Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm looking to try out the android way-of-life for a change from my iphone 5. There's nothing particularly wrong with my iphone (except the battery dying at 20% but that can be fixed apparently), I just fancy a change.

I've been doing a lot of research and have narrowed my choice *I think* to either the Nexus 5, S4, or HTC One. THe LG G2 is a bit out of my price point. I'm also unsure about the mini version of the S4 or HTC One - there isn't really a phone shop around here for me to go and see.

I like the idea of pure google but have been reading the battery life on the N5 isn't up to much. The One does look really swish but if it turns out I don't like sense I guess I could flash it with CM11 or something similar?

If anyone has any opinions / devices i've overlooked then i'd love to hear about them. We can't get the Moto X here in the UK or I would probably have gone for that.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
If you just want a change to experience Android, the Nexus 5 would be a good option at a lower price point.

On the other hand, if you're looking for extras, such as SD card support (s4) , fancy speakers (HTC One), then consider the other phones.

If you want the full Android experience, complete with rooting and Roms, then the Nexus 5 would be my suggestion. Other OEMs are making rooting and flashing Roms on their devices progressively difficult.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Thanks Viskon, I'm leaning toward the n5. I like the idea of it having a rubbery back too so they it won't need a case. Any thoughts on the battery of them? The n5 apparently doesn't last a day of use?!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Thanks Viskon, I'm leaning toward the n5. I like the idea of it having a rubbery back too so they it won't need a case. Any thoughts on the battery of them? The n5 apparently doesn't last a day of use?!

This is very untrue. I have found that with light/moderate use, I can go about 24-30 hours between charges. I followed another poster's advice and watch closely for those rogue apps that are poorly written and cause wake lock. My battery life was awful the other day and after investigating, I found that my banking app was causing all of the problems.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
That's good to hear then! I saw some htc ones going for a not bad price on eBay so will keep an eye on them but will probably go with the n5

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
If you're up for it and experienced enough you can go for the HTC one and fully convert it to and from a Google play edition device with full over the air updates direct from Google/HTC.

That's what I did with my black HTC one but you need to be able to achieve s-off on it (which is possible using rumrunner).
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/rumrunner-s-off-now-working-on-international-htc-one/

I'm also assuming you're going for a gsm handset over acdma one.

Other than that, the nexus 5 would be a good choice to experience android in a pure form, easily boot loader unlocked and locked too.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Thanks Chaz, yes I'd be going for the gsm version, I'm on Tmobile here in the UK.

I'm now leaning more toward the one because of the better camera. Any suggestions on best places to buy sim free?

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Galaxy Note 3

I sold my IPhone and bought the Galaxy Note 3, very pleased..I like the IPhone but bigger screen and 2 days of battery life..

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Any of those phone scan either run a launcher or a rom to give you a stock google experience. I was under the assumption the gs4 had the better camera of those three

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Just wanted to give you all a quick update - thanks for all your advice. I've bought a HTC one on ebay! Quite excited about it arriving and having a play. No doubt i'll be back with questions when it gets here.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The n5 apparently doesn't last a day of use?!

I've been getting very good battery life, but then I'm careful about what apps I install.

Screenshot-3.png

Screenshot-4.png

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia

You might wanna get a case for N5 as I have seen so many complaints about how the gorilla 3 glass couldn't even hold up a drop from armrest of a sofa to floor. Google 'nexus 5 screen shatter', you will find tons of posts about it.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
You might wanna get a case for N5 as I have seen so many complaints about how the gorilla 3 glass couldn't even hold up a drop from armrest of a sofa to floor. Google 'nexus 5 screen shatter', you will find tons of posts about it.

Every phone with a glass front has a risk of shattering.

Google '[insert phone here] screen shatter', you will find tons of posts about it.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
Every phone with a glass front has a risk of shattering.

Google '[insert phone here] screen shatter', you will find tons of posts about it.

But the nexus 5 is ridiculously fragile. Shattered by dropping from an armrest of a sofa to the floor...that's not normal at all. some people even mentioned the screen just cracked by itself...-_-" I was looking forward to switching to nexus 5 from iphone 5. Now I guess I will just stick with iphone.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
But the nexus 5 is ridiculously fragile. Shattered by dropping from an armrest of a sofa to the floor...that's not normal at all. some people even mentioned the screen just cracked by itself...-_-" I was looking forward to switching to nexus 5 from iphone 5. Now I guess I will just stick with iphone.

Your whole premise is ridiculous.

Google "iphone screen cracked by itself" and you will get many, many results.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Your whole premise is ridiculous.

Google "iphone screen cracked by itself" and you will get many, many results.

Hahaha I find it laughable when people use these types of arguments to "try" and prove a point. They say "zomg Google blah blah blah and you will get a bunch of results. If it's on the Internetz that means I'm right and you're wrong!" People don't understand that you can Google anything and at some point find relevant posts somewhere online. All phones have problems somewhere along the line. And those problems are mentioned somewhere on the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.