Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:50 AM   #1
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Knockout Game a Hate Crime

Perhaps in this case, the recorded material on his cell phone was enough to sway authorities to seek the hate crime charge. But I thought it was an interesting turn of events, that a crime popularly associated with African-Americans would be charged as a hate crime when allegedly perpetrated by a white man on a black.

I'm not trying to say that this charge is unfair or unevenly handed out. I don't know the specifics of this or other attacks. But this case could set a precedent, and it may increase the demand for other knockout attacks to be treated as hate crimes, especially there's a racial component involved.

Quote:
'Knockout game' attack leads to hate crime charge
By MICHAEL GRACZYK, Associated Press | December 26, 2013 | Updated: December 27, 2013 6:08am

HOUSTON (AP) — A white Houston-area man was arrested Thursday on federal hate crimes charges for allegedly shooting video of himself sucker-punching a 79-year-old black man in a "knockout game"-style attack.

Conrad Alvin Barrett, 27, made a brief appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Frances Stacy, who scheduled a detention hearing for the Katy man on Friday.

According to prosecutors, the attack happened Nov. 24 in Katy, but it wasn't until 12 days later that authorities connected the attack to the cellphone video of it.

The attack video doesn't show Barrett's face, but investigators matched his voice to the voice in the video and the couple at the restaurant told investigators that Barrett was wearing the same shorts and shoes at the person who shot the video.

According to prosecutors, the video shows Barrett approach the victim and ask, "How's it going, man?" A "loud smack" is then heard, the victim falls to the ground, Barrett laughs and says, "Knockout." The assailant then flees in his vehicle.

The victim lost three teeth and needed surgery to repair his jaw, which had been broken in two places. He was hospitalized for more than four days, authorities said.

Investigators retrieved other videos from Barrett's phone, including some in which he uses racial epithets and talks about trying to work up the courage to play the knockout game, the complaint states. In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson said Thursday that such crimes won't be tolerated.

"Evidence of hate crimes will be vigorously investigated and prosecuted with the assistance of all our partners to the fullest extent of the law," Magidson said.

If convicted of the hate crime charge, Barrett could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison and fined up to $250,000.

http://www.chron.com/default/article...ge-5094012.php
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
...I thought it was an interesting turn of events, that a crime popularly associated with African-Americans...
Are you sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockou...m_of_reporting

The perpetrator in this 1992 attack looks pretty white to me:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...out+game&hl=en
miloblithe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Hate crime?

On what grounds? Did the attacker say anything about the crime being related to the victim being black.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloblithe View Post
Are you sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockou...m_of_reporting

The perpetrator in this 1992 attack looks pretty white to me:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...out+game&hl=en
I take your links and raise you 1,000,000

www.worldstarhiphop.com/
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloblithe View Post
Are you sure about that?
No, I'm not sure about that.

That's why I used the words, "popularly associated".

Popular associations are often not true.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I take your links and raise you 1,000,000

www.worldstarhiphop.com/
????

Am I supposed to glean something relevant to this conversation from the top 10 best dunks of 2013?

Edit: Oh, no, I get it now. It was the Twerking Merry Christmas video. Thank you, and a Merry Twerking Christmas to you and your family.
miloblithe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
On what grounds? Did the attacker say anything about the crime being related to the victim being black.
From the article...

Quote:
Investigators retrieved other videos from Barrett's phone, including some in which he uses racial epithets and talks about trying to work up the courage to play the knockout game, the complaint states. In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen
Popular associations are often not true.
We have evidence that both black people and white people are playing the game, provided, of course, that it is actually a game, and not isolated incidents being blown out of proportion to get people to tune into the news in order to find if they...could be next.

One thing we know for a fact is that idiocy doesn't know any racial or haplotypic boundaries, so really, anyone could do it.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:52 PM   #7
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
We have evidence that both black people and white people are playing the game, provided, of course, that it is actually a game, and not isolated incidents being blown out of proportion to get people to tune into the news in order to find if they...could be next.
Totally agree.

Quote:
One thing we know for a fact is that idiocy doesn't know any racial or haplotypic boundaries, so really, anyone could do it.
Agreed as well.

I'm just reluctant to bring the hate crime element into it, because that will now bring more pressure to apply it in other cases. I can see where it's just going to ratchet up tensions.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
From the article...

He had to "work up" the courage to hurt a 79-year-old black man. Guess he didn't work very long.

The saddest thing about this knockout game is the number of women and elderly being hurt. You have to be a real piece of garbage to go down this road.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I'm just reluctant to bring the hate crime element into it, because that will now bring more pressure to apply it in other cases. I can see where it's just going to ratchet up tensions.
I agree with you there. Summary judgements for specific types of crimes are never a good idea in my opinion, because it has the potential to punish someone for something they didn't necessarily do, even if they are ultimately guilty of a criminal act. Everything should be taken on a case by case basis.

But in this guy's case, I'd say it's pretty apt when you consider the evidence. He stated on record that he wanted to punch a black guy because he was black, and threw out a few racial slurs for added flavor. If it were an otherwise random attack, without any supporting evidence, I'd be a little uncomfortable calling it a hate crime too. But here, the shoe fits, so they're making him wear it.

Quote:
The saddest thing about this knockout game is the number of women and elderly being hurt. You have to be a real piece of garbage to go down this road.
No doubt about that. Regardless of race, sex, or creed, it's just a low thing to do.

Last edited by Renzatic; Dec 27, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:34 PM   #10
jkcerda
In Time-Out

play stupid games/win stupid prizes, the punk took on a 79 Y/O dude. hope they fry him.
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 05:31 AM   #11
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hate crime?

http://news.yahoo.com/39-knockout-ga...012237553.html

Quote:
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 05:41 AM   #12
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

It is only a hate crime if a white person is the aggressor.

If you disagree you are a racist!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 06:03 AM   #13
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
It is only a hate crime if a white person is the aggressor.

If you disagree you are a racist!
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nolds-oak-park

http://www.examiner.com/article/hate...ssenger-ablaze

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1393691.html

Need more examples to disprove your post?
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues