Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave the Great

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
As an example, download the free BattleStar Galactica movie from iTunes. When I try to burn it to a DVD I get an error message. How can I put it on a DVD or CD?

Thanks.
Merry Christmas!!

Dave the Great

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
lordj4000 said:
you don't.

Edit: You can't burn it as a dvd to watch in a standalone, if your just trying to back up the movie though, you should just be able to copy it to a burn folder and burn it.

Yes, thank you.

I wasn't thinking that it was mpeg-4. Too much Christmas spirit, I suppose. Yes, I can back it up, but I was hoping to be able to play it.

Thanks again and thanks for the quick response!!

chitown0324

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2005
Are you sure you're unable to do this. I was told that if you decode the file that you may be able to burn itunes video files to playable dvd format. Is there anyone who knows how to do this or is POSITIVE you can't do this (if so, I am returning my new dvd burner).

lordj4000

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2005
In unfathomable darkness
chitown0324 said:
Are you sure you're unable to do this. I was told that if you decode the file that you may be able to burn itunes video files to playable dvd format. Is there anyone who knows how to do this or is POSITIVE you can't do this (if so, I am returning my new dvd burner).
Apple's drm scheme won't let you burn it as a dvd. If someone wrote a program like that does the same thing to video that jhymn does to music, then you could.

Or you could just complain to apple and see what happens.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
lordj4000 said:
Apple's drm scheme won't let you burn it as a dvd. If someone wrote a program like that does the same thing to video that jhymn does to music, then you could.

That is odd. Even with DRM you can burn music to a CD. You would think that you would be able to burn video to a DVD?? Maybe a new update for iTunes?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
MacAficionado said:
Even if you could the quality would not be that good. You don't want to do it. :eek:

But, of course, that's the whole argument as to why we should be allowed to. We pay almost as much for these videos as we would to buy the DVDs (look at the price for the all of season 1 of BSG - $25.87 - vs. buying the same thing on DVD new from Amazon.com - $38.99). With DVDs we'd get far better video quality, etc. The argument for allowing the burning of CDs is that downloaded songs burned to CD provides a lower quality than store bought CDs. So, the same thing follows.

Why would we want to do this? Well, to be able to watch them on something other than our computers, of course. I doubt most people have a computer that they can readily hook up to their TVs, and most of us would rather watch a movie or TV show on the TV, even if the quality leaves a bit to be desired, than on our computer screen.

I attempted a back-door method of doing this. Using iDVD I tried to burn an epidsode to a disk. It claimed to successfully burn the disk, but when I tried to play it, I got nothing but a grey screen. So, I for one will keep my eyes open for a more reasonable implementation of this downloadable video business.

After all, it shouldn't be that hard to do this in an eminently reasonable way. The DVD encoding can be set to write in the iTunes account name that downloaded it, so it if were misused it could be traced back to the original user. And other steps could be taken as well. Why not limit the number of burns to a total of 2 or 3? Who would need more than 3 copies of a TV episode for legitimate reasons?

Am I wrong??

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
watcher2001 said:
Maybe a new update for iTunes?
i hope you can import a dvd for use on your ipod through itunes like you can with an audio CD.... but for now handbrake is a god send :D

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
I use a standalone DVD recorder to transfer purchased videos to a DVD. I hook my iPod up to it using a camcorder cable and voilà!

Crull

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2006
lordj4000 said:

Yes, iTunes will let you burn a playlist, but you're only burning a data CD/DVD. It won't be playable in an DVD player. I've tried to bump the MPEG4 video through a video editing program to see if it can be burned through that software rather than iTunes, to no avail.

Complaining to Apple probably isn't going to solve much at this point. It's not Apple who's stopping it, it's be the MPAA/Content lisense holders. Apple, I would think, would want you to be able to burn DVD's as it increases the usefulness of iTunes as a digital content distribution channel. The issue, as the "content owners" would see it is that once you rip the video or get it in to a format that can be burned, that means it can also be edited, modified, reproduced, etc.

Now, that's an issue that's going to have to be addressed, because a JHymn type application to strip DRM from video is just a matter of time.

For now, it causes me to question whether or not to buy an iPod Video. I've purchased the BSG miniseries and watched it on my laptop. I can't really see sitting around watching that on an iPod Video (unless I had a subway commute or something, which I don't).

Let's just hope there's someone out there already working on software that'll strip out the DRM... since I did pay for the video anyway.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
ignus graius said:
I use a standalone DVD recorder to transfer purchased videos to a DVD. I hook my iPod up to it using a camcorder cable and voilà!
Let's see...

The iTMS video (which itself is highly lossy compressed) gets decoded by the iPod video chip into an analogue format. Gets shot through noisy A/V cables into the DVD recorder. The DVD recorder takes the analogue signal and performs a hardware MPEG2 encode before burning.

Sounds like the quality hit might be pretty big.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I think Apple needs to work out a deal so that people have the option to buy the physical DVD boxed set of XYZ TV series, and via a product code or something, be able to purchase and download the iPod-format series for something like 4.99. Or alternatively, have movies, audiobooks, etc come with a secondary, built-in iPod-formated version of the media that allows you to easily rip it to your computer, and then to your iPod.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Lacero said:
Let's see...

The iTMS video (which itself is highly lossy compressed) gets decoded by the iPod video chip into an analogue format. Gets shot through noisy A/V cables into the DVD recorder. The DVD recorder takes the analogue signal and performs a hardware MPEG2 encode before burning.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Probably, but it's 320x240 video anyways, so even if it transfers perfectly it'll look like fuzzy bigfoot footage on a TV.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Standard TV is not VGA -- but effective resolution is close

Standard TV is not VGA -- VGA came about in 1989 or something, TV has been around since the 40's. They are very different concepts. But the effective resolution of standard TV (analog video like that is rarely discussed (properly) in terms of pixels) is pretty close to VGA, you're right. I actually think it's something like 576 wide by 400 high (I could look it up, but frankly I'm too lazy to go hunting for half an hour to find it).

The question is, for those who've already done it, how does iPod video look when hooked up to a TV? It's a built-in feature of the iPod video. People do it. If that looks decent, then capping it to DVD through an analog-to-digital recorder wouldn't be too terrible.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Lacero said:
Let's see...

Here's to the Crazy Ones
Um, in case it's not obvious, anyone looking to transfer iPod-sized videos to DVD isn't going to be expecting Hollywood-quality video. Considering that the quality is already going to be shabby (320x240), the difference between the DVD fullscreen and the iPod video fullscreen is indiscernible on a standard TV, and barely noticeable on a computer screen.

The quality is comparable to VHS most of the time, unless there's a lot of detail in the picture (wide shots).

Brookietory

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
Backup

Ok I see where you can burn onto DVDs but not play the DVDs on devices such as TVs but you can use the DVDs as backup. My question is, using it as backup, can you delete the episodes or movie off of your iTunes so as not to take up space an just pop in the DVD when you wanna watch it? Answers would be appreciated! Thanks!!

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
1st off, well done for resurrecting a thread from so long ago, now to the answer.

Yes you can delete the file from iTunes if you have a backup copy stored. As when you put it back into iTunes, it will check with the store to make sure that you are authorised to play the video. Alternatively, iTunes now let's you re-download previously purchased content for free. Just go to the iTunes store, on the right hand side there is a section which contains purchased, click on that and you'll be able to see everything that you've ever downloaded from iTunes, if it's still on the store, you can even click a button to get it to show only content not on your mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.