Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awarlock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks in advance for any help! Here is my current setup.

Stock nMP 6-Core.
(1) USB 4-Bay Enclosure
Windows 7

I am finding out that the nMP does not support Windows 7 via Bootcamp so, I need to upgrade to Windows 8.0 or 8.1

Windows 7 or 8 will not boot in a USB enclosure.

So I have do to what? Microsoft does not seem to sell a FULL version of Windows 8 or 8.1 on their website, only upgrades? I did see a FULL install version on Amazon though? I do have a FULL Windows 7 Ultimate DVD plus I do have a USB Blu-ray drive to install the Windows 7 from but then I need to upgrade somehow from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

So do I need to partition the 256GB nMP Flash Storage, install Windows 7 on the partition then upgrade to Windows 8.1 with a USB Flash Drive? But then again, doesn't Windows 7 need to be running in order to upgrade it to Windows 8? And I can't get Windows 7 to run because Bootcamp doesn't support it?

Just trying to do this once and not experiment around getting it to work.
Thanks again for any help.

Update: When I called Microsoft the first time, a little while ago, I was told, by the Microsoft representive, Microsoft did not sell FULL versions, only upgrades. I just called in again and was told Microsoft does sell the FULL version of 8.1, so at this moment, I went ahead and purchased it for downloading. So, I guess I will see where I get with that. It was only $120 plus backup disc, plus sales tax. I did not see a reason to get the 8.1 PRO version at this time for $200.

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I think you need to go back to your old setup, upgrade to Win8, package it up using WinClone, and then migrate to the nMP...

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
You can certainly purchase the full (not upgrade) install set for Windows 8.1. Try resellers like Amazon.

ETA: Bones13 beat me to it.

awarlock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Be prepared if using Bootcamp!!

WOW! Even Microsoft doesn't know what is going on with their own product. I called Microsoft because I finally thought it might just be easier to order a NEW FULL copy of Windows 8 and download it.

I went ahead and partitioned my 256GB 6-Core nMP SSD so that I could install Windows 8 there.

(1) 1st time I called in, I was told by the Microsoft representative that they did not sell FULL versions, only upgrades. Amazon even sells FULL versions! So that pretty much ended that call.

(2) I called back in and inquired again stressing that I did not want an upgrade version and that I ONLY wanted a FULL version that I could install from scratch. I was told no problem and preceded spending $146 on what is supposed to be a downloadable (so I was told) FULL version which also included (at my request, not Microsoft's) a Backup Disc.

(3) So I get back on my nMP and went to download the file and it is an .exe file. I guessed I figured I was going to get an ISO file or something like that. This was a very small .exe file that only took like 5 to 10 secs. to d/l.

(4) So, great, I can't open it with the nMP so I go back to my old 2008 Mac Pro, boot up via Bootcamp in Windows 7, and go back to the online Microsoft Store, login to my account, and d/l the .exe file again. When I clicked on the file to run it, a window pops ups asking me for the Product Key, and I am like thinking this thing is getting ready to upgrade Windows 7 on my 2008 Mac Pro to 8.1 so I stopped immediately.

(5) I call the Microsoft Store again, got someone else, explained the whole situation again, explaining that I do not want an Upgrade version, just the FULL version, to install on a completely different computer. After a while and putting me on hold a couple of times, the Microsoft rep tells me that I have the correct version, but . . . , I have to wait for the physical copy of the backup disc to show up and then I can install off of that. Understand that I am the one that requested the Backup copy, the Microsoft rep never even suggested it!! I explained that is not what I was told and was told sorry, sorry, but I will have to wait. I asked how long? 3 to 5 days.

Well, my nMP works fine and the only thing I can be irked a little at Apple about is requiring the nMP only work with Windows 8+, which I understand really sucks. If Apple would have let the nMP and Bootcamp work with Windows 7, I would have been up and going by now, I think. So, for now, I will still be using my old 2008 Mac Pro for all things Windows related. I just hope that Backup disc works as planned. Fortunately, I have a USB Blu-ray drive to read it!

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
What you downladed, the .exe, is Microsoft's Windows 8.1 ISO downloader. Excuse my French, but it's BS. Honestly, (hope recommending this isn't against the rules, but) I would go ahead and find a Windows 8 or 8.1 OEM ISO or use an install disc from a friend and use the 3 day grace period to get it all up and running, then when Microsoft calls you back with a product key, go ahead and activate your system properly. I was forced into Windows 8.1 through hardware incompatibility with Win7, so needless to say I didn't know whether the system would work. I borrowed a disc from my friend (used Disk Utility to create the ISO I needed) and installed that way, then got my product key when I knew it would function properly.

awarlock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1688355/

You should be able to find multiple versions of windows install disks at amazon and newegg. Eom and retail.

Well, I am probably stuck waiting for this physical copy now since it is bought and payed for. I did go to the other forum noted above and think most of what was said there had to do with TB drives or TB enclosures? I would have preferred a Thunderbolt enclosure but that $600 to $800 price range was just more than I could afford at this time. I settled for a USB enclosure. Someone stated that they installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp on the nMP? My Bootcamp clearly stated that Windows 8 or later is required and when I attempted to use my FULL version of Windows 7 DVD, it would not let me, as I recall.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Last edited:

awarlock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
What you downladed, the .exe, is Microsoft's Windows 8.1 ISO downloader. Excuse my French, but it's BS. Honestly, (hope recommending this isn't against the rules, but) I would go ahead and find a Windows 8 or 8.1 OEM ISO or use an install disc from a friend and use the 3 day grace period to get it all up and running, then when Microsoft calls you back with a product key, go ahead and activate your system properly.

I have the product key but I do not know anyone that has a Windows 8 ISO disc to borrow. I got really concerned when Windows 7, on my old computer, ran that .exe file and it immediately asked me for my Product Key because I figured Windows 7 was going to update to Windows 8.1 which was not where I wanted Windows 8.1 installed. Maybe there are ways of getting around this via WinClone, as someone mentioned. Thanks again.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I have the product key but I do not know anyone that has a Windows 8 ISO disc to borrow. I got really concerned when Windows 7, on my old computer, ran that .exe file and it immediately asked me for my Product Key because I figured Windows 7 was going to update to Windows 8.1 which was not where I wanted Windows 8.1 installed. Maybe there are ways of getting around this via WinClone, as someone mentioned. Thanks again.

The .exe should not update your Windows 7, it SHOULD just download the ISO for you. It might attempt to do so once the ISO is downloaded, but just close it out and create a USB from the ISO. Should work fine.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

As NOTNlCE said, you need to use that tool to download Windows 8 ISO on to your win 7 machine. Win 8.0, not 8.1 as that is an upgrade to Win 8 not a clean installer. Then you can burn it to DVD or set up a USB device using the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool. Here is one method of how to do that,there are others online:

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/09/14/how-to-install-windows-8-from-usb-key/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.