Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

How Accurate Is The Bible?

I found this very interesting. I know the Bible is considered one of the most (if not the most) accurate historical document. But the link below looked like a good explanation why for those who have not looked at this before.

http://www.neverthirsty.org/pp/other...the-bible.html

Thought this was a good read considering most of us just celebrated the birth of Christ. I hope everyone had a great Christmas this year.

Edit: It can be a long read. Some of the more interesting stuff begins where you see the bold "All Those Errors..." just an fyi in case you don't have time, or do not wish to read the entire thing.

Last edited by tshrimp; Dec 27, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:25 PM   #2
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
... I know the Bible is considered one of the most (if not the most) accurate historical document. ...
Citation needed.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I found this very interesting. I know the Bible is considered one of the most (if not the most) accurate historical document. But the link below looked like a good explanation why for those who have not looked at this before.

Thought this was a good read considering most of us just celebrated the birth of Christ. I hope everyone had a great Christmas this year.

Edit: It can be a long read. Some of the more interesting stuff begins where you see the bold "All Those Errors..." just an fyi in case you don't have time, or do not wish to read the entire thing.
A couple of interesting assertions.

As far as most of us celebrating the birth of christ...below is a world breakdown of religions...note that not "most of us" are christian.

As far as the bible being "the most historically accurate document"...well, any document that asserts someone rose from the dead may be an article of faith, but as far as historical accuracy goes...highly questionable for many of us.

Adherent estimates[edit]

Size of Major Religious Groups, 2012
Religion Percent
Christian

31.5%
Muslim

23.1%
Unaffiliated

16.4%
Hindu

15.0%
Buddhist *

7.1%
Folk

5.9%
Other
0.8%
Jewish
0.2%
Pew Research Center, 2012[2]
Adherents.com says "Sizes shown are approximate estimates, and are here mainly for the purpose of ordering the groups, not providing a definitive number".[3]

Religion Adherents
Christianity 2.1 billion
Islam 1.5 billion
Secular*/Nonreligious*/Agnostic/Atheist ≤ 1.1 billion
Hinduism 1 billion
Chinese traditional religion* 394 million
Buddhism* 376 million - 1.2 billion
Primal-Indigenous religions 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic religions 100 million
Sikhism 28 million
Shinto 27-65 million
Juche* 19 million
Spiritism 15 million
Judaism 14 million
Baha'i 7 million
Jainism 5 million
Cao Dai 4 million
Tenrikyo 2 million
Neo-Paganism 1 million
Unitarian Universalism 800,000
Rastafarianism 600,000
Zoroastrianism 145,000

Source
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:

....Just no.
Moyank24 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Considering that the very first paragraph asserts that a single entity called "god" wrote every word, I find your source somewhat suspect. There are contradictory creation stories side-by-side in Genesis, and the whole anthology of myth and quasi-historical oral tradition was collated and edited by an exiled priesthood/aristocracy in part to reassert their claims to the lands their ancestors had occupied by force, and to reconstruct a more-or-less coherent historical identity as the chosen ones, even if their adoption of monotheism was both gradual and incomplete.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:30 PM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
I found this very interesting. I know the Bible is considered one of the most (if not the most) accurate historical document.

And Phil Robertson is one of our most treasured biblical scholars.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Wow! This thread has an amazing premise.

What's the point in even posting it? The answers are obvious from the start.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Citation needed.
He does not need to cite anything, he knows.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:53 PM   #9
iJohnHenry
Banned

The 'Bible' is fraught with revisionism.

No document should be immutable.
iJohnHenry is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
The 'Bible' is fraught with revisionism.

No document should be immutable.
Not true. Whatever you ultimately think of The Bible, it is one of the most accurately documented, well maintained pieces of literature in existence. It's changed very little over the course of 2000 years.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:59 PM   #11
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Not true. Whatever you ultimately think of The Bible, it is one of the most accurately documented, well maintained pieces of literature in existence. It's changed very little over the course of 2000 years.
So has Homer.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
So has Homer.
Homer's probably had a little bit of drift.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:06 PM   #13
localoid
macrumors 68020

Visual aid #1
Thumb resize.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:06 PM   #14
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Homer's probably had a little bit of drift.
If you're referring to the Odyssey, then quite a lot!

But Homer is remarkably accurate in his depiction of Bronze Age life, and remarkably free of anachronism, two areas in which the Tanakh is variously suspect.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:15 PM   #15
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
If you're referring to the Odyssey, then quite a lot!

But Homer is remarkably accurate in his depiction of Bronze Age life, and remarkably free of anachronism, two areas in which the Tanakh is variously suspect.
Stop using your brain to recall facts. They are of no use in this thread.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:17 PM   #16
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Sorry, my mistake. I'll get my coat.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:23 PM   #17
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Sure, the printed word is so much more accurate.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:35 PM   #18
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Any "historical" record which has to include individual lifespans of hundreds of years to make sense of its supposed chronology has to be somewhat questionable, surely?

Leaving aside the cosmogenic codswallop, of course.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:39 PM   #19
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Wasn't the whole thing essentially revised and refocused at the council of nicea?

Given that religions were a forerunner of governance, why do people accept it as a truth instead of a political document?
NT1440 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:46 PM   #20
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Wasn't the whole thing essentially revised and refocused at the council of nicea?
It's cool, God was acting as Editor-in-Chief.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
The text wasn't revised at all, though they did pick the books that ended up going into what we now know of as The Bible.

Like the 4 gospels? I think there's about 50 of them floating around, the Gospel of Thomas being the most famous unofficial one. There are some rumors that the council did ignore any books that spoke of a more feminine aspect to God, though. So what's currently in The Bible might not necessarily be "The Word of God" as God intended, assuming that there is a God to intend such things.

...but what is in there is accurately translated, barring a few occasional instances of weird wording or phrasing, and almost completely unmolested from the original texts they were based off of all those centuries ago.
Renzatic is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:08 PM   #22
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
The text wasn't revised at all, though they did pick the books that ended up going into what we now know of as The Bible.

Like the 4 gospels? I think there's about 50 of them floating around, the Gospel of Thomas being the most famous unofficial one. There are some rumors that the council did ignore any books that spoke of a more feminine aspect to God, though. So what's currently in The Bible might not necessarily be "The Word of God" as God intended, assuming that there is a God to intend such things.

...but what is in there is accurately translated, barring a few occasional instances of weird wording or phrasing, and almost completely unmolested from the original texts they were based off of all those centuries ago.
Feminine aspect?

No, God clearly has a huge penis.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:13 PM   #23
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
I think his balls are even more impressive.

He has a pissing contest going in that regard with allah.
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:15 PM   #24
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Feminine aspect?

That Mary umm nm
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:17 PM   #25
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

It really should not come as a surprise that some aspects of the Bible are historically accurate.

If today I wrote a book about somebody I believed was the messiah, I wouldn't make up names for the cities and states around us. I wouldn't make up the political leaders. I wouldn't make up the cultural institutions and customs.

That story was supposed to inspire the people of that time. How inspirational would it be if it were totally made up? People would have asked, "what's this town, 'Franistan'? I've never heard of that. And who is this King 'Nerdstrom'?"

So of course it was grounded in some reality. Otherwise the story would have no credibility whatsoever.
citizenzen is online now   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues