Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

You know, the news.......I just don't know anymore...

Quote:
SC woman charged with stabbing husband with a ceramic squirrel

A South Carolina woman was held on a domestic abuse charge for allegedly stabbing her common-law husband with a decorative ceramic squirrel when he came home late on Christmas Eve without any beer.

The woman, Helen Ann Williams, 44, of an address on Clifton Street in North Charleston, was in the Charleston County jail on $10,000 cash bond, jail records showed Friday. She faces a hearing in Charleston County Circuit Court in April on a felony charge of domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature.

According to the police report, Williams' 41-year-old husband set out to buy some beer late Tuesday night, but he returned home empty-handed because the stores were closed.

That enraged Williams, according to the report, and as her husband set about making himself a sandwich, she picked up the ceramic squirrel and conked him over the head with it. Then she stabbed him in the chest with it, the report said.

The man fled to a neighbor's home to call 911, and when officers arrived shortly after midnight — on Christmas Day by now — they found him covered in blood with cuts on his shoulder and face, according to the report. When he took off his shirt, they found a big gash in his chest, it said.

Initially, Williams tried to persuade police that her husband fell, but officers were skeptical because she also had blood on her hands and clothes, the report said.

Williams' husband was treated at a hospital for non-life-threatening wounds, NBC station WCBD of Charleston reported.

The condition of the squirrel wasn't reported.
It's that last line that really bugs the hell out of me. Really, NBC? And this is posted (from the website front page, no less) under "US and World News"?

Cripes, and I all but gave up on CNN's website because it was becoming too tabloidy.
Thomas Veil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Huntn
macrumors 604

Humor, I like it , although probably not completely appropriate for a serious news organization, lol.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
copykris
macrumors 6502a

i can appreciate it
copykris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4
dec.
macrumors 6502a

At least they didn't come up with something tacky like "ban ceramic squirrels!!,,!!,!"...
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Cracker Barrel announced this morning that they are removing ceramic squirrels from their shops.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
At least they didn't come up with something tacky like "ban ceramic squirrels!!,,!!,!"...
Mandated Squirrel Safety Course seems appropriate...
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:25 AM   #7
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Humor, I like it , although probably not completely appropriate for a serious news organization ...
Yeah. I'd personally leave that comment for the water cooler.

It doesn't belong in the story.

Poor form, NBC.com. Poor form.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:29 AM   #8
copykris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
there should probably be a ten day waiting period for buying ceramic squirrels though
copykris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by copykris View Post
there should probably be a ten day waiting period for buying ceramic squirrels though
The NSA has their lobbyists in Washington working on blocking that move already.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 04:38 PM   #10
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Oh come'on!

That last line is a hilarious kick and a sign that someone is actually thinking about the details of the story.

Crime reporting is for tough people who can endure a hundred impossibly sad and cruel truths about human behavior, so when someone writes a story about a guy who got stabbed by a ceramic rodent (and survived) for screwing up the beer run, you can bet that the reporter laughed a dark little laugh and showed it to his desk editor.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 04:47 PM   #11
CaptMurdock
macrumors 6502a

Ceramic squirrels don't kill people. People kill people.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 06:06 PM   #12
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

this should be in current events.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 06:16 PM   #13
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Oh come'on!

That last line is a hilarious kick and a sign that someone is actually thinking about the details of the story.

Crime reporting is for tough people who can endure a hundred impossibly sad and cruel truths about human behavior, so when someone writes a story about a guy who got stabbed by a ceramic rodent (and survived) for screwing up the beer run, you can bet that the reporter laughed a dark little laugh and showed it to his desk editor.
No, no, no no, no.

As much as you may have enjoyed that little bit of levity, it concerned a crime where someone was seriously injured. That is never a time to bust out a little humor.

Had the victim been a woman or a child, I doubt anyone would have remotely considered that ending. How is it possible that in this case, adding a humorous twist to an otherwise ugly story is appropriate?

It's not.
citizenzen is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:03 PM   #14
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
No, no, no no, no.

As much as you may have enjoyed that little bit of levity, it concerned a crime where someone was seriously injured. That is never a time to bust out a little humor.

Had the victim been a woman or a child, I doubt anyone would have remotely considered that ending. How is it possible that in this case, adding a humorous twist to an otherwise ugly story is appropriate?

It's not.
I might be concerned if I knew the people, but, there are a lot of things going on in this world that I don't know about, nor do I have time to know about.

Your real annoyance is that this was in the "news" as opposed to The Star (does it still exist?), the Mail, or, Fox News?

I agree with you that most "news" these days is much more about entertainment than it was from 1945-1980. But then, a lot of things were better back then. We sure have better computers and phones now, though; you have to admit that.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:23 PM   #15
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Your real annoyance is that this was in the "news" as opposed to The Star (does it still exist?), the Mail, or, Fox News?
My annoyance is that news stories are not meant to be vehicles for comedy when the story involves pain and suffering.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:10 PM   #16
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My annoyance is that news stories are not meant to be vehicles for comedy when the story involves pain and suffering.
It is tough. "News and entertainment" is a category now. People today won't take bitter medicine without some NutraSweet to get it down.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:24 PM   #17
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Is it even news to begin with?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:34 PM   #18
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No, no, no no, no.

It's not.
Dark humor is appropriate sometimes. Had the story been about a child, certainly that's an entirely different story.

People wound each other all the time, but understanding the story, even through humor is important. Try being around the rest of the gallows crew, like nurses, firefighters and police officers, not to mention soldiers, and you start to get where the lines of appropriate fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
Is it even news to begin with?
It's crime reporting, which is basically a reporter looking at the blotter of local crimes and writing up the most unique, prominent, or impactful crimes. This is a good news service, you want a reporter looking at crime to ensure that police are responding appropriately and that trends in crime are covered.

This means that someone writes up the ceramic squirrel story and it gets some attention nationally.

It beats giving more grafs to Sarah Palin.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's crime reporting, which is basically a reporter looking at the blotter of local crimes and writing up the most unique, prominent, or impactful crimes.
Does this explain why we are having a "pervasive epidemic" of the Knockout Game?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 01:15 AM   #20
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Does this explain why we are having a "pervasive epidemic" of the Knockout Game?
Well, the crime reporter could actually tell you whether the act was actually the "Knockout Game" or a mugging, or two guys getting into a fight over a girl because she's read the blotter from the night. (Note: many police departments use a crime reporting/tracking system, but I like blotter as a description).

The trend reporters can look for a series of events and try to do some analysis and figure out if there's a "pervasive epidemic" or just happenstance.

And, then there's Fox News, which searches through local reports for something to keen about.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 04:04 AM   #21
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

The thing is, if you want to make a smart-ass crack because the story is a little odd, then put the story under "News of the Weird", not in the (supposedly) hard news section. If I were the editor of the story, however, I wouldn't have let that last line into the article at all. The story is odd enough on its own. It doesn't need the reporter's attempts to channel Henny Youngman.

I was raised in the day when news was news and entertainment was entertainment. Then the TV networks started making the movie "Network" come true, crossing entertainment with news all over the place. Look at how people like Tamron Hall and John Quinones are asked to jump back and forth from solid news reporting to features on the Today show or programs like "What Would You Do?"
Thomas Veil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 06:58 AM   #22
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Sigh.

One week.

That's all I ask.

Can my state please go one week without being in the news?

At leasat I can be comforted by the fact that it didn't happen in my OH WTF!? SERIOUSLY CHARLESTON? C'MON!
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:50 AM   #23
samiwas
macrumors 65816

I don't know…sometimes, there's just comedy gold in some stories:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...174159531.html

Giant pancakes? That would be amazing.

Of course, that's a much less-serious story.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:40 PM   #24
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This is a good news service, you want a reporter looking at crime to ensure that police are responding appropriately and that trends in crime are covered.
You'd have to be incredibly naive to believe this. The article is by no means written as a means to reflect on the adequate nature of law enforcement. Especially given what this thread is discussing.

Such an article is completely designed to get page views for advertising dollars. There is zero merit for public need to know the contents of such a domestic dispute. It is entirely for entertainment purposes.

News journalism is in it's death throes.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 05:20 PM   #25
MacNut
macrumors P6

Journalism died with Cronkite. There was no sensationalism or a reason to report a story for 24 hours.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues