Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canvasback13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
I apologize in advance for what may be a stupid question.

I am about to order my first apple laptop, an 11" Air with 1.7,ghz 8mb, and 512 flash. I am curious if I need the external drive. If i have a 27" iMac can I hook an Air to it if I ever need to load any dvd based software onto the AIR?

I don't need a portable drive, I am just trying to figure if I can use the iMac and just save a program to the Air easily?

I spend 10hrs a day on a PC, and my apple computer knowledge is a bit light.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I apologize in advance for what may be a stupid question.

I am about to order my first apple laptop, an 11" Air with 1.7,ghz 8mb, and 512 flash. I am curious if I need the external drive. If i have a 27" iMac can I hook an Air to it if I ever need to load any dvd based software onto the AIR?

I don't need a portable drive, I am just trying to figure if I can use the iMac and just save a program to the Air easily?

I spend 10hrs a day on a PC, and my apple computer knowledge is a bit light.

I guess you mean the optical drive, the answer is yes you can connect to the iMac's optical drive from your MacBook Air.

Also remember to have an external Hard Drive for backing up your data.

canvasback13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply. i was referring to the superdrive they offer at checkout as an accessory.

I use a dvd a couple times a year, only to load software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.