Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 28, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Ruffian829
macrumors 6502

Won't read an SD card

I'm having problems getting a specific SD card read by any of my mac devices. I can get the photos to show up on my camera, but when I try to put them onto an ipad via a camera doc or onto a macbook via a card reader, or a macbook pro via the internal card reader, or the camera connected via usb the card can't be read. I'd really like to be able to get the photos off the card. Any ideas?

ETA: my other SD cards read fine on all devices, so I realize its something with the card. I didn't know if there was some way to still get the photos off it.
Ruffian829 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Jnesbitt82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian829 View Post
I'm having problems getting a specific SD card read by any of my mac devices. I can get the photos to show up on my camera, but when I try to put them onto an ipad via a camera doc or onto a macbook via a card reader, or a macbook pro via the internal card reader, or the camera connected via usb the card can't be read. I'd really like to be able to get the photos off the card. Any ideas?

ETA: my other SD cards read fine on all devices, so I realize its something with the card. I didn't know if there was some way to still get the photos off it.
Is the SD card locked? What format did you use when writing the card?
Jnesbitt82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Ruffian829
macrumors 6502

No it's not locked. And I have no idea- it's my dad's card. He said it worked earlier in his picture viewer thing that he has and then it stopped working. Then we tried it in my computer, his computer, my camera, etc.
Ruffian829 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

[[ it's my dad's card. He said it worked earlier in his picture viewer thing that he has and then it stopped working. Then we tried it in my computer, his computer, my camera, etc. ]]

Sounds like corrupted data on the card itself. That is to say, nothing that is a "Mac-related" problem.

There are various "photo recovery" apps out there that might be able to help you.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:10 PM   #5
westrock2000
macrumors 6502

Can the camera be used as a "card reader"? I've had to do that before where Windows would say the card needed to be formatted, but if I left it in the camera and used a USB cable on the camera I could access it....albeit slower then a traditional card reader.

Media Server: Mac Pro 1,1 | 2x Xeon L5335 (low voltage quad cores) | 15TB using MacZFS
westrock2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help