Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
What's your take on Apple Refurbished products? I'm looking at getting a refurbished TB Display? $799 as oppose to $999 new...

I know this device is probably very close to a new updated one being released but it's gonna be at least $1000 and I'm not gonna need the (probable) 4K quality since hardly anything supports it yet. Also, I don't think I care too much about it having USB 2.0 instead of 3.0. I can always use my MBPr for those...

Just want to know what to expect. I would assume for it to be like-new and just as good?

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
What's your take on Apple Refurbished products? I'm looking at getting a refurbished TB Display? $799 as oppose to $999 new...

I know this device is probably very close to a new updated one being released but it's gonna be at least $1000 and I'm not gonna need the (probable) 4K quality since hardly anything supports it yet. Also, I don't think I care too much about it having USB 2.0 instead of 3.0. I can always use my MBPr for those...

Just want to know what to expect. I would assume for it to be like-new and just as good?

I've bought a couple of refurbs from Apple.

They basically recondition it with all new parts.

A lot of the times they are just returns that they can't sell new.

I wouldn't worry one bit.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Last August, I bought Refurbished Mac Mini 2012, Apple Express and Apple TV at the Apple Store. My Mac Mini and Apple Express is covered by my AC until 2016 and all the above were easy to connect and are all hummimg like a bird.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Refurbs are great, full warranty & basically remanufactured to new condition. I always buy refurb when possible, especially things like routers - time capsule - Apple TV. Macs, I've not done just because I want specific configs (e.g. Fusion drive) that are rare in the refurb store.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm actually considering one myself. They are basically new with all of the warranties and guarantees except they aren't "new in box". I don't think you could go wrong buying an Apple refurb.:)

From their website:
Before we put a refurbished Mac, iPod, iPad, or Apple TV up for sale in Special Deals, it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it’s up to Apple’s tough quality standards. We back it with our standard one-year limited warranty. And you have the option of purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan for it.

Last edited:

Hockin

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2013
England
I'm really not sure the minor discount justifies having second hand good. I'm really not a fan of second hand anything...

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I'm really not sure the minor discount justifies having second hand good. I'm really not a fan of second hand anything...
For all practical purposes (except for the fancy original cardboard box), they are equal to new products. All worn or damaged parts are replaced. Even the warranty counter will be reset.

Hockin

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2013
England
For all practical purposes (except for the fancy original cardboard box), they are equal to new products. All worn or damaged parts are replaced. Even the warranty counter will be reset.

I know. I just like to buy things new...

tenja

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Don't hesitate to buy refurb from apple. They are always great and in brand new condition.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I bought my iPod Touch refurbished to get 64GB at the 32GB price. I would definitely do it again.

New stuff IS nice, but so is saving money on the better configuration. So I'd easily do it again.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I usually buy all my Apple products refurbished. Several MacBook Pros and a Mac mini and I've had no issue with any of them over the years.

I do the same....except for my iPhones and iPads because by the time I replace them they are two years old and I want the new device "now", and not wait 2 to 3 months before they hit the refurb store.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
All of my Macs are purchased as refurbs. Wouldn't have a single hesitation about buying anything from the Apple refurb store.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
An Apple refurb is not a second hand item.

Other than the box you often can't tell it's a refurbished item. And I believe accessories (keyboard, mouse, cables, etc) are always new with a refurbished item.

Hockin

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2013
England
An Apple refurb is not a second hand item.

Other than the box you often can't tell it's a refurbished item. And I believe accessories (keyboard, mouse, cables, etc) are always new with a refurbished item.

Okay, I didn't come here to argue, and I'm not knocking the quality of the items or Apples standards, but if I'm paying £1500+ for a laptop, it's going to be brand new, never been used, by anyone, for any amount of time. The savings don't justify it to me. :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Okay, I didn't come here to argue, and I'm not knocking the quality of the items or Apples standards, but if I'm paying £1500+ for a laptop, it's going to be brand new, never been used, by anyone, for any amount of time. The savings don't justify it to me. :)
That's your call. I'm looking at a refurbished iMac that is $2289 and saves over $400 from the price of it new.

larmende

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
My MacBook Air is a refurb. It came with a US keyboard which was weird, but really quick to get used to.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender

I am also considering buying a TB display to update my 23" CD, just hard to decide if $800 is a "good deal" for old 2 year old monitor. I have bought many items from the refurb store, including my Mac Mini. The price is definitely right on a lot of the items. They look brand new, and most are assembled in the US.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008

Hey, those who like to buy refurbs should be glad to see buyers with this perspective... The more people there are that only want totally brand new products, the cheaper the refurbs will have to get! ;)

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Good as new

My experience with Apple refurbs has been excellent. The first refurb I bought had an 68030 processor to give an idea of the timeline with refurbs for me.

The units are reconditioned, recased, new batteries. The only way I can tell the refurb from the new is the box and the price. New unit warranty and AC is available.

I never hesitate to buy refurbished if it is the item I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.