Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:17 AM   #1
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Snappycam has disappeared from AppStore and web!?

I was reading up about this app and followed the App Store link but it fails to show it.

The website www.snappycam.com and www.snappylabs.com has also gone.

Do you think it's been bought out by apple or someone?
cRuNcHiE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRuNcHiE View Post
I was reading up about this app and followed the App Store link but it fails to show it.

The website www.snappycam.com and www.snappylabs.com has also gone.

Do you think it's been bought out by apple or someone?
I wouldn't be surprised - his JPEG encoder is much faster than that of Apple or Nokia. (BTW, I too recommended the dev, back in August when I talked to him that he sells his algorithm implementation to Apple or Nokia. It's so freaking good.)

BTW, it's still available on devices you've previously directly (!) downloaded it to. A screenshot I've just made proving this:

Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:20 AM   #3
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised - his JPEG encoder is much faster than that of Apple or Nokia. (BTW, I too recommended the dev, back in August when I talked to him that he sells his algorithm implementation to Apple or Nokia. It's so freaking good.)

BTW, it's still available on devices you've previously directly (!) downloaded it to. A screenshot I've just made proving this:

Well fair play to him if it's made him/ her big £££

Just wish I'd got it!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:58 PM   #4
thenewone
macrumors member

I too am wondering about this mysterious disappearance! It was (is) such an amazing app.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that maybe the developer (jpap) is just getting ready to re-release it as a new app redesigned and revamped for iOS 7!

If he did happen to get a nice payday for his algorithm, then good for him (the dude is a frickin genius!)...but I hope it shows back up in some other comparable app then...or even the stock camera!
thenewone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:42 PM   #5
thenewone
macrumors member

If anyone hears anything about this let us know! I'm following @jpap and @snappycam on twitter, but he has been dead silent about it since the app and website disappeared.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 08:58 PM   #6
itouch rulz
macrumors member

Speculation about an acquisition in Australian papers here:

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/australian-smartphone-camera-app-snappycam-disappears-from-app-store-without-a-trace-20140104-30ahj.html
itouch rulz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 04:26 PM   #7
thenewone
macrumors member

Acquired by Apple! Good for jpap...he deserves the recognition, appreciation, and PAYDAY for his genius algorithm!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1692379

Can't wait to see how/when implements it into the native camera app!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:01 AM   #8
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine who managed to get snappycam before it was taken off the App Store says it Is now only taking pictures in black and white?

The preview is colour but when you take the photo, it's saved in monochrome. Anyone else have the same issue? Almost like it's been remotely disabled?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRuNcHiE View Post
A friend of mine who managed to get snappycam before it was taken off the App Store says it Is now only taking pictures in black and white?

The preview is colour but when you take the photo, it's saved in monochrome. Anyone else have the same issue? Almost like it's been remotely disabled?

He's wrong. Just tested the latest version on my iPhone 5 - no problems.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:41 AM   #10
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
He's wrong. Just tested the latest version on my iPhone 5 - no problems.
Hmm weird, on his 5s it's started doing it !
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:17 PM   #11
thenewone
macrumors member

Now that the app is gone and we likely won't see the software tech built into the native camera app til iPhone 6 and iOS 8, I decided to edit some .png's within the .app folder (jailbroken of course) to make SnappyCam look less "iOS 6ish" and more "iOS 7ish" lol

I really hope they () allow the new software implementation to run on pre-iPhone 6 devices (via an iOS update), because SnappyCam really does run beautifully on the iPhone 5/5s and it would be a real shame if they artificially limit older devices (but...its Apple...so they probably will ).

Anyway...given the limitations of just editing a few .png's, here is what I ended up with...

(if anyone wants the edited .png files just let me know I only made them for iPhone 5/5c/5s though)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	load.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	455561   Click image for larger version

Name:	main.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	636.9 KB
ID:	455562   Click image for larger version

Name:	shoot.png
Views:	16
Size:	712.0 KB
ID:	455563  

Click image for larger version

Name:	prefs.gif
Views:	18
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	455564  

Last edited by thenewone; Jan 9, 2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewone View Post
I really hope they () allow the new software implementation to run on pre-iPhone 6 devices (via an iOS update), because SnappyCam really does run beautifully on the iPhone 5/5s and it would be a real shame if they artificially limit older devices (but...its Apple...so they probably will ).
They surely won't allow it. Their feature backporting practice is by far the worst of the tech giants (MS and Google being the other two).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:53 AM   #13
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Guys,

if you've missed SnappyCam but would still welcome a hack that makes shooting significantly faster and don't mind jailbreaking, there's a fairly new and free tweak "Burst mode" that raises the shooting framerate on "old" models like the iPhone 5 by about 32%. Definitely not as much as SnappyCam, though.

I've posted a detailed review of it, along with a completely new and absolutely great hack, "Slo-mo Mod”, at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1698879
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:45 PM   #14
MacDude21
macrumors regular

I dought apple will not make it available to. 5S. They need to get it to somebody so the word of how cool it is spreads. Will likely go to 6, 5S, and maybe 5C.
MacDude21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 08:24 AM   #15
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude21 View Post
I dought apple will not make it available to. 5S. They need to get it to somebody so the word of how cool it is spreads. Will likely go to 6, 5S, and maybe 5C.
Don't have high hopes. I don't think current-gen devices will get it.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 03:31 PM   #16
whatever151516
macrumors newbie

Snappycam found a better way to use the iphone camera and Apple shut them down. Now we have to take pictures one at a time ): Good job Apple! and good job to you too Google, it took me 15 minutes to figure this out.
whatever151516 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 07:13 PM   #17
C DM
macrumors G4

For burst photography, it seems like there are some alternatives, like Superburst: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02...rburst-camera/
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 07:39 PM   #18
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever151516 View Post
Snappycam found a better way to use the iphone camera and Apple shut them down. Now we have to take pictures one at a time ): Good job Apple! and good job to you too Google, it took me 15 minutes to figure this out.
They will probably implement his work as a baseline feature with the next iOS. They wouldn't make a significant purchase with no intention of ever using it.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:51 AM   #19
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever151516 View Post
Snappycam found a better way to use the iphone camera and Apple shut them down. Now we have to take pictures one at a time )
Either upgrade to iOS7 or jailbreak and use the free(!) Burst Mode. I've talked a LOT about it at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1698879 (along with a lot of benchmarks)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
For burst photography, it seems like there are some alternatives, like Superburst: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02...rburst-camera/
Thanks, I'll review it (in a much more proper way as the iDownloadBlog folks - read: with precise benchmarks) and post back.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:47 PM   #20
yuyuxxx
macrumors newbie

Black and white problem fixed downdgrade to 3.3.3 versión
yuyuxxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:13 PM   #21
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Thanks, I'll review it (in a much more proper way as the iDownloadBlog folks - read: with precise benchmarks) and post back.
Done - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18824739

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Tags
snappycam