Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 29, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Peace
macrumors P6

2014 Sochi Olympics - PRSI Version

Thought I'd start this thread due to today's suicide bombing of a main train station that killed 16 in Russia.

Is this just the beginning of a terror Olympics like we had in 1972 ?

Thoughts ?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...n-station?lite

MOSCOW — At least 16 people were killed in a terror attack by a suspected female suicide bomber at a railway station in Russia Sunday, officials said — the second deadly attack in three days as the country prepares to host the Winter Olympics.

Last edited by Peace; Dec 29, 2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling error and geolocation
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
jondunford
Banned

why does it matter that it was a female suicide bomber
jondunford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

a) this happened in Volgograd (probraly better known as Stalingrad)

b) yes, it does matter that it was done by a women, cos unlike most other muslim-terror the kaukasus-variant seems to prefer going that route (remember that hostage-crisis in a theater some years ago)-
Bug-Creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

It seems like there could be trouble at the Olympics
Old Dec 29, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Obviously this story is either made up or mixed up. It's regurgitated daily here how bad the Christians are and how loving and peaceful Islam and Muslims are.
haxrnick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

My wife wanted to go to Sochi ... I asked her not to go because I also see a high risk of "unpleasant events". Sure Russia will try to ensure public safety. But it's eventually also difficult for them due to the asymmetric setup with the potential attacker.
I just have the images in mind from the theatre in Moscow some years back; and a fair amount of casualties came from the way how Russia reacted.
Hopefully nothing happen, but again I don't want my wife even near to it.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
Obviously this story is either made up or mixed up. It's regurgitated daily here how bad the Christians are and how loving and peaceful Islam and Muslims are.
Seriously? What are you on? Most of us deplore all faiths with equanimity, the fact that we fail to deplore islam more than christianity does not mean we are giving the muslims a pass, much as you would like to think.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
I just have the images in mind from the theatre in Moscow some years back; and a fair amount of casualties came from the way how Russia reacted.
When Russians send counter-terror, their primary mission is not hostage rescue, but destroying the threat. They play by a different set of rules and tactics compared to our own HRT and SWAT.

If you survive "being saved" feel lucky.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:16 AM   #9
MacNut
macrumors P6

So another explosion today.

Not looking good one month out.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ograd/4246379/
Quote:
MOSCOW (AP) An explosion on a trolleybus in the city of Volgograd left 10 people dead Monday, a day after a suicide bombing that killed at least 17 at the city's main railway.

The explosions put the city on edge and highlighted the terrorist threat that Russia is facing as it prepares to host the Winter Games in February. Volgograd is about 400 miles northeast of Sochi, where the Olympics are to be held.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:40 AM   #10
Solomani
macrumors 68000

The Russian Federation has several mini "republics" within it that are mostly Muslim-dominated. Dhagestan and Chechnya come to mind.

Keeping the Muslim fundamentalist-nationalists away from Sochi is going to be a near-impossible task.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:06 AM   #11
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Russia is like a pressure cooker with several major cracks. Given that most terrorists like to get the worlds attention, and Olympic games are in their back yard, I would say yes there will be a least one major incident.

Even Putin can't deport whole populations a la Stalin.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:45 AM   #12
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
This doesn't really have much to do with religion...

The issues with Islamic terror in Kashmir, the Caucasus and the Middle East are mostly down to politics rather than religion.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 09:24 PM   #13
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

AT&T speaks out against Russia's anti-gay laws

Good for AT&T. Particularly meaningful coming from a US Olympic sponsor.

I have felt like this Olympics has "Bad" written all over it.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:00 PM   #14
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

I agree - Putin has made a massive error in the way he is steering his regime.

Last edited by johnnyturbouk; Feb 5, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
johnnyturbouk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:49 AM   #15
satcomer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Are you even serious?
satcomer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:58 AM   #16
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
This doesn't really have much to do with religion...

The issues with Islamic terror in Kashmir, the Caucasus and the Middle East are mostly down to politics rather than religion.

Here is where you are always wrong.

In Islam, there is no difference between Religion and Politics.

Until people who don't live in Muslim countries understand this, you will never see the real problem.

- sent from deep inside a Muslim dominated country -
thewitt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:38 AM   #17
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Here is where you are always wrong.

Until people who don't live in Muslim countries understand this, you will never see the real problem.

- sent from deep inside a Muslim dominated country -
Are you in the USA?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:44 AM   #18
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Are you in the USA?
Dominated?

He has trouble getting everyone to agree on what to have for lunch.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:48 AM   #19
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

A very broad brush tends to obscure the view.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:05 AM   #20
iJohnHenry
Banned

And it paints us all the same.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:00 AM   #21
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post

As if this isn't the wet dream of Christians as well....you'd *love* a Christian Caliphate right here in the US, complete with morality police.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:16 PM   #22
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Today's Gold Medal Count

Canada - 1
Russia - 0

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2014/02...-commercial/#_
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 03:26 PM   #23
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post

Good for AT&T. Particularly meaningful coming from a US Olympic sponsor.

I have felt like this Olympics has "Bad" written all over it.
In semi-related news, especially when it comes to Russia hosting the Olympics and some of its human rights abuses (one of which is mentioned above), We have this, this morning from Morning Edition on NPR. And I must say, it doesn't speak well at all for Putin and Russia, especially with them hosting this travesty they are calling Olympics.

http://tinyurl.com/kla2mje

(URL shortened for obvious reasons)

Quote:
***** Riot: Prison Ordeal Will Help Us Fix Russia's System
February 06, 2014 5:00 AM

Members of the punk protest band ***** Riot were just released from jail after spending nearly two years in a penal colony for a controversial performance at a Moscow church in 2012, but they are far from done fighting. Nadezhda "Nadya" Tolokonnikova and Maria "Masha" Alyokhina continue to be outspoken against human rights abuses in Russia, bringing the band's message to the U.S. for the first time.

While there have been protests against the Russian government before, it's a country where the political opposition is always struggling to build widespread support. But that doesn't seem to be stopping Nadya and Masha both married, both moms, both unabashedly critical of Russian leaders, its government and now, its prison system.

Nadya, Masha and an interpreter stopped by NPR in New York City to talk with Morning Edition's David Greene, an interview they wound up cutting short with apologies because they needed to leave to turn their attention to helping some protesters facing charges at home.

But when they sat down in the studio, they began singing in Russian.

"It's a ***** Riot song called 'Putin Is Lighting the Fires of the Revolution,' " Nadya says. It's the song they wrote when they were being sentenced.

"He's clearly asking for a revolution," she says.

Interview Highlights

On life in a prison camp

Maria "Masha" Alyokhina: You go to work, and you watch people turning into obedient cogs in a machine that produces police uniforms. If anyone tries to decline to do this work or disagrees in some other way, they might get thrown in solitary or they might get beaten either by the prison guards or by other prisoners who work together with the prison administration and collaborate with them.

On whether, if they could rewind, they would perform at the church in 2012, which sparked their arrests

Nadezhda "Nadya" Tolokonnikova: We don't like to speculatively look back and think about what if. The only way to go is forward.

Masha: This might be hard to understand, but I'm actually grateful to the leadership of Russia for providing me with this experience of being in jail. I think I became a freer person as a result and understood many things that will now enable us to work on fixing this prison system.

[This freedom is] freedom as responsibility for your every step and gesture, freedom for choosing to act honestly and honorably, or dishonestly and dishonorably; freedom as in life.

On why it seems people in Russia aren't looking for an Arab Spring-type revolution

Masha: Russia isn't necessarily that different from any other country, but there are two factors that come into play: The first is that if you regularly have the protest beaten out of you by the riot police, of course it's natural that you will eventually back down and take a more passive stance. And the second is that people don't believe that change is possible in Russia, and I think one of the things that is vital to turn this situation around because it can be turned around fairly quickly but for that we need free media, we need free speech, we need channels that will give the opposition a voice.

On whether there will be more ***** Riot performances in Russia

Nadya: We are planning on going back to Russia, and the reason we are in a hurry to go right now is we have some very important things to do in support of those who are still jailed in connection with [another demonstration in Russia].
Doesn't help that they are very easy on the eyes as well.

Back to the Olympics. This will not bode well for anyone if they happen to speak out about anything; for example, it was already mentioned during one of my local NPR station's programs that someone was wearing a ***** Riot shirt during competition or something similar. BJK already backed out of leading the delegation due to the same reasons ATT spoke out (and the fact that BJK is a lesbian), and I believe Shaun White pulled out as well (though his is not due to anything political).

This is going to be an absolute hellish Olympics.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 08:23 PM   #24
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Has anybody noticed the current Google doodle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gogoogle.png
Views:	6
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	459912