Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kflee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I need to restore my Macbook Pro and never set up Time Machine. I wanted to back up my photos on iPhoto and music on iTunes, and wanted to see what the best way to do it is. Unfortunately, I'm not planning to use Time Machine on the off chance that the problem will be saved onto Time Machine. I'm wondering if the only way to save my photos and music is to export them to my external hard drive. Also, after I restore my laptop, when I return the photos and music, will they be grouped together in the appropriate folders, or will I have to manually do it? Is there a way to minimize the amount of work I have to do? Thanks, any advice would be extremely helpful!

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
when i have swap macs i have always just dropped the files i want to an external hard drive and then dropped them back to the new mac with no problems, time machine is a great option and i have a 2tb timemachine AirPort Extreme capsule which everything backs up to if any of my drives fail. with your music iTunes will automatically organise your files once you import them. i normally choose not to copy the files which is quicker but personally pref. when moving iPhoto though you must move the iPhoto file and all the photo's associated with that iPhoto file as it will open properly but when you try to view the photo's individually it will ask you to locate the missing file.

hope it goes smoothly for you.

kflee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try and hopefully they'll work! And after I move the files back to my computer from my external hard drive, is it a similar process? Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try and hopefully they'll work! And after I move the files back to my computer from my external hard drive, is it a similar process? Thanks!

Yep... same thing just in reverse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.