Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamek89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I recently purchased a Retina MBP along with a 29" LG Ultra wide monitor which is 2560 x 1080. I first connected it using a mini DP to DP but the picture was very washed out. I tried the HDMI (even though some of you said it doesn't do the whole 2560 x 1080 resolution) and to my surprise the colors were accurate and the resolution was listed as 2560x 1080 in system pref.

Althought the resolution says it is 2560 x 1080, text seems to be a little fuzzy. If I use it for a while my eyes get used to it, but I had my girlfriend come take a look and right away she asked why the text fuzzy.

The monitor is about 100 dpi so I'm not sure if this is actually how the resolution is supposed to be or if there are some adjustments I can make.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm attaching two screen shots.

oiyiiw.png

dreeit.png

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I recently purchased a Retina MBP along with a 29" LG Ultra wide monitor which is 2560 x 1080. I first connected it using a mini DP to DP but the picture was very washed out. I tried the HDMI (even though some of you said it doesn't do the whole 2560 x 1080 resolution) and to my surprise the colors were accurate and the resolution was listed as 2560x 1080 in system pref.

Althought the resolution says it is 2560 x 1080, text seems to be a little fuzzy. If I use it for a while my eyes get used to it, but I had my girlfriend come take a look and right away she asked why the text fuzzy.

The monitor is about 100 dpi so I'm not sure if this is actually how the resolution is supposed to be or if there are some adjustments I can make.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm attaching two screen shots.

If it being treated as a TV and thus adding done overscan?

kamek89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I've found the solution so I thought I'd share with anyone with the same problem. The monitor's sharpness is set 5/10 by default. taking it down to 0 did the trick

kamek89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
interesting, I am thinking of picking one of these up.
Disappointing to hear the DP connection wasn't a home run. Was it possibly a bad cable?

Is there a reason you would prefer to use DP over HDMI? I doubt it was a bad cable as I bought it just for this monitor so it was brand new.

Everywhere I read people said HDMI wouldn't work and to use mini dp to dp, but I plugged in the HDMI and it was just fine. Picture quality was the same as dp except for the washed out colors the dp was giving me.

If you're planning on picking one of these up, keep your eye on newegg's website. it goes for about $650, but I got mine for $400 when there was a few day sale.

Also, make sure you buy model# LG 29EA73 as opposed to 29EA93. EA73 is the newer model. Everything is almost exactly the same hardware wise, but the EA73 has updated firmware which early adopters were complaining about with the EA93

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Is there a reason you would prefer to use DP over HDMI? I doubt it was a bad cable as I bought it just for this monitor so it was brand new.

Everywhere I read people said HDMI wouldn't work and to use mini dp to dp, but I plugged in the HDMI and it was just fine. Picture quality was the same as dp except for the washed out colors the dp was giving me.

If you're planning on picking one of these up, keep your eye on newegg's website. it goes for about $650, but I got mine for $400 when there was a few day sale.

Also, make sure you buy model# LG 29EA73 as opposed to 29EA93. EA73 is the newer model. Everything is almost exactly the same hardware wise, but the EA73 has updated firmware which early adopters were complaining about with the EA93
I just generaly prefer to avoid adapters when possible. In my experience with Macs the DP, when a monitor has it, seems to work best.
Thanks for the heads up about the models. I had read elsewhere about the firmware (anandtech) but I guess I forgot that bit about the models. Kinda counterintuitive. Usually the newer model is a higher number.

kamek89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I just generaly prefer to avoid adapters when possible. In my experience with Macs the DP, when a monitor has it, seems to work best.
Thanks for the heads up about the models. I had read elsewhere about the firmware (anandtech) but I guess I forgot that bit about the models. Kinda counterintuitive. Usually the newer model is a higher number.

Yea it is counterintuitive that's why I thought I'd give you a heads up. I have the new Macbook Pro 13 which has an HDMI port so no adapter is needed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.