Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I have some pictures on my phone that I would like to move to a new album that I created and then I want to delete them from the camera roll. When I try to delete a pic from the camera roll that I moved to another album, it asks if I want to delete from everywhere. The answer is NO!! I want to remove the pics only from the camera roll and keep them in the new album I created. Why is this so difficult?

The iPhone can do so many things, but this seems to be something it can't do :confused:

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to do this?

Thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have some pictures on my phone that I would like to move to a new album that I created and then I want to delete them from the camera roll. When I try to delete a pic from the camera roll that I moved to another album, it asks if I want to delete from everywhere. The answer is NO!! I want to remove the pics only from the camera roll and keep them in the new album I created. Why is this so difficult?

The iPhone can do so many things, but this seems to be something it can't do :confused:

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to do this?

Thanks
Not possible stock.

Apple sees albums simply as shortcuts or pointers to photos in the camera roll. As such, an album is not like a folder where you'd move photos to. Thus deleting from the camera roll deletes the photo and it's "pointer" in the album.

You can get what you want however, but you have to jailbreak to do it.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Not possible stock.

Apple sees albums simply as shortcuts or pointers to photos in the camera roll. As such, an album is not like a folder where you'd move photos to. Thus deleting from the camera roll deletes the photo and it's "pointer" in the album.

You can get what you want however, but you have to jailbreak to do it.

Thank you for explaining :)

I might consider jail breaking. Does that void any Apple care coverage?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you for explaining :)

I might consider jail breaking. Does that void any Apple care coverage?
It does, but only if you bring your device in for service while it's still jailbroken.

If you are on iOS 7 then the jailbreak is out. Be aware right now that things are not fully updated for iOS 7 as far as tweaks and apps in Cydia (JB equivalent of the App store). So, some of the tweaks such as PhotoAlbums+ may not be updated yet. You'll have to give it time.

If you are on iOS 6.x though you shouldn't have any problems as far as finding and using a tweak to do what you want/

If you do need to service your phone, restore it to stock before taking it to Apple as that will wipe out the jailbreak.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
It does, but only if you bring your device in for service while it's still jailbroken.

If you are on iOS 7 then the jailbreak is out. Be aware right now that things are not fully updated for iOS 7 as far as tweaks and apps in Cydia (JB equivalent of the App store). So, some of the tweaks such as PhotoAlbums+ may not be updated yet. You'll have to give it time.

If you are on iOS 6.x though you shouldn't have any problems as far as finding and using a tweak to do what you want/

If you do need to service your phone, restore it to stock before taking it to Apple as that will wipe out the jailbreak.

I never updated to iOS 7. I heard too many complaints, so I never bothered. I know you can block callers which is a nice feature and there are new sounds and coloring changes, but I don't like the bright neon colors of the apps and icon changes. I'm sure I will be forced to update at some point.

I really never want to restore to stock if I can help it, but I guess it's not a big deal having a backup in iTunes :confused:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I never updated to iOS 7. I heard too many complaints, so I never bothered. I know you can block callers which is a nice feature and there are new sounds and coloring changes, but I don't like the bright neon colors of the apps and icon changes. I'm sure I will be forced to update at some point.

I really never want to restore to stock if I can help it, but I guess it's not a big deal having a backup in iTunes :confused:
What version of iOS are you using? iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 has a specific jailbreak, 6.1.3 to 6.1.4 have a different one.

There's a few jailbreaks for iOS 5 too. Depends on what you're running.

If you are using iOS 6 then PhotoAlbums+ will run right away. There are two other tweaks I am aware of too, but I'd have to look them up. One of those is free.

iBlacklist is a jailbreak tweak that will let you block calls too.

The problem with being on iOS 6 (as I am) is that if you need warranty repair, since you have to restore, you end up with iOS 7 because Apple is not signing iOS 6 any more.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
What version of iOS are you using? iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 has a specific jailbreak, 6.1.3 to 6.1.4 have a different one.

There's a few jailbreaks for iOS 5 too. Depends on what you're running.

If you are using iOS 6 then PhotoAlbums+ will run right away. There are two other tweaks I am aware of too, but I'd have to look them up. One of those is free.

iBlacklist is a jailbreak tweak that will let you block calls too.

The problem with being on iOS 6 (as I am) is that if you need warranty repair, since you have to restore, you end up with iOS 7 because Apple is not signing iOS 6 any more.

I am on iOS 6.1.4. Can I ask why you never upgraded to 7? I plan on getting the next iPhone, but I hope they change the OS again before then. I keep my phones at least 2 years if I can unless something spectacular comes out.

I may jailbreak just so I can get a little more privacy. You know how it is when you hand someone your phone to look at a pic and before you know it they are scrolling through the pics without giving it a 2nd thought. I am always very nervous about backing up from iTunes, but it usually ends up working out ok. I usually worry for nothing :rolleyes:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am on iOS 6.1.4.
OK. If your carrier is GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) you should be good. The jailbreak for 6.1.3 to 6.1.5 is out, but I heard this morning that right now those using CDMA devices should avoid it. The way these things go it should get fixed soon.
Can I ask why you never upgraded to 7?
I'm not a big fan of the Fisher Price/Playskool inspired interface. I get more than my fair share of primary colors from my 5 year old daughter and my 10 year old son. I don't need that on my iPhone.

One of the things you can do with jailbreaking is theme your device. I have a black/grayscale setup (icons, wallpaper, apps) that I particularly like. If I were to upgrade to iOS 7 I would lose that. I could jailbreak again because the iOS 7 jailbreak is out, but there's no guarantee right now that all of my stuff would work. The devs are working as fast as they can, but the release of the iOS 7 jailbreak caught a lot of them by surprise so things are taking a while to get updated.

I'm comfortable waiting because I have stuff installed, because of my jailbreak, that is the same or better than what iOS 7 offers.

I plan on getting the next iPhone, but I hope they change the OS again before then. I keep my phones at least 2 years if I can unless something spectacular comes out.
I don't think we will see iOS 8 until next year, but I'm not Apple and don't know anything so that's just my opinion. I'm in the last year of my two year contract and I tend to keep my phones and not sell them when done. But I do plan on upgrading to the iPhone 6 this year if that's what Apple calls it.

I may jailbreak just so I can get a little more privacy. You know how it is when you hand someone your phone to look at a pic and before you know it they are scrolling through the pics without giving it a 2nd thought. I am always very nervous about backing up from iTunes, but it usually ends up working out ok. I usually worry for nothing :rolleyes:
Yeah. I get that. However, there are several photo privacy apps in the App store already. If that's more what you're looking for I'd say try that first.

Jailbreaking is not for everyone, so check it out and see if it's something you really want to do before proceeding.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
OK. If your carrier is GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) you should be good. The jailbreak for 6.1.3 to 6.1.5 is out, but I heard this morning that right now those using CDMA devices should avoid it. The way these things go it should get fixed soon.

I have AT&T. I left Verizon when I got my first iPhone 3G and I don't plan on ever going back. And with the inability to do voice and data at the same time takes a lot away from what the iPhone can do.

I'm not a big fan of the Fisher Price/Playskool inspired interface. I get more than my fair share of primary colors from my 5 year old daughter and my 10 year old son. I don't need that on my iPhone.

That's how I felt about the colors. I thought it was terrible! You can still create all the new features without creating neon app icons. Whoever's idea that was needs to be fired :rolleyes:

One of the things you can do with jailbreaking is theme your device. I have a black/grayscale setup (icons, wallpaper, apps) that I particularly like. If I were to upgrade to iOS 7 I would lose that. I could jailbreak again because the iOS 7 jailbreak is out, but there's no guarantee right now that all of my stuff would work. The devs are working as fast as they can, but the release of the iOS 7 jailbreak caught a lot of them by surprise so things are taking a while to get updated.

You would think Apple would just give in and allow users to tweak like non iPhone devices allow. Maybe they are in on the jail breaking too:confused:

I'm comfortable waiting because I have stuff installed, because of my jailbreak, that is the same or better than what iOS 7 offers.

I ran into an app that I couldn't install because I had iOS 6. So I'm not sure how long all my other apps will remain iOS 6 friendly.

I don't think we will see iOS 8 until next year, but I'm not Apple and don't know anything so that's just my opinion. I'm in the last year of my two year contract and I tend to keep my phones and not sell them when done. But I do plan on upgrading to the iPhone 6 this year if that's what Apple calls it.

I plan on upgrading too. I haven't really read up on the iOS 7 complaints, but I can only hope the next update is something I don't need sunglasses for.

Yeah. I get that. However, there are several photo privacy apps in the App store already. If that's more what you're looking for I'd say try that first.

Jailbreaking is not for everyone, so check it out and see if it's something you really want to do before proceeding.

I want to keep certain photos on my phone, but I need to move some to another folder and delete them from my camera roll folder. I will look into the apps and hopefully I can find one that does what I need.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.