Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:15 AM   #1
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Why the Tea Party isn't going anywhere

There was a depressing article in the Atlantic that I thought would be worth debating.

Quote:
The 2010 elections were a high watermark for Tea Party funders and voters. Amid intense public frustration at the slow economic recovery, only two of five U.S. voters went to the polls. The electorate skewed toward older, whiter, wealthier conservatives; and this low turnout allowed fired-up Tea Party Republicans to score many triumphs in the House and state legislatures. And the footholds gained are not easily lost. Once solid blocs of Tea Party supporters or compliant legislators are ensconced in office, outside figures like Dick Armey of FreedomWorks (in 2011) and Jim DeMint of Heritage Action (in 2013) appoint themselves de facto orchestrators, taking control away from elected GOP leaders John Boehner and Mitch McConnell.

In the latest such maneuver during the summer of 2013, radical-right Texas Senator Ted Cruz put himself forward as a bold Tea Party strategist calling for a renewed all-out crusade to kill Obamacare long after it was assured survival by the Supreme Court and the 2012 presidential election. With his strong ties to far-right funders and ideologues, plus a self-assured, even arrogant, pugnaciousness that thrills much of the GOP electorate, Cruz could direct a chunk of House Republicans to pressure a weak Boehner into proceeding with the government shutdown and debt brinkmanship. Apologists say Boehner was “reluctant,” but what difference does that make? He went along.

After the immediate effort flopped and caused most Americans to further sour on Republicans, Cruz remained unbowed. And why not? After all, Cruz gained near-total name recognition and sky-high popularity among Tea Party voters. He now appears regularly on television, and his antics have allowed elite Tea Party forces to lock in draconian reductions in federal spending for coming rounds of budget struggles. Americans may resent the Tea Party, but they are also losing ever more faith in the federal government—a big win for anti-government saboteurs. Popularity and “responsible governance” are not the goals of Tea Party forces, and such standards should not be used to judge the accomplishments of those who aim to undercut, block, and delay—even as Tea Party funders remain hopeful about holding their own or making further gains in another low-turnout midterm election in November 2014.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ywhere/282591/

A huge amount of money continues to flow, and, it continues to have the desired polarizing effect, even if many of the Tea Party causes and candidates remain unpopular and have often been defeated. The early part of the struggle has been to silence or to drive moderate Republicans out of office, and, that has worked.

Quote:
Finally, Democrats need to get over thinking that opinion polls and media columns add up to real political gains. Once the October 2013 shutdown ended in supposed total victory for President Obama and his party, many Democrats adopted a cocky swagger and started talking about ousting the House GOP in 2014. But a clear-eyed look shows that Tea Party obstruction remains powerful and has achieved victories that continue to stymie Democratic efforts to govern effectively—a necessary condition for Democrats to win enthusiastic, sustained voter support for the future, including in midterm elections. Our debates about federal budgets still revolve around degrees of imposed austerity. Government shutdowns and repeated partisan-induced “crises” have greatly undercut U.S. economic growth and cost up to a year’s worth of added jobs. Real national challenges—fighting global warming, improving education, redressing extreme economic inequalities, rebuilding and improving economic infrastructure—go unaddressed as extreme GOP obstructive capacities remain potent in Washington and many state capitals.

True, the events of October 2013 helped millions of middle-of-the-road voters—and even quite a few complacent political reporters—grasp the dangers of the sabotage-oriented radicalism in today’s Republican Party. But it will take a long and dogged struggle to root out radical obstructionism on the right, and the years ahead could yet see Tea Partiers succeed by default. Unless non-Tea Party Republicans, independents, and Democrats learn both to defeat and to work around anti-government extremism—finding ways to do positive things for the majority of ordinary citizens along the way—Tea Party forces will still win in the end. They will triumph just by hanging on long enough to cause most Americans to give up in disgust on our blatantly manipulated democracy and our permanently hobbled government.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

The funny thing about the Tea Party is there really is no such thing.

It's an amalgamation of people pissed off at Bush bailouts, Ron Paul libertarians, Occupy Wallstreet types who are sick of corporate influence on politics and corruption, anti globalists, anti interventionists, and Koch Brother stooges.

It's not quite like the 2nd generation Neo-Left liberals which is completely married to the democrat party.

The mix of Tea Party characters is causing all types of havoc for establishment Neo-cons and ripping the GOP in half because the origin and consensus among the "tea party" really doesn't exist other than government on a whole is out of control.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:16 PM   #3
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

It's an amalgamation of people pissed off at Bush bailouts, Ron Paul libertarians, Occupy Wallstreet types who are sick of corporate influence on politics and corruption, anti globalists, anti interventionists, and Koch Brother stooges.

It's not quite like the 2nd generation Neo-Left liberals which is completely married to the democrat party.

The mix of Tea Party characters is causing all types of havoc for establishment Neo-cons and ripping the GOP in half because the origin and consensus among the "tea party" really doesn't exist other than government on a whole is out of control.
NICE comparison, I have been to TEA party rallies and I do understand the gripes from the OWS protestors
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Jesla
macrumors 6502

Depressing?....Hardly, we need more like Ted Cruz.

Some of the best news I've heard in awhile....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

You got a source for this?.....or is this just more made-up leftist wind?
TC/TV/APX
Jesla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesla View Post

----------

Total leftism. I'm one of the biggest leftists in PRSI.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:29 PM   #6
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

would that be the same Ted Cruz who has a wife that works & benefits from wall street? same cruz that helped in the shutdown & then folded like a cheap set of cards? no thanks.
jkcerda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 05:25 AM   #7
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:

----------

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic but if not...do you know anything about Ted Cruz?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 06:59 AM   #8
Jesla
macrumors 6502

Well, I know he's not a leftist weenie....... so I'd say you assumed wrong.....

Kinda makes me wonder how often you mistakenly assume to know things you
don't know.....doesn't it.
TC/TV/APX

Last edited by Jesla; Jan 1, 2014 at 07:12 AM.
Jesla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Amid intense public frustration at the slow economic recovery, only two of five U.S. voters went to the polls. The electorate skewed toward older, whiter, wealthier conservatives; and this low turnout allowed fired-up Tea Party Republicans to score many triumphs in the House and state legislatures.
It's everyone get to the polls and vote or get what your lack of interest deserves. I'm an elderly white male who knows the Tea Party is no grass roots organization, but one created and funded by billionaires with an agenda: how to hang on to "MY" money with a motto: Society, you can sink or swim on your own.
Huntn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
It's everyone get to the polls and vote or get what your lack of interest deserves. I'm an elderly white male who knows the Tea Party is no grass roots organization, but one created and funded by billionaires with an agenda: how to hang on to "MY" money with a motto: Society, you can sink or swim on your own.
It's certainly one component of the Tea Party movement, but it's the part with the deepest pockets which buys a lot of influence and highjacks legitimate feelings about government spending and abuse, and makes the narrative about deregulation, and tax laws that only benefit the wealthy.

What is going to be real interesting is the GOP primaries in 2016, when the libertarians, Tea partiers and establishment Neo-Cons engage in complete scorched earth civil war

Last edited by Technarchy; Jan 1, 2014 at 02:26 PM.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues