Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfd146

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Wilmington, DE
Being that Verizon cripples their Bluetooth so you cannot sync with contacts and calenders, will the new verizon razr work with a USB connection? I believe the software that comes with the phone is for Windows.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I don't understand why people have this dying loyality to verizon. Their network is crap around here, and their phones suck. They are in essence the microsoft of cell phones.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
jimsowden said:
I don't understand why people have this dying loyality to verizon. Their network is crap around here, and their phones suck. They are in essence the microsoft of cell phones.

for us in New England, they have the best coverage. That is pretty much the main reason why I use them.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Apple has not added support for this phone yet in iSync.

For those who cannot get iSync working with their V3c, below is a modified version of iSync 2.1.1 application including V3c RAZR support. Be sure to backup your iSync by zipping it or copying it to another folder. Then unzip the following file and move the iSync.app to your /Applications folder. Once done, re-pair your BT device and run iSync. Add device in iSync and your V3c should be supported!

DOWNLOAD MODIFIED iSync.app FILE INCLUDING SUPPORT FOR V3C RAZR:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LTQRDWIY

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
wwooden said:
for us in New England, they have the best coverage. That is pretty much the main reason why I use them.

Yup, Cingular and T-Mobile stink around here and Verizon is the way to go. 90% of the people I know with cell phones have Verizon...so it's more convenient for the in-network too. Seriously though, you can't depend on Cingular in my area, you just can't.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
jimsowden said:
Verizon and Cingular/AT&T are pretty much dead even here in the metro Atlanta area, and Verizon is CDMA, so I'm with them. GSM will eventually have to die out, and I don't want to be stuck with a company trying to switch from GSM to CDMA during its transition period. Perhaps when Cingular's made that "switch," will consider it, but until then, Verizon has equal or better signal strength, CDMA, AND EV-DO. ANd while they are severely lacking in cool looking phones for the most part, I ADORE mine, and now that the Razr has come over, I know the next one I'll be getting when this one craps out.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
My experience...

I have Verizon's V3c. Here's what I've discovered so far, using the stock, 'out-of-the-box' iSync and phone:

I can pair the phone with my Mac via BT ok, but it won't sync with iSync over BT. When I click 'Add Device' in iSync it can see the phone, but gives me the message "iSync can not [sic] connect to this device." I believe this is because Verizon disables (cripples) this feature in the phone, and I suspect it's so that you have to buy Motorola's proprietary software ("Mobile Phone Tools"?) which, by the way, is not yet available for the Verizon phone (and when it is, will they produce an OS X version?).

Having compared the Verizon RAZR and the T-Mobile RAZR, the software is distinctly different on the two phones. For one thing, Verizon's version will allow you to store multiple phone numbers for one contact, which T-Mobile's version won't. This may be part of the reason that the content management software has to be re-tooled.

I haven't tried syncing over USB. I'm led to believe it will work with iSync over a wire, but I can't confirm that yet.

Otherwise, the phone works well with BT. You can 'browse' the phone using Bluetooth File Exchange, which allows you to transfer photos and MP3s to and from the phone. No problem tranferring either of these file types so far. Other file types may transfer too, but I haven't discovered what yet. Verizon's web site states that the V3c supports AAC files, but when I've tried to transfer m4a (unprotected AAC) files, they fail. Might be they need to have a different extension, or maybe Verizon wasn't telling the whole truth.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Linam said:
What do you mean by cripples bluetooth?
Verizon "cripples" the phone's Bluetooth functionality by letting users only use "certain profiles," in other words, you can only use Bluetooth for wireless headsets. My family is switching from Verizon because we live in a rural area where everybody's cell signal is about the same, especially at my house where Verizon has signal in one place, move one inch, you lose signal.:mad: That's why we're getting T-Mobile.:D

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
you have to go with what works where you live. Around here that is Verizon. I have had other services and had to take them back because they just wouldn't work here, even tho, their maps said they should. So I go with what works, and then I look at getting the coolest phone for me that they offer.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
wfd146 said:
Being that Verizon cripples their Bluetooth so you cannot sync with contacts and calenders, will the new verizon razr work with a USB connection? I believe the software that comes with the phone is for Windows.

if your having problems syncing, make sure the razr phone book/phone numbers are saved to the "Phones" memory. If you like all contacts saved on the SIM, thats fine. Thats what i do, but i have to save the SIM phone book to the Phone memory before each sync (if im concerned about copying over recently change contact info).

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Meyvn said:
Verizon and Cingular/AT&T are pretty much dead even here in the metro Atlanta area, and Verizon is CDMA, so I'm with them. GSM will eventually have to die out, and I don't want to be stuck with a company trying to switch from GSM to CDMA during its transition period. Perhaps when Cingular's made that "switch," will consider it, but until then, Verizon has equal or better signal strength, CDMA, AND EV-DO. ANd while they are severely lacking in cool looking phones for the most part, I ADORE mine, and now that the Razr has come over, I know the next one I'll be getting when this one craps out.

i really do seriously hope that companies in the US are moving to UTMS hybrids instead of CDMA only, because it's pushing mobile manufacturers - CDMA is only used in the US, whereas GSM is the worldwide standard, used almost everywhere else... UTMS is 3G (videophones etc), so it seems the way to go.

UTMS needs another standard to lock to for voice calls outside of a 3G area, which, everywhere else, is GSM. If the US are eliminating GSM they're going to push themselves behind in mobile technology (as it was a few years ago), becuase they want their 'own' standard. CDMA may work over a larger area per mast, but that makes no odds the amount of profit these networks turn over (or if they're putting in UTMS masts, which don't have a wide range because of bandwith requirements). And if they keep to GSM/UTMS hybrids they're going to increase profits even more, as they won't fall behind in the regular new phone releases that are made. (perfect example - the RAZR - the CDMA version has ONLY JUST been released, while in Europe, we already have the new RAZR 3G - a videophone version...)

wfd146

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Wilmington, DE
beatle888 said:
if your having problems syncing, make sure the razr phone book/phone numbers are saved to the "Phones" memory. If you like all contacts saved on the SIM, thats fine. Thats what i do, but i have to save the SIM phone book to the Phone memory before each sync (if im concerned about copying over recently change contact info).

I currently use Nextel (contract is up in Jan), and they suck ass. Hopefully by March I'll have an iMac and I want to sync my phone with it, and I'm stuck on either Cingular or Verizon. I don't think Verizon uses SIM cards, I know Cingular does. Verizon is great around here, and so is Cingular...but Nextel is GARBAGE!!! Thanks for the info everyone this is a cool forum.

Mike

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
zflauaus said:
Verizon "cripples" the phone's Bluetooth functionality... ...you can only use Bluetooth for wireless headsets.

Not true. You cannot sync your calendar and contacts via BT, but you CAN browse the phone via BT for file exchange of other types, such as MP3s and photos. You can also use a BT headset.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
beatle888 said:
If you like all contacts saved on the SIM, thats fine.

This is not an option with Verizon's V3c (CDMA) phone; they don't use SIM cards. SIM cards are a GSM phone thing; CDMA phones don't use them. You can only save contacts (or anything else, for that matter) to the phone's memory on the V3c.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
PeterKG said:
Apple has not added support for this phone yet in iSync.

For those who cannot get iSync working with their V3c, below is a modified version of iSync 2.1.1 application including V3c RAZR support. Be sure to backup your iSync by zipping it or copying it to another folder. Then unzip the following file and move the iSync.app to your /Applications folder. Once done, re-pair your BT device and run iSync. Add device in iSync and your V3c should be supported!

DOWNLOAD MODIFIED iSync.app FILE INCLUDING SUPPORT FOR V3C RAZR:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LTQRDWIY

This page suggests that the razor has limited iSync capability

http://www.cgwerks.com/whatsyncs/

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Passante said:
This page suggests that the razor has limited iSync capability

http://www.cgwerks.com/whatsyncs/

I suspect that when the author of that page did that evaluation, he was using the T-Mobile or Cingular (GSM) version of the RAZR, the V3. Verizon's version (V3c) is rather different, and has distinctly different software. Most significantly, the contact list is structured differently: the V3c allows multiple phone numbers and e-mails under one name, for example.

My point is only that the ablilities/limitations of the V3c may be different than what's reported on that web page.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
jimsowden said:

They have by far the best network where I live. I'd rather have an ugly phone that works great vs. a cool phone that constantly drops my calls.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Bluetooth to the Internet

Has anyone with a Razr tried to use Bluetooth to hook up an iBook to the internet? (preferably on Cingular...it's not for me. I have Verizon. Better coverage where I live and work.)

One of the guys at the local Apple dealer has one but hasn't tried it. He said a friend of his had on T-Mobile but it was very slow.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
wwooden said:

same, i live in ny but i go to new england alot. i have verizon and i have service virtually everywhere.

kaidomac

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2005
wwooden said:

I can second that. My reception is better than a house phone in New England, especially around Connecticut and New York. In fact, I don't even have a house phone anymore, I just use my cell phone. I'm using a Motorola v710 phone. The phone definately makes a difference too, because my wife has a cheap Samsung phone from Verizon and the quality is not quite as good as mine is.

BTW, anyone know how to sync the v710's address book to OS X? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.