Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackist

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
It has 7.0.4, of course.
A program I need to use will only work on 5 or older.
Thanks,
M

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, Apple has long ago stopped signing the older OS's plus it does not have the device drivers needed for the newer hardware.

Mackist

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
i was of course talking doing this jailbroken, outside of what world's richest company may or mayn't allow us poor peons do with our expensive phones.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
You can't install an older OS than what the device came with, it's the same with Macs. But with iOS theres a signing window like the above person said. Jailbreaking your phone won't let you install an older version all it does is give you root access to be able to change how the OS works and looks nothing special

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It has 7.0.4, of course.
A program I need to use will only work on 5 or older.
Thanks,
M
If something works on iOS 5 then it should work in iOS 7. There are restrictions as far as the lowest supported version, but I can't say l've seen restrictions on the highest supported version.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If something works on iOS 5 then it should work in iOS 7. There are restrictions as far as the lowest supported version, but I can't say l've seen restrictions on the highest supported version.

What hit me immediately is that thread starter has an "unofficially acquired" version of an app that he wants to keep using, but newer versions are not accessible "unofficially".

But I could be wrong :confused:

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
What hit me immediately is that thread starter has an "unofficially acquired" version of an app that he wants to keep using, but newer versions are not accessible "unofficially".

But I could be wrong :confused:

or a LockInfo scenerio

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
ios 5 was programmed for iphone 4S and lower. iphone 5 hardware is not compatible. One example is that you would be running ios5 with black borders on your iphone 5 because it's not programmed for 4.0 inch display.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Lmao. iPhone 5 came out with iOS 6. So no, unless you can make the ipsw out of nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.