Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Is Deus Ex worth the 40 dollars? I can't find a good price and App Store is so expensive.

Renzatic

Suspended
The original Deus Ex? It came out in '99, and you can currently pick up the Windows version on Steam for $2.75. It's a great game, but considering how long it's been out, $40 is near criminal.

If you're talking about Human Revolution, specifically the new Directors Cut edition that just came out, well...it's $20 brand new on Steam, and is currently going for $9.99. If you can only get the Mac version through the MAS, well, it's worth it I guess, but still, it can be had for much less.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
The original Deus Ex? It came out in '99, and you can currently pick up the Windows version on Steam for $2.75. It's a great game, but considering how long it's been out, $40 is near criminal.

If you're talking about Human Revolution, specifically the new Directors Cut edition that just came out, well...it's $20 brand new on Steam, and is currently going for $9.99. If you can only get the Mac version through the MAS, well, it's worth it I guess, but still, it can be had for much less.

Yes, I am talking about Human Revolution. Steam only has the PC version, for some reason the Mac one is only available on App Store, Amazon, Feral. =/

Director's Cut trailer shows "available on Mac App Store", but when I go to the App Store I can only Find the Ultimate Edition.

Renzatic

Suspended
I just tried looking, and I can't find anything about the Director's Cut being available for Macs. All I've come across is the Ultimate Edition, and it's only available on the MAS for download. I tried looking for a boxed copy, and managed to come across one, but...it isn't any cheaper.

You might not have any other choice but to get it for $40. Though you can get it for cheaper on the PC, I'd argue that it's still a good game, and worth the cash even now.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I just tried looking, and I can't find anything about the Director's Cut being available for Macs. All I've come across is the Ultimate Edition, and it's only available on the MAS for download. I tried looking for a boxed copy, and managed to come across one, but...it isn't any cheaper.

You might not have any other choice but to get it for $40. Though you can get it for cheaper on the PC, I'd argue that it's still a good game, and worth the cash even now.

Thanks for you help. Yes, $40 is a lot when PC guys can get the better version for $10, that 's sad.. I got the new 27"iMac equipped with a GeForce 780M and there isn't much choices to enjoy it..

You as a gamer would consider bootcamp?

Renzatic

Suspended
You as a gamer would consider bootcamp?

Yeah. Bootcamping is just like having a Windows PC with those exact same specs. And, generally speaking, games on Windows tend to run a little better than they do in OSX.

That said, it's only worth the time and money invested if you plan on getting and playing a lot of Windows exclusive games. If you just fire up the occasional title about once a month or so for something to do, I'd say it probably wouldn't be all that beneficial for you.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Is it possible to save all steam apps on an external usb3 HDD? I have an SSD so space is a little tight when it comes to games.

Renzatic

Suspended
Is it possible to save all steam apps on an external usb3 HDD? I have an SSD so space is a little tight when it comes to games.

Yup. When you first install Steam, it'll ask you where you want it to install all your games. You can use an external drive if you want to.

And yeah, that can be changed later from the settings.

...though a USB3 drive might be a little slow.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Yup. When you first install Steam, it'll ask you where you want it to install all your games. You can use an external drive if you want to.

And yeah, that can be changed later from the settings.

...though a USB3 drive might be a little slow.

What is faster than USB3?

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
If you've got a recent iMac, then Thunderbolt. But it's flaky under Windows from what i hear.

I just read about USB 3.0 game performance, and you should be alright. It's at least just as fast as old SATA 2 magnetic drives, so the worst you should expect are longer load times.

That said, how many GB is your SSD?

I don't need much more than 100GB for work related softwares and files, since I moved all my work related video/photos library to an external storage. There is like 50GB of iTunes videos/movies that I constant delete/download.

350GB of free space to use for games and other stuff, as long as I don't change my mind and bring my video library back, which I think would be unnecessary. The problem is, Bioshock Infinite alone takes 32GB.

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't need much more than 100GB for work related softwares and files, since I moved all my work related video/photos library to an external storage. There is like 50GB of iTunes videos/movies that I constant delete/download.

350GB of free space to use for games and other stuff, as long as I don't change my mind and bring my video library back, which I think would be unnecessary. The problem is, Bioshock Infinite alone takes 32GB.

Don't think I'm condescending (even if it sounds like I am), but the basic rule of thumb is:

Fast drive for the OS, applications, and games, since they need the speed.

Slower drives for files, movies, and music, since they don't.

Like you fire up a game from an SSD, and you'll notice shorter load times across the board. This is obviously something you want.

But movies and music? Even high def Blu-Ray rips can fire off and seek from a old USB 2.0 thumb drive near instantaneously. They don't need that speed. What they do need is space, because they rack up.

Since I'm guessing you have 512GB on your SSD, that should be more than enough for your OSes, games, and apps. Yeah, games are huge these days, but that can be mitigated a bit with a fast internet connection. Keep them around when you're playing them, delete them when you're not.

Though really, the best thing to do would be to shunt your older games to the USB HDDs for storage, and keep the current ones on your SSD. Then, when you want to play them again, just move them back into your Steam program folder. That way, they're always handy.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Yes, I am talking about Human Revolution. Steam only has the PC version, for some reason the Mac one is only available on App Store, Amazon, Feral. =/

Director's Cut trailer shows "available on Mac App Store", but when I go to the App Store I can only Find the Ultimate Edition.

the directors cut is out soon for mac, been discussed on insidemacgames, and will be steamplay, so grab it from the steam sale when its at its cheapest and once its out youll be able to install the mac version.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I decided to not use bootcamp, because I hate windows with all my strength and would never be completely happy living alongside it. Really I was looking steam games and most of them (the ones I like) are available for PS3 and I don't really want to use bootcamp to play one game every few weeks.

Right now I am enjoying SimCity and Starcraft 2. Today I download 20GB XCOM game on steam in about 40 minutes. My internet is fast enough to allow me to take advantage of it and save even more space by deleting/downloading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.