Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
I always wondered if there was an optimum volume to put your ipod at when playing it through aux input on a stereo? The sound seems cleaner when I turn the ipod all the way up and then adjust the stereo volume. When I turn the ipod down, and then turn the stereo up more to compensate, I can here more hissing from the stereo speakers. I wonder if the amp inside the ipod will wear out faster by turning it all the way up? What do you guys think about this?

Nick

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I think at that point you should adjust it to where it sounds best...I don't think having the amp all the way up causes problems. As always, you'll get much better sound with a dock and the line-out.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Use dock line out & ideal iPod volume

If you are not referring to an iPod Shuffle, use a dock with line out and use that to connect to the stereo. Even if you are using a Shuffle buy a dock and use the line out. By using the headphone port the sound goes through two amplifiers, one in the iPod and one in the stereo. I use the Nyko Stereo Link with my living room hi-fi and recommend it highly.
http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=44

If you have to use the headphone port, set the iPod volume to half-way. In my informal listening tests I could hear distortion, especially in the low-end frequencies, when the volume of the iPod was turned all the way up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.