Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goft20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
I just bought a new iPhone 5s today and found a dust speck under the screen. If I go back tomorrow, will I get a new iPhone or a refurbished one? Thanks!:)

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
If you purchased from Apple, you can ask for a new retail one and they will most likely do it. Otherwise, it will be a white box replacement and if they don't have any, they will order a white box replacement and tell you to come back later.

john500y2k

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Sounds like your in the US if your asking about a 30 day return policy. In the UK it is 14 days no quibble exchange or refund in the original packaging and condition. I believe it's the same in the US but just 30 days I think, here it is linked with consumer rights.

I was in a similar situation as you my first one had a black speck that looked like a dead pixel but it wasn't as it was larger and not round. Had it changed after 3 days as that was earliest I could go in.

Then the replacement had a tiny tiny scratch on the screen which wasn't too annoying but just gutting for a device that I didn't even get to touch especially for the cost of the device. Returned to apple to speak to someone the next day.

Went in and both times and just explained calmly what I found. They just swapped it for a brand new retail unit with no questions. That's how it should be. They are very cooperative when it comes to this. You bought a brand new device and it has a flaw upon receipt so therefore you are entitled to a new device not a refurbished (providing relevant stock is there).

Apple have a very good return/exchange policy. They know if they don't exchange the next step the consumer is most likely to take is ask for a refund.

Please do post back on your experience.

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
An exchange entails receiving a new product. It's through the warranty that you'll get a refurb. That said, Apple refurbs are as good as new in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.