Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bloodworth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
I just found out that my little sister used my mother's email/Apple ID when setting up her 4S several months ago. Now my mom is going to get a 4S and I already know that both of them having the same AppleID is going to be very problematic. What's the best way to clear the AppleID from my sister's phone and the stuff it saved to the account so that my sister can setup her own AppleID and my mom can start fresh with her device?

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Sign out of the current iCloud and app store account. Make a new Apple ID. Sign in with that new Apple ID in iCloud and the app store

If you want to completely start over fresh, just do a full restore in iTunes and sign in with the new Apple ID.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
On the same topic, will that allow his sister & Mom to remain signed in to the previous Apple ID account for Find My iPhone since Sis & Mom would perhaps want to be able to help each other track their devices if something unfortunate occurred?

Can separate Apple IDs be used for iMessage & FaceTime while still allowing for tracking (and App Store if desired) under previous main Apple ID? (Understanding that each item would have to be signed in under the appropriate Apple ID.)

My son and I are facing this currently and it's a PITA. :(

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Moving an iPhone to a new AppleID

On the same topic, will that allow his sister & Mom to remain signed in to the previous Apple ID account for Find My iPhone since Sis & Mom would perhaps want to be able to help each other track their devices if something unfortunate occurred?

Can separate Apple IDs be used for iMessage & FaceTime while still allowing for tracking (and App Store if desired) under previous main Apple ID? (Understanding that each item would have to be signed in under the appropriate Apple ID.)

My son and I are facing this currently and it's a PITA. :(

Nothing is preventing you from signing into your son's Apple ID (and viceversa) in the case of loss/theft. An easier solution is the Find My iPhone app. Do you have it? From what I understand, you can track any device(s) within this application, as long as you know the Apple ID/iCloud and password. No need to sign out of the primary account from within the device itself.

Also, you can sign in/out of the App Store as needed. My mom has her own account, but, occasionally she would see an app of mine that she wants. I simply sign into my account on her device, download it, and then sign back into hers.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
OP, please excuse the hijack. :) I believe you and I are dealing with variations of the same problem.

We do use Find My iPhone, which is enabled under iCloud Settings with the primary Apple ID and needs to remain the same (along with the App Store, as well, for app sharing.) We are geographically located 800 miles apart.

My research seems to indicate that an additional Apple ID can be set up on his iPhone under Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendar > Accounts > Add Account > iCloud > Scroll to bottom of page and choose Get a Free Apple ID. This won't remove the primary ID but should then be set up using his own Gmail address (on record from a previous attempt turning ON iMessage, which then replaced my phone number with his for everything. Signing in to my Apple account online allowed me to correct this after he turned iMessage OFF.) We are seeking to avoid this scramble yet be able to use iMessage on both iPhones. FaceTime works via phone numbers.

Our situation is reversed in that I'm the original Apple ID user (2009) and whenever I upgrade my iPhone I pass the previous one along to my son. He's presently using my previous iPhone 4 while I use iP5 (having chosen to wait until 2014, 3rd Quarter, to upgrade my iPhone and pass iP5 along.) He bought a MacBook Air yesterday for work and as soon as he set it up, I got the popup Apple message telling me that his new Mac was signed into iMessage & FaceTime with the original Apple ID and both of our email addresses. He sees no way to uncheck my primary email address but that may be because it's tied to the only existing Apple ID. Creating a secondary ID for him might remedy that situation.

At the moment, iMessage is turned OFF for him on his iPhone in order to keep from getting iMessages meant for me.

This stuff gives me a headache. It would be easier to just use 2 separate Apple IDs for everything but it would not be better for our purposes, which are:

SHARE: Find My iPhone, App Store (original Apple ID)

SEPARATE: iMessage, FaceTime (secondary ID, via iCloud)

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Moving an iPhone to a new AppleID

Your iCloud/AppleID/Apple Account are essentially the same thing. My advice is to stop sharing the same account for the App Store. It's less of a headache this way. That's really your only issue because I think you may be confused about FindMyiPhone. As long as you have that feature ON and enabled under iCloud settings, you can also use the FindMyiPhone app to track that account, from remotely anywhere. For instance, you can even track your phone from http://www.icloud.com from a computer. After your son makes his own Apple account for his device, he can still track your iPhone or iPad by using the FindMyiPhone app.

With the exception of sharing purchases in the App Store, there's no reason to share the same account. Make things A LOT easier.

Last edited:

Bloodworth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
@lelisa13p
Don't worry about the hijack, glad to help get you answers.

Sign out of the current iCloud and app store account. Make a new Apple ID. Sign in with that new Apple ID in iCloud and the app store

If you want to completely start over fresh, just do a full restore in iTunes and sign in with the new Apple ID.

Okay, so since I've only (so far) had experiences with an iPod Touch (up to iOS 6), all my sister needs to do is switch the account in
Settings>iCloud,
Settings>Mail (if applicable),
Settings>Messages>Send and Receive,
Settings>FaceTime,
Settings>iTunes & App Stores,
Settings>Videos

Or does changing the account in just iCloud and iTunes & App Stores change all that?

Also, easiest way to clear out all the contacts etc stored on iCloud?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.