Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
hello I just got my first iPad, I got the mini I am familiar with iOS having iPod and iPhones in the past but my question is, are some apps not meant for iPad even if they install?

example Vine looks really bad on the iPad is this because you are essentially running an app designed to look good on the smaller iphone and ipod screen?

some apps like candy crush and hayday look great on all 3 devices, is this because the app is designed that way?

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
The apps you mentioned are made for the iphone and you can only use them in iphone view or blow then up to twice he size. It doesn't really look that good in my opinion but when downloading apps for the iPad, to get apps optimized for the iPad download the ones with a plus sign next to buy or free or just get the ipad only apps

Voodoofreak

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
Congratulations on your new iPad!!

You are correct. You will find many apps that are designed specifically for smaller screens...while others will have both versions available (for iPads and iPhones). You already listed a few examples in your post.

When you go into the App Store on your iPad, there is a section on top that lets you filter based on iPad/iPhone apps.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
To add to the discussion and get a bit more specific, there are three types of apps: Universal, iPhone/iPod Touch, and iPad. Universal apps are coded to work on any device. These are indicated by a small plus sign in the box around the purchase price, as well as being stated in the description. They will install on any device. iPhone/iPod Touch apps are only made for those devices, but they will install on an iPad as well, they'll just look pixelated. iPad apps are exclusive to iPad and cannot be installed on an iPhone/iPod Touch, but the upshot is they look great on an iPad.

You could also run into some older non-retina apps, but the vast majority of current apps have been updated to support the iPad retina displays. Any non-retina app will also look pixelated.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Congratulations on your new iPad!!

You are correct. You will find many apps that are designed specifically for smaller screens...while others will have both versions available (for iPads and iPhones). You already listed a few examples in your post.

When you go into the App Store on your iPad, there is a section on top that lets you filter based on iPad/iPhone apps.

Yeah this. Make sure you are getting apps designed for iPad and congrats on the tablet!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
hello I just got my first iPad, I got the mini I am familiar with iOS having iPod and iPhones in the past but my question is, are some apps not meant for iPad even if they install?

example Vine looks really bad on the iPad is this because you are essentially running an app designed to look good on the smaller iphone and ipod screen?

some apps like candy crush and hayday look great on all 3 devices, is this because the app is designed that way?

Through trial and error, I've found it's not a good idea to get apps that are marked "optimized for iPhone x" then try to run them on iPads. They tend to look terrible. I downloaded a couple (free) that look fine on iPhone, but on iPad they are hideous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.