Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
It's January on the International Dateline

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here **

----------

It's well into the day and new year Downunder! Hope you all survived the night.

Here's another of that car park to get the ball rolling!

More Curves by playswithlight, on Flickr

Last edited:

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
_MG_1506-L.jpg

The Dock Blues

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Very nice!

My first attempts with the 10-stop ND filter.

Comments & Critique?

IMG_2546.jpg by Puckman2012, on Flickr

I'd try a different composition, more water, less sand, without the rock and the breakwater combining. It also takes a very particular type of cloud pattern and cover for the cloud to work really well, from my experience. Around about 30% cloud cover and not moving too fast, radar viewable online of actual cloud is very convenient for this. Play with different heights of capture on your tripod too, it's amazing how much the POV can change with just a small shift up or down. Don't be scared to isolate that rock or rocks by themselves either, with no sky.

If you haven't yet, get a remote shutter release that lets you dial in the time and make friends with Bulb mode on your camera! If I remember rightly, you have the 6D also? There is a YongNuo remote shutter available for about $30 on fleabay, which is also an intervalometer, I have that's solid and reliable.

Most importantly, have fun with it! ;)

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
I'd try a different composition, more water, less sand, without the rock and the breakwater combining. It also takes a very particular type of cloud pattern and cover for the cloud to work really well, from my experience. Around about 30% cloud cover and not moving too fast, radar viewable online of actual cloud is very convenient for this. Play with different heights of capture on your tripod too, it's amazing how much the POV can change with just a small shift up or down. Don't be scared to isolate that rock or rocks by themselves either, with no sky.

If you haven't yet, get a remote shutter release that lets you dial in the time and make friends with Bulb mode on your camera! If I remember rightly, you have the 6D also? There is a YongNuo remote shutter available for about $30 on fleabay, which is also an intervalometer, I have that's solid and reliable.

Most importantly, have fun with it! ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I actually do have the YN trigger. Although as far as I can tell, you have to keep holding the button down in bulb mode (which is precisely how this shot was taken).

Your feedback about composition is specially helpful. Once again, I feel that is my biggest area of weakness.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I had a little birthday party on Sunday and decided to set up a very basic Photo Booth that could be operated by anyone who wanted.

I didn’t have any expectations with it and didn’t have to ‘tend to it’ at all during the night so it was really nice to have some mementos from the occasion without the stress and responsibility that goes with having to cover an event!

Not really much critique that can be given but comments are always appreciated!

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I actually do have the YN trigger. Although as far as I can tell, you have to keep holding the button down in bulb mode (which is precisely how this shot was taken).

Your feedback about composition is specially helpful. Once again, I feel that is my biggest area of weakness.

You are welcome, I have received some incredibly generous advice here (and elsewhere) along the way. Sometimes being that little thing that has made all the difference and is now an automatic response for me when out and about grabbing captures.

For the YN trigger, using the left or right buttons, make sure the line is under "LONG" then using the up and down buttons set your duration, press "SET" to lock it in. To activate it, just click the little "TIMER START/STOP" button and it will close the shutter for you if you are on Bulb mode. I use mirror up and a 2 second delay (in camera) to help avoid camera vibration.

***Make sure you have nothing set for "DELAY" and "INTVL"***
They are used for setting a delay before the frame is captured and for setting it to take so many frames. When I first got it, I had it set to a 50 second delay, not a 50 second exposure and it did my head in as to why it wasn't working. :eek:

I take my batteries out of it after every use, so it's completely blank in regard of settings when I go to use it. I'm really chuffed with it for features, reliability, build and price. Chinese reverse engineering at its best!

gaswerks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2006
new year's morning near bragg creek alberta ...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 262

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
You are welcome, I have received some incredibly generous advice here (and elsewhere) along the way. Sometimes being that little thing that has made all the difference and is now an automatic response for me when out and about grabbing captures.

For the YN trigger, using the left or right buttons, make sure the line is under "LONG" then using the up and down buttons set your duration, press "SET" to lock it in. To activate it, just click the little "TIMER START/STOP" button and it will close the shutter for you if you are on Bulb mode. I use mirror up and a 2 second delay (in camera) to help avoid camera vibration.

***Make sure you have nothing set for "DELAY" and "INTVL"***
They are used for setting a delay before the frame is captured and for setting it to take so many frames. When I first got it, I had it set to a 50 second delay, not a 50 second exposure and it did my head in as to why it wasn't working. :eek:

I take my batteries out of it after every use, so it's completely blank in regard of settings when I go to use it. I'm really chuffed with it for features, reliability, build and price. Chinese reverse engineering at its best!

Which model do you have? I don't think the ones I have (YN603) have any of this functionality.

Another shot from the same session as yesterday, slightly different composition (better?)

IMG_2548.jpg by Puckman2012, on Flickr

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Which model do you have? I don't think the ones I have (YN603) have any of this functionality.

Another shot from the same session as yesterday, slightly different composition (better?)

It's also sold under the name "Aputure" AP TRC3

Better composition being separated from the breakwater, but weird looking rocks, as in the shape of them, for me. I'd also like to see some of the detail in them, open up the shadows of them a bit. I'm unsure as to the little bit of it crossing the horizon, maybe it needs a bit more up there. Maybe even try a square crop to not have the breakwater in the frame.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

[url=http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/11676002176_7c32eef74b_b.jpg]Image[/url]

For me, the shot looks fine as is. I don't mind the rocks being silhouetted, in shadow; opening up the shadows would look a bit odd, I think. I like the thin band of pink at the horizon. Given the 'heaviness' of the black shape, I might have composed the pic with the rocks at the bottom... but it's still a satisfying - and slightly enigmatic - image...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.