Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hi there.

Do you know if there is a GameBoy Advance emulator that I could use on my Mac, so I can play online against a friend?

I know that there are some tools available on Windows to play GBA games online, but obviously I'm not touching that. :p

Cheers.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I don't know if they handle the online aspect you are looking for, but we just covered the release of OpenEmu recently.

B

Pdjudd is right. Though OpenEmu is a GREAT app, it doesn't cover multiplayer options.

Renzatic

Suspended
Pdjudd is right. Though OpenEmu is a GREAT app, it doesn't cover multiplayer options.

Very do actually do. I've seen a couple of emulators around that do, but from my experiences, they're flaky at best. I played a game of Contra with a friend of mine once, and it was...yeah...I don't wanna talk about it. Horrible memories.

Though what you could do is try and run a game through a remote desktop, like (the appropriately named) Apple Remote Desktop, Splashtop or LogMeIn. I've never done it, but it could be worth experimenting with.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

Wish it did too. Don’t know how they could do it (maybe a dedicated service that would handle the routing ala Xbox live or something similar) to keep to their “it just works mantra.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Very do actually do. I've seen a couple of emulators around that do, but from my experiences, they're flaky at best. I played a game of Contra with a friend of mine once, and it was...yeah...I don't wanna talk about it. Horrible memories.

Though what you could do is try and run a game through a remote desktop, like (the appropriately named) Apple Remote Desktop, Splashtop or LogMeIn. I've never done it, but it could be worth experimenting with.

I fail to see how would Apple Remote Desktop help me with this. Could you explain further?

Renzatic

Suspended
I fail to see how would Apple Remote Desktop help me with this. Could you explain further?

Think of it as playing a game with someone sitting right next to you...but they're not. They're just remoting into your desktop from their house, and interacting with the emulator you've got running on your computer.

Like I said, I don't know how well it'll work, or even if it'll work at all. You'll have to account for lag, controller support, and all that good stuff. But if it ends up working well, then you've got your answer for playing old emulated games over the internet.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Think of it as playing a game with someone sitting right next to you...but they're not. They're just remoting into your desktop from their house, and interacting with the emulator you've got running on your computer.

Like I said, I don't know how well it'll work, or even if it'll work at all. You'll have to account for lag, controller support, and all that good stuff. But if it ends up working well, then you've got your answer for playing old emulated games over the internet.

Except that I was referring to Game Boy Advance games, where each player should see a different screen (unlike a SNES game, for example, in which both players participate in the same screen).

Renzatic

Suspended
Except that I was referring to Game Boy Advance games, where each player should see a different screen (unlike a SNES game, for example, in which both players participate in the same screen).

Ahh, my bad.

I managed to dig up this, which allows you to play multilinked GBA games over a LAN, which means it could support online multiplayer through a VPN...in theory.

Only problem? I couldn't find an OSX rev, which means you'd have to go through WINE. Long story short, I've got a lot of possibilities, but no definite answers for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.