Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
I read the specs and saw it in store but just wanted to confirm... iMac's don't have retina display? If not, what are the rumors like for the future?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I read the specs and saw it in store but just wanted to confirm... iMac's don't have retina display? If not, what are the rumors like for the future?

Nope. The next iMacs may have 4K at 3840x2160 though.

The current iMacs don't have retina display because at that time, Apple's display suppliers didn't have the capability to mass produce 4K displays at those sizes.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Nope. The next iMacs may have 4K at 3840x2160 though.

The current iMacs don't have retina display because at that time, Apple's display suppliers didn't have the capability to mass produce 4K displays at those sizes.

Ah. Thanks mate. Would nice if they did come with it. Fingers crossed. We got a whole year to look forward to :D

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Ah. Thanks mate. Would nice if they did come with it. Fingers crossed. We got a whole year to look forward to :D

My gut feeling's telling me that they'll bring 4K iMacs next year, considering that 4K is all the rage now.

It's very possible that they'll include NVIDIA Maxwell-architecture GPUs, which is expected to give a big improvement, along with the Intel Broadwell architecture.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
My gut feeling's telling me that they'll bring 4K iMacs next year, considering that 4K is all the rage now.

It's very possible that they'll include NVIDIA Maxwell-architecture GPUs, which is expected to give a big improvement, along with the Intel Broadwell architecture.

You're probably right. But at what cost? 4K displays are still too expensive. So, I wouldn't be surprised if we see like an iMac Retina along with the current iMac lineup. Then slowly phase the lower res. iMac's like they're doing with the MBP and rMBP.

IMO, we're still 2-3 years away from that.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I did wonder for a while whether we would see smaller retina iMacs, perhaps a return to the 19" configuration while the screens become affordable. I'm now thinking we might see new Thunderbolt Displays first because Apple are not offering their own monitor for the new pro.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
If it plays out like the macbook did it will be retina next year but slightly under powered. 2016 retina with adequate power. In fact that's how apple does all it's products. New tech and form factor first year and same tech and form factor next year with speed improvements to match the tech.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
My issue with the retina display idea with the iMac is the mobile GPU's barely keep up with running the 27" iMac's resolution of 2560x1440. How much of a struggle will a 4K or Apple's retina practices so far( which is doubling the resolution) put on them?

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
If it plays out like the macbook did it will be retina next year but slightly under powered. 2016 retina with adequate power. In fact that's how apple does all it's products. New tech and form factor first year and same tech and form factor next year with speed improvements to match the tech.

Can't help but notice your signature.. It says you have a 2014 iMac...? Um? What? 2014 iMac has not been released bro.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
My issue with the retina display idea with the iMac is the mobile GPU's barely keep up with running the 27" iMac's resolution of 2560x1440. How much of a struggle will a 4K or Apple's retina practices so far( which is doubling the resolution) put on them?

This is a very valid point. I wouldn't be at all happy about a 4K iMac with the current mobile graphics technology & drivers.

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
This is a very valid point. I wouldn't be at all happy about a 4K iMac with the current mobile graphics technology & drivers.

Don't you worry. When the iMacs will have retina displays, the mobile GPUs will run at least 2 4K monitors.

I simply can't see a retina iMac before autumn 2015.

----------

Lol I could change that I guess. But they are building it now. It's 2014.

It doesn't matter. It's still a 2013 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.