Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Do many other people find the OS X fullscreen animation to be downright painful?

When you click on the fullscreen button there seems to be a moments pause (a very short pause, but it's noticeable) and then it does the 1-second animation. Old-fashioned full screen (that was on a per-app basis) was instant.

And it's not just the speed, many apps also look terrible during the transition and simply become a blurry mess. The worst are things like HTML videos in Chrome that pause (with the sound still playing) during the transition. Some apps handle the transition smoothly and without the blur, like finder. But most don't.

I understand that the animation is there to show the app is being moved to it's own space. But for those of us that understand the concept, I would really like to be able to disable that darn animation.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Do many other people find the OS X fullscreen animation to be downright painful?

When you click on the fullscreen button there seems to be a moments pause (a very short pause, but it's noticeable) and then it does the 1-second animation. Old-fashioned full screen (that was on a per-app basis) was instant.

And it's not just the speed, many apps also look terrible during the transition and simply become a blurry mess. The worst are things like HTML videos in Chrome that pause (with the sound still playing) during the transition. Some apps handle the transition smoothly and without the blur, like finder. But most don't.

I understand that the animation is there to show the app is being moved to it's own space. But for those of us that understand the concept, I would really like to be able to disable that darn animation.

If they would just speed it and allow an option to remove it like they did in iOS 7. What really bugs me is when the app doesn't expand until it move to the next space. Like iTunes will occasionally move over to a patch of gray and then expand. I realize this is a glitch, but it makes the animation painfully slow. Plus, sometimes when I go full screen on one display it will STILL shift my other display, but at least I can swipe back.

joyrida12

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
Open terminal

Type " defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO"

Hit enter

Edit: Close all applications before you do this to make sure the setting propagates. Any app running when you make this change will need to be restarted for the changes to take effect.

errrick

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
doesn't work.

the entering fullscreen animation is still there and slow as usual.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Personally, if Apple wants to add these animations, they should render it at the speed of the animations found in iOS like new window opening in iOS 6, where it's just quick and snappy instead of the slow transition.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Does anyone notice a difference when pressing CTRL+COMMAND+F to enter Full Screen instead of clicking the button? It may be my imagination, but it seems a bit faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.