Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Please provide links to any good stress tests I should run on my nMP when it arrives. I'd like to run some for a day or two continuously to verify that the computer can handle this, and doesn't, for example, develop the high pitched sound out of the speaker that Anand saw.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How about just run the standard apps you use under the typical load and see what happens.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know why but no one seems to reply when I ask them to run SPECviewperf® 12 or SPECviewperf® 11 test on their new Mac Pro.

Download links
SPECviewperf® 12
SPECviewperf® 11

From what I read, apparently no.12 is updated to benchmark AMD FirePros better then no.11, but no.12 is new, so in terms of database, there's more data on no.11 but I guess it wont be a fair comparison as it's not optimized for AMD FirePros??

For those wondering what is SPECviewperf and why I kept asking it to be tested on the nMP.

SPECviewperf 12 is an all-new version of the worldwide standard for measuring graphics performance based on professional applications. It was developed by the SPEC graphics performance characterization group (SPECgpc). SPECgpc members at the time of release include AMD, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Intel, Lenovo, NEC and NVIDIA.

SPECviewperf 12 measures the 3D graphics performance of systems running under the OpenGL and Direct X application programming interfaces. The benchmark’s test files, called viewsets, represent graphics content and behavior from actual applications. The benchmark does not require the full application and associated licensing to be installed on the system under test, simplifying set-up, running and results reporting.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
So, you want to stress test your nMP for two days in preparation to use apps that won't even put it under load overnight? Umm, ok, hahaha. I know my post is not at all helpful and I'm not implying anything negative, really. I just honestly got a good chuckle out of this.

Edit: I hope I didn't cause offense. It's just funny seeing where our heads go while people anticipate the arrival of their computers. I'd probably be doing the same things as you~

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I'd run prime95 and cgminer 3.7.2 (or earlier) at the same time.
I'd also prepare to be disappointed :)

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
So, you want to stress test your nMP for two days in preparation to use apps that won't even put it under load overnight? Umm, ok, hahaha. I know my post is not at all helpful and I'm not implying anything negative, really. I just honestly got a good chuckle out of this.

Edit: I hope I didn't cause offense. It's just funny seeing where our heads go while people anticipate the arrival of their computers. I'd probably be doing the same things as you~

One reason to do this would be to get the kinks out early. If there is some design flaw in your particular machine, a through and prolonged stress test as soon as it arrives might find it. Which would be better, in some peoples eyes anyway, than just going about your normal business for 6 months or so, only to have your machine crap out at an inconvenient time. Basically, downtime at some random point in the relatively distant future when you’re counting on your machine to work is more costly than the first few days before you’ve really started using it.

I don’t know if modern computers from vendors like Apple, which presumably are very constantly reliable, really require this, but that’s how I see it anyway.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
One reason to do this would be to get the kinks out early. If there is some design flaw in your particular machine, a through and prolonged stress test as soon as it arrives might find it. Which would be better, in some peoples eyes anyway, than just going about your normal business for 6 months or so, only to have your machine crap out at an inconvenient time. Basically, downtime at some random point in the relatively distant future when you’re counting on your machine to work is more costly than the first few days before you’ve really started using it.

I don’t know if modern computers from vendors like Apple, which presumably are very constantly reliable, really require this, but that’s how I see it anyway.
Do computers really work like this? 6 months of moderate use can be simulated by 2 days of extreme use? I don't know the answer.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Do computers really work like this? 6 months of moderate use can be simulated by 2 days of extreme use? I don't know the answer.

It'll quickly show you if you've got a dud. If you're buying a bargain basement desktop off ebay or an expensive workstation from a top vendor, it should be able to run flat out.
The psu and cooling on the nMP does make me raise an eyebrow though, I'll be interested in hearing the results.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
It'll quickly show you if you've got a dud. If you're buying a bargain basement desktop off ebay or an expensive workstation from a top vendor, it should be able to run flat out.
Ok, I can buy that.

QuakeProd

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
KC
cant think of anything thats super heavy, but two apps come to mind:

Handbrake and Screenflow.

they are pretty heavy

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
When will you be receiving your machine? I'm desperately looking for anyone to run a specviewperf test. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.