Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone and iPad Dominate Mobile Web Share Throughout Holidays

Apple's iPhone was the only smartphone to gain mobile web traffic share in North America during the holidays, according to a new report from analytics firm Chitika, suggesting that the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c were popular with consumers over the holiday season.

The iPhone saw a 1.8 percent jump in web traffic from the period between December 20 and December 29, while other smartphone manufacturers experienced no gains or a slight loss in traffic share. Overall, the iPhone has a 54.3 percent share of total mobile web traffic, far above its closest competitor Samsung, which has a 23.7 percent share.

Despite its minor share loss, the iPad remains the most popular tablet, comprising 76.1 percent of all mobile web traffic in North America. Apple's closest competitor, Amazon, has a 9.4 percent share, while Microsoft and Samsung come in at 2.3 and 5.9 percent.

Mobile web traffic usage numbers have changed little over the course of the last year, with iOS devices continuing to dominate Android devices. In a report from late 2012, Chitika noted that iOS had an overall usage share of 67 percent, while Android had a 33 percent share.

Apple's mobile web traffic dominance was also confirmed by a recent report from IBM, indicating the majority of online shopping from mobile devices during the Christmas holiday was done by iOS users rather than Android users. 23 percent of total online sales on Christmas in the U.S. were made from iOS devices, while just 4.6 percent were made from Android devices.

To gather its data, Chitika used its Chitika network ad impressions, analyzing data from millions of smartphone and tablet users in both the United States and Canada. An ad impression was measured each time an individual user loaded a page containing Chitika ad code, giving an impression of overall web usage rather than a measurement of unique users.

Article Link: iPhone and iPad Dominate Mobile Web Share Throughout Holidays
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502

it is always amazing that although Android continues to lead in number of devices sold, the web traffic share is so skewed towards iOS. Good for Apple.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:37 PM   #3
jctech
macrumors newbie

Apple does it again

Apple once again proves that it has no competition!
jctech is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctech View Post
Apple once again proves that it has no competition!
This is worldwide is it?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:42 PM   #5
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
What does this actually mean? More so, what significance does this have?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
What does this actually mean? More so, what significance does this have?
It means the vast majority of people messing around the internet with their mobile phones are doing so on Apple hardware.

And the significance? I guess it means if you're on an Android phone, you're not using the internet all that much. I have no idea why.
Renzatic is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
it is always amazing that although Android continues to lead in number of devices sold, the web traffic share is so skewed towards iOS. Good for Apple.
Have you ever done anything on an Android device? Most web browsers are a pain to use, with terrible zoom and laggy scrolling. I usually try to find a dedicated app for everything to avoid using the web browser.

iOS devices are a treat to use, so just "doing stuff" is in itself a reward.
Xenomorph is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:50 PM   #8
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Have you ever done anything on an Android device? Most web browsers are a pain to use, with terrible zoom and laggy scrolling. I usually try to find a dedicated app for everything to avoid using the web browser.

Oh yeah. You are 100% correct.

Oh wait - I find surfing on my Nexus 7 and GS4 (as well as my iOS devices) to all be the same "pleasurable" experience.

No idea what Android browsers you're using.. But chrome and firefox has always been great for me.
samcraig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:51 PM   #9
LagunaSol
Banned

Apparently Google's strategy of giving stuff away for free isn't working to increase their stranglehold on the Web.
LagunaSol is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Macist
macrumors 6502a

People buy iPhones because they want a smartphone they'll use the hell out of.

SOME people buy Android as a top-end smartphone but many just get them because the phone on some cheap deal just happened to be Android.

With Tablets it's even worse: 'Wow, I got this Android tablet - it was so much cheaper than iPad!'. Five minutes later it's shoved in the junk drawer while people are using their iPads to death.

Last edited by Macist; Jan 2, 2014 at 02:33 PM.
Macist is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:52 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors 604

What exactly do they mean by Google? Are those Nexus devices?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:55 PM   #12
micropig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
the iPhone has a 54.3 percent share of total mobile web traffic
Quote:
the iPad remains the most popular tablet, comprising 76.1 percent of all mobile web traffic
The wording is a little ambiguous here...these two numbers are specific to phones/tablets, right?
micropig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:56 PM   #13
a.coward
macrumors member

Ad Blocking Software

Seeing the numbers are based on ad impressions, I wonder how much
of an impact the availability of ad blocking plugins (e.g Adblock Plus)
on Android devices running Chrome has on the numbers.
a.coward is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
One thing is to buy a device and another one to actually use it.
In my case, my iPad is my most used device, followed by my iPhone and then my MacBook Pro and AppleTV.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:01 PM   #15
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post

Have you? Chrome on Android is about as flawless a mobile browser as you could ask for.

As to your last comment... wow.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
People buy iPhones because they want a smartphone they'll use the hell out of.

SOME people buy Android as a top-end smartphone but many just get them because the phone on some cheap deal just happened to be Android.

With Tablets it's even worse: 'Wow, I got this Android tablet - it was no much cheaper than iPad!'. Five minutes later it's shoved in the junk drawer while people are using their iPads to death.
Has anyone said this in reality or do we just regurgitate what we read on fan sites? Anyone I have ever known who has used a Nexus tablet device has been nothing but completely satisfied with it.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

When I first got the iPad I kinda thought I blew $599...

18 months later, not only did it become my primary internet device, I couldn't even justify buying a new Laptop last holidays regardless of the massive deals. I can totally see how people can have multiple devices, but use the iDevice as their primary internet browser.
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:02 PM   #17
N64
Banned

Nice job Apple. iPhone dominates. Too bad you can't put some of your effort into Mavericks. I've had it with this horrible memory management (that improved memory management was BS) and general sluggishness. When my computer wakes up, it's going to be running Mountain Lion.
N64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:03 PM   #18
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Numbers like this bode well for Apple's future marketshare growth... while Samsung/Google may be selling a lot of devices due to low price, ultimately they aren't being used, which doesn't reflect well on their customer satisfaction... when it comes time to buy a new device, they're likely going to consider an Apple product. Whereas Apple users aren't switching to Android in significant numbers.
DTphonehome is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:03 PM   #19
jayducharme
macrumors 68000

What confounds me is how one report a few days ago said that Safari occupies about 3% of web traffic as a browser. Then a report like this one that says iPhones and iPads (presumably using Safari) account for the majority of browsing on the web. I guess the first report was about desktop browsers (which are probably becoming more and more irrelevant).

So if mobile devices currently outnumber desktops/laptops, I would assume then that this report is great news for Apple and that they have the dominant browser.
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:04 PM   #20
captain cadet
macrumors member

This is where pefectiom is needed. People will only bother to use the onboard browser if it's good and of its rubbish they will only use apps like Facebook to surf the net. Apple takes pride in safari while other companies see it as a utility and do t put much effort into it.
When was the last time you saw google talk about chrome on android? Or Microsoft say much about Internet explorer (not as much as they use to) - also who has tired to use the internet on a android device? It's buggy as anything!
captain cadet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:05 PM   #21
N64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Has anyone said this in reality or do we just regurgitate what we read on fan sites? Anyone I have ever known who has used a Nexus tablet device has been nothing but completely satisfied with it.
One of my friends, the only one I know with an Android tablet, bought one and never seems to use it, but I don't know what happened. I know another friend who bought a Sony tablet and only used it once, but he doesn't really count since he did that with an Xbox 360 as well (neither game that came with it worked).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:06 PM   #22
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Is this the thread where all the die-hard Apple fans come to lick their wounds and celebrate the last chart in which Apple is still in the lead?
Speedy2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:07 PM   #23
N64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
What confounds me is how one report a few days ago said that Safari occupies about 3% of web traffic as a browser. Then a report like this one that says iPhones and iPads (presumably using Safari) account for the majority of browsing on the web. I guess the first report was about desktop browsers (which are probably becoming more and more irrelevant).

So if mobile devices currently outnumber desktops/laptops, I would assume then that this report is great news for Apple and that they have the dominant browser.
You've forgotten that Macs can run Firefox and Chrome. The Mac Firefox sucks for some reason and also isn't so popular, but Chrome is very popular probably because people were used to using it in Windows. Not sure what's the point of using it when you have Safari, but anyway it takes a large bite out of Safari usage.
N64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:08 PM   #24
co.ag.2005
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Have you? Chrome on Android is about as flawless a mobile browser as you could ask for.
doesn't feel flawless to me. Chrome still feels laggy to me compared to Safari. I still prefer the browsing experience of Safari on my iPhone compared to Chrome on my Nexus 5.

this is just my experience. not negating yours in any way.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:10 PM   #25
N64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain cadet View Post
When was the last time you saw google talk about chrome on android? Or Microsoft say much about Internet explorer (not as much as they use to) - also who has tired to use the internet on a android device?
Last December 31 at 23:50. Microsoft pushes and advertises IE a lot; the thing is that they don't actually improve it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion