Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

scannerpro.png
Readdle's popular document scanning app Scanner Pro has been named Apple's app of the Week, and as a result, it is available for free for the first time since its initial 2011 release.

Scanner Pro is one of the most highly rated scanning apps in the App Store and is designed to turn the iPhone or the iPad into a portable scanner for documents, receipts, notes, photos, and more. The app removes shadows, sharpens scans, and corrects perspective in order to make scans as "readable as possible."

It also utilizes edge detection in order to create fast, accurate scans, and it stores scans as PDF files that can be uploaded to Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, or emailed/printed.
Scanner Pro transforms your iPhone and iPad into portable scanners. It allows you to scan receipts, whiteboards, paper notes, or any multipage document.

Scanned documents can be emailed and printed, uploaded to Dropbox, Google Drive and Evernote, or simply saved on the iPhone/iPad.
While Scanner Pro has been priced as low as $1.99 during sales, it typically costs $6.99 to download. For the next week, it will be available from the App Store at no cost. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Readdle's 'Scanner Pro' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Cool. I 've just downloaded it.

I seriously thought about downloading it a while back but had reservations...then saw it recently go on ale and thought some more but hesitated.

Thank you Apple.

**this would have been a great 12 Days of Gifting App...to show what the iOS devices are capable of.**

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
How does this compare to using the page scanner/camera feature directly in Evernote which seems to do an okay job?

ralphdaily

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I downloaded Scanner Pro a couple of weeks ago and should have done it sooner. It is first rate. I particularly like the way it can automatically upload document scans to Evernote. I can scan the things that seem important to remember and search for them later in Evernote. Very handy.

scottjl

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Curious why this popular App has only 34 reviews?

because this version was released on 12/27/13. like all apps, when a new version is pushed out, reviews are cleared out. tap "All Versions" to see the 7,786 ratings...

r46464

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
Help needed... I just downloaded the apps to my iPad mini. After I had taken the pic of a doc, the apps will shut off automatically. I don't seems to be able to get it work. Anyone had this problem before? Any suggestion if I need to tweek the setting on my iPad? Thanks... james

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Cool.

But, explain to me why this isn't one of the "12 gifts" freebies?
Based on what I've seen so far from the "12 Gifts" app, it looks like Apple is focusing on entertainment titles for that promotion, rather than productivity tools or things like menstruation tracking apps.

Would you give your wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas?

;)

No wait, you're a MacRumors forum commenter, you probably would...

:D

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow... amazingly clean app. This will be useful when I'm on my awesome international spy missions! :D

----------

Based on what I've seen so far from the "12 Gifts" app, it looks like Apple is focusing on entertainment titles for that promotion, rather than productivity tools or things like menstruation tracking apps.

Would you give your wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas?

;)

No wait, you're a MacRumors forum commenter, you probably would...

:D

My wife loves her Dyson. :D

chender

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
How does this compare to using the page scanner/camera feature directly in Evernote which seems to do an okay job?

I am very active with both. The key to ScannerPro is the ability to save in pdf format (or image format). Then it has a built in upload to EN. So the two work together well. Saving in pdf works well when uploaded to EN because its a smaller file size and pdf works well in EN.

Other interesting ScannerPro key elements:
1. create multi page documents.
2. decent auto scan for document edge
3. large number of customiseable options including page size (letter A4 etc)

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I purchased this app several months ago. It works pretty well. A few updates back, the functionality on snapping the scan seems to have a changed. It would tell you to hold still and a second or two would pass and take the scan. Now it tells you to hold still and it sometimes takes 15 seconds before it will take the scan. I think it has something to do with the border detection but I'm just guessing. I've tried changing all the option in different combinations but not change to the long delay some scans have.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I just downloaded the app and it works very well, I am very impressed but you kind of have to take a perfect shot to make it look professional. But for a simple app, it is really good. Also love the iCloud and iOS 7 support. I wouldn't pay $6.99 for it though.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Bought it a couple of years back when it was on sale. It wasn't the best scanner app back then, but hey, it was on sale!

And it keeps getting better and better. It's awesome now, and I'm happy with my purchase, that's for sure!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Great app. Been using it for about a year to scan all of my family docs. Auto-upload to Dropbox works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.