Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlusk99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I am really leaning towards picking up an iPad. I don't really NEED one, but I want one! Had never bought an Apple product until my Sony laptop basically fell apart last year after only 2 years. I decided I wanted something that would last, and I am so happy with the Macbook Pro I got last year. My phone contract just became eligible for upgrade, so I decided to pick up the iPhone 5s. Now I want more!

I actually bring my laptop with me all the time in the car to watch movies, listen to podcasts, surf the web (when I'm not driving). I would love to do this without having to lug the laptop in and out of the car. I like to surf the web if I'm eating alone at a restaurant, and I'm constantly looking up recipes while at the grocery on my phone or comparing or researching products while in the store. Using the iPhone for this is passable, but I'd rather something easier to read and navigate.

After that spiel, my main questions are:

Air or Mini? I've played around at Bestbuy and undoubtedly the Airs are easier to read and browse with. The only issue here is portability. Is it awkward carrying an Air around the grocery as compared to a mini?

I have a good cell data plan and dont feel like being bothered with tethering all the time, so I definitely want the Verizon model. Is there a difference between buying directly through Verizon or from an independent vendor? If you buy from a vendor, how is it activated by Verizon?

How much storage do I need? I have a big iTunes TV collection and I love to watch shows and movies on my devices. I was looking into a way to store my data at home on a NAS or something like that and stream everything, but at this point that seems expensive to set up and still not ideal. (maybe in the not too distant future this will become easier) I would love to be able to copy all of my library to the Ipad. Is there a truly easy option for streaming from home, or should I just bite the bullet and get the 128?

Oh just wanted to add:

Where can I get an iPad right now? Every store I go to seems to be sold out, especially of the higher GB and cellular models. Verizon won't have any until the 20th, and I can't even find any on Amazon available right now. Would love to order one via Amazon Prime to avoid sales tax and get it the next day!

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Where can I get an iPad right now? Every store I go to seems to be sold out, especially of the higher GB and cellular models. Verizon won't have any until the 20th, and I can't even find any on Amazon available right now. Would love to order one via Amazon Prime to avoid sales tax and get it the next day!

No idea of your location, but I just checked Amazon and there's a good supply, both WiFi and cellular.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
i ordered the retina mini with t mobile on apple's site. T mobile gives u free 200 mb data each month for tablets so might as well take advantage of that. they have it in stock

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
In my opinion, with the size reduction in the Air (not to mention the minor difference in price) between the rMini, you aren't really compromising much in terms of portability with the Air. If you carry any sort of laptop bag, backpack, briefcase, or messenger bag with you on a regular basis, then the Air is a no-brainer. You probably won't even notice it in the bag. Just my two-cents!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.