Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I cant help but notice, each time I was in a Best Buy or larger electronic retailer in the month of December (even today I was in there), that the Microsoft computing stations have been just packed, flooded with people. I would glance over at the Apple section right next to it less than 5 ft away and there were people, just not as nearly as many. maybe 5 or 6 tops.

Ive never seen such high interest and demand for Microsoft ever since stores here have set up Microsoft sections aggresively pushing Windows 8.1. If you havent seen one yet, its pretty much the same thing as the Apple one, have reps in their branded tshirts walking around and endless amounts of gadgets from different brands.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Perhaps Microsoft is doing something right. Their Surface Pro tablets are great as are some of the newer Windows machines. If I were in the market I would have a hard time deciding between a high end windows machine and a MBP.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I don't really like windows 8 or windows in general which is why I have a mac mini, I do feel windows computers are better value for money though. If I wasn't so lazy I would build a hackintosh.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Windows 8 is very colourful and comes in lots of form factors! That will attract average consumers (these are not the early adopter types who were initially critical of W8 on technical/UI grounds)

But I also feel low cost computing is not horrible anymore. 7 or 8 years ago, Windows XP and Vista were very buggy on laptops (which is why I switched to Macbooks around that time), but Windows 7 and 8, and I suppose Chromebooks too, are very stable. Don't know whether that influences average consumers on a macro level, but it will influence some.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Umm, why wouldn't people look for cheaper alternatives? Personally, all I do on my personal laptop is surf, watch movies /videos, store my photos and use Word/Excel every one in a while . I rarely carry it out anywhere- my GS4 is my mobile device . My laptop has its dedicated space and hardy ever budges from there. If a Windows computer does what I need it to at a lower price that Apple, I'd be more than happy to buy it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Are people now looking to cheaper alternatives?

People goto stores like that to buy PC's not Macs and other Apple products.

Walk by an Apple store anytime and it's generally packed. Usually so much so I hate going in them.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think the MSFT Surface is pretty slick. I'm not alone either.

Windows 8.1 is quite nice as well.

I visit the Microsoft kiosk wherever I go to Best Buy...am I buying though? Not at this time.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
It's always been like that.

However, step into your local Apple store on a Friday/Sat/Sun. It's a mad-house.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I'm definitely one of those who looks for cheaper alternatives. I really like my iPhone, but $650 or even $550 for an unlocked handset is not a good value compared to something like the Nexus 5 at $350 unlocked.

I'd pay a 33% premium for an iOS device, but 66-80% premium is really pushing things.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think cheaper is all there is to the story, although it certainly helps. After making so many monumental mistakes last year MS is making some decent decisions. The bang for the buck you get from a tablet like the Dell Venue 8 Pro is pretty awesome, and that's nothing, wait until you see the tablets coming out at CES next week. For example rumor has an Asus 8" with a wacom digitizer being released for $299, that's just insanity to ever imagine having a full windows computer in a 8" tablet with a wacom digitizer. Some other rumored goodies are dual boot Windows/Android tablets for example. CES is going to be insane this year IMO, not because Apple shaved off .0001 mm off it's bezel but kept the same OS, but because of other companies who are innovating.

I think MS will reach that hump where developers see profit and start to program more apps for it this year, then it will really get interesting. With their throw money at everything approach they should be the last ones to be underestimated IMO.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
People goto stores like that to buy PC's not Macs and other Apple products.

Walk by an Apple store anytime and it's generally packed. Usually so much so I hate going in them.

Some are, some aren't. I travel up and down the California coast on weekdays and weekends and I have seen the Apple stores in Stanford/Palo Alto/San Luis Obispo with what I would consider an average amount of customers (never packed. This includes the store at 1 Infinite Loop!) Then there are others down near LA that remain packed 24/7 (the Apple store in the mall in San Jose for example). Just a matter of location. The ones that are always packed, I hate going to as well. PIA just to look around.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
It's people lining up to return their crappy apple gear! Ok that's a joke guys. :)

On a more serious note - I got two Moto G's for my kids at Christmas. I didn't even consider an Apple device because of the cost. No way I'm paying a couple of hundred euros or more for a phone that they can easily drop or lose in a heartbeat (they are kids after all). The Moto G's cost me £99 each and no contract... and they are very very good phones.

But here's the problem for Apple. These kids will now use Android for the next year or two, then it will come time to upgrade and chances are their next phone will be an Android (because it's what they are used to) and so on. Apple probably won't be on their list for a long time if ever.

This is the danger for Apple and any high priced producer. You may get shut out of the market for a long time.

It's always been like that.

However, step into your local Apple store on a Friday/Sat/Sun. It's a mad-house.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Best buy around me has just one island dedicated to Apple stuff. The other islands(about 12 or so) are Windows PCs. MS tablets only have one island, while Android tablets have about 3 islands. I think it's just based on how many models are available. There are more PC and Android models available than anything else.

I usually go to the Apple store on 5ave in NYC which is probably the busiest Apple store anywhere. Half of the crowd is waiting for a genius and the other half is mostly tourist spending money.

If I was shopping for a new laptop or tablet ....... Walking into a Bestbuy doesn't put me in the mood to spend close to or over a thousand. But walking into an Apple store I'm more eager to throw a thousand or so easily.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm sticking with high end phones but these cheaper alternatives are perfect for my parents. They actually cost less then the dumb phones they were using.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
People are starting to wise up and seek phones off-contract in the States. You don't need to pay $500 or more off-contract for a great smartphone.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I think the MSFT Surface is pretty slick. I'm not alone either.

Windows 8.1 is quite nice as well.

I visit the Microsoft kiosk wherever I go to Best Buy...am I buying though? Not at this time.

I agree completely.

By the nature of my work I use both OS X and Windows (7 & 8.1). While my personal preference is OS X, and has been for decades, Windows is far better than many make it out to be on any Mac forum. It's human nature.

I've spent some time with the current surface, it's a very capable tablet. Given a fair evaluation and it comes up looking quite good. Nothing is perfect, especially when reviewed by those unfamiliar with the OS. They will easily overlook or be unaware of some features. Being fashionable to bash Microsoft doesn't help either. Oh well you know how that goes. :)

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
People are starting to wise up and seek phones off-contract in the States. You don't need to pay $500 or more off-contract for a great smartphone.

The only carrier it makes sense to buy phones off contract for is T-Mobile. Otherwise you pay more for the same level of service.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The only carrier it makes sense to buy phones off contract for is T-Mobile. Otherwise you pay more for the same level of service.

No longer at AT&T.

I know some people who purchased iPhone's off-contract so they could travel abroad with a local SIM. A cheaper off-contract phone eliminates such a premium.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
I usually go to the Apple store on 5ave in NYC which is probably the busiest Apple store anywhere. Half of the crowd is waiting for a genius and the other half is mostly tourist spending money.

The 5th Ave store is 99% filled with tourists checking their facebooks. Whenever I went there to actually take a look at some product I wanted to buy I had to wait 30 minutes to an hour (oftentimes literally nagging the "bots") to being able to put my hands on one.

Other stores in NYC are better in this regard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.