Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I am thinking of getting the Smart Cover. I don't plan on using it as a stand, just want something that adds minimal weight and bulk for use around the house.

I understand that it uses a magnet on the side/edge to attach to the ipad. How well/strongly does it attach, or does it come off easily when you don't want it to?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
It's really strong and you can hang it from the cover without the bond breaking.

However, every now and then, it does come off due to awkward angles/pressure--particularly when you are using it as the triangle stand and you push on it in the wrong way.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I've not had any of my covers come off without really pulling them off. The magnets to the iPad are very strong.

Last edited:

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Thank you all for your responses. Looks like now all that is left to decide is what color to get.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I am thinking of getting the Smart Cover. I don't plan on using it as a stand, just want something that adds minimal weight and bulk for use around the house.

I understand that it uses a magnet on the side/edge to attach to the ipad. How well/strongly does it attach, or does it come off easily when you don't want it to?

They work good, thats all i use at home and a sleeve when out.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013

LOL. I ended up going to BestBuy tonight and bought the red cover. I am very happy with it, it's everything I was hoping it would be. I originally bought a Moko case for it two months ago on Amazon on sale for $5. It's actually a great case for when I take it out of the house for protecting the ipad Air but at home I just felt when I didn't need all that protection that it was making the Air very heavy and bulky, thus I wasn't getting the size/weight benefits of owning the Air.

I really like this Smart Cover a lot and it should be great for using it around the house.

I will say though that at BestBuy tonight I got to hold the new retina Mini for the first time and I loved it. My wife would kill me if I bought it since I already own the Air but I would love to have one.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
So I have taken the Smart Cover off and put it back on a couple of times. Without any effort on my part when I am putting it back on, how does it attach while lined up perfectly on the ipad every time?

It centers the cover perfectly on the ipad, how is this happening? Is there something inside the ipad that allows the cover to position itself perfectly?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.