Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:27 AM   #1
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Personal Drones: The new frontier

I admit that I was surprised by the price of this device, a personal drone: $1200. These devices weigh quite a bit: 3 pounds, presumably a lot of it being battery. I wonder how much damage it would do if it dropped on your head and you didn't see it coming.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/02/te...me&ref=general
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:35 AM   #2
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

This would get me in so much trouble. I still want one.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:54 AM   #3
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

http://store.jdrones.com/Assembled_j.../arfacsmha.htm

Doesn't come with a camera but will lift a lot more and has more options and doesn't cost as much.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 01:59 AM   #4
zin
macrumors 6502

Do personal drones have the right to keep and bear arms?

"I'm not criminally liable. My drone is the one that shot." Calling it.
zin is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:10 PM   #5
VulchR
macrumors 68000

All very funny until one of these things is used to carry a terrorist payload. There needs to be careful consideration about the uses of this technology, and we need to act before these machines can become autonomous WMD. I worry that the current US policy of using drones to kill suspect terrorists is going to cause a backlash of fighting fire with fire....
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:12 PM   #6
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

What would one do with a personal drone?

It looks like a product in need of a purpose.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I had plenty of remote helicopters and gliders when I was a kid and no one seemed to care.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:18 PM   #8
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

scouting hunting areas w/o disturbing the habitat, I would LOVE to have this.
jkcerda is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 01:34 PM   #9
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:

As a hobby? They are a blast and easy to fly. It's only $500 or so without the camera.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 01:41 PM   #10
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
As a hobby? They are a blast and easy to fly. It's only $500 or so without the camera.
Well I get the hobby part. But by calling it a "personal" drone the implication to me is that there's some wider use to it.

For instance, if you could attach a trimmer to it, I wouldn't need the orchard ladder to reach the top of my hedges.

But then it would be a trade off between the expense vs. just getting my butt up the ladder.

Though I'm not getting any younger.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 01:49 PM   #11
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well I get the hobby part. But by calling it a "personal" drone the implication to me is that there's some wider use to it.

For instance, if you could attach a trimmer to it, I wouldn't need the orchard ladder to reach the top of my hedges.

But then it would be a trade off between the expense vs. just getting my butt up the ladder.

Though I'm not getting any younger.
No, I don't think it can do that anytime soon. But they take some great videos.

http://www.dji.com/showcase/
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 06:57 PM   #12
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
No, I don't think it can do that anytime soon. But they take some great videos.

http://www.dji.com/showcase/
I have mixed feelings. The photography side of me wants one, but, the privacy, safety and security side of me is concerned.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:19 PM   #13
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I have mixed feelings. The photography side of me wants one, but, the privacy, safety and security side of me is concerned.
When have they ever allowed a toy to be sold that was unsafe, except for one time with lawn darts?

Thumb resize.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:24 PM   #14
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
When have they ever allowed a toy to be sold that was unsafe, except for one time with lawn darts?
They had to ban them.

They were facing a shortage of drooling idiots.

Every sperm is sacred.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:42 PM   #15
steve knight
macrumors 65816

actually that is not a drone it is a rc quadcoptor. it has to be manually flown. it has a gps to bring it back or keep it stable but it does not fly on it's own. that still costs far more money. You see a lot of filming done with them in movies now. far cheaper then a helicopter.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:14 PM   #16
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I had plenty of remote helicopters and gliders when I was a kid and no one seemed to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
The addition of a camera and the nomenclature—'drone'— really changes public perception doesn't it?

I just worked with a film-crew that used a 'drone' and it's fantastic to see how you can generate crane shots and fly-overs.

Noisy as all get-out, however, and I was surprised how much rotor wash there was from the one we used.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:16 PM   #17
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
The addition of a camera and the nomenclature—'drone'— really changes public perception doesn't it?

I just worked with a film-crew that used a 'drone' and it's fantastic to see how you can generate crane shots and fly-overs.

Noisy as all get-out, however, and I was surprised how much rotor wash there was from the one we used.
Yes I was going to mention the noise. hard to be stealthy with one.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:39 PM   #18
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
scouting hunting areas w/o disturbing the habitat, I would LOVE to have this.
I have a problem with this and trip cameras and GPS hunting apps, etc. there are plenty of deer out there and only the poorest hunter will come home empty handed. This reeks of the whole "everyone must be a winner" syndrome.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:54 PM   #19
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
They had to ban them.

They were facing a shortage of drooling idiots.

Every sperm is sacred.
It looks like a kids toy. I don't really trust kids to take something like that seriously, especially when it's supposed to be part of a game. There is the other problem that the person harmed may not even be the one playing such a game. It occurs to me that if they were weighted the actual force per square inch on the way down could be quite high given the small diameter of the pin. I do however like the monty python reference.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:58 PM   #20
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
I have a problem with this and trip cameras and GPS hunting apps, etc. there are plenty of deer out there and only the poorest hunter will come home empty handed. This reeks of the whole "everyone must be a winner" syndrome.
Never used a camera, gps hunting map etc, ate tag soup for 3 years straight. I spot & stalk with a bow, that said as long as things are LEGAL, to each his own I am blessed to be busy at work, I have NOT hunted in over 4 years, a drone would come in handy to find new spots
jkcerda is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:59 PM   #21
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Two words: Nudist beach
Old Jan 4, 2014, 01:15 PM   #22
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Two words: Nudist beach
Blag!!!
Have you even been to a nudest beach!?!?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
Yes I was going to mention the noise. hard to be stealthy with one.
Depends on the drone, some are almost silent.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 01:20 PM   #23
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
Blag!!!
Have you even been to a nudest beach!?!?[COLOR="#808080"]
I have but only in Europe, I guess it could be very different here...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:01 AM   #24
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

At present the main difference between the sort of drone an affluent (if not wealthy) individual can buy, and the sort of thing deployed by Governments is the combination of stealth and ability to "loiter."

This "consumer' level drone is going to make a heck of a lot of noise. And because it has an effective ceiling of no more than a couple hundred feet, its not going to be able to pass unnoticed by those it is surveilling. And it also has limited operating time - ten to fifteen minutes at most.

If a neighbor's drone flies over your favorite skinny-dipping location, it might very well be annoying. But its not going to pass un-noticed. And the interruption is only going to last a few minutes before you can get back to your frolicking un-observed.

Absent a radical advancement in fuel cell or battery technology - I don't see this situation changing anytime soon. If you want a drone that can "loiter" unseen at five or ten thousand feet above your target; and carry both big enough optics to resolve small objects on the ground, as well as enough fuel to do the job for several hours at a spell, then you are talking about an airframe the size of a small car. Not something that you can buy for a couple of thousand dollars out of a catalog.

Last edited by vrDrew; Jan 5, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
vrDrew is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 05:41 AM   #25
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
At present the main difference between the sort of drone an affluent (if not wealthy) individual can buy, and the sort of thing deployed by Governments is the combination of stealth and ability to "loiter."
Agreed at this point it is only about cost and training.

Quote:
This of "consumer' level drone is going to make a heck of a lot of noise. And because it has an effective ceiling of no more than a couple hundred feet, its not going to be able to pass unnoticed by those it is surveilling. And it also has limited operating time - ten to fifteen minutes at most.
As far as noise it really depends on the type some are almost silent. The flight ceiling is only really limited by the law, flight time and weather. At 2000 feet you are not really going to hear a lot. As far as flight time they are well over fifteen minutes for nitro/gas drones.

Quote:
If a neighbor's drone flies over your favorite skinny-dipping location, it might very well be annoying. But its not going to pass un-noticed. And the interruption is only going to last a few minutes before you can get back to your frolicking un-observed.
Again depending on type of drone there is a good chance you would not see it.

Quote:
Absent a radical advancement in fuel cell or battery technology - I don't see this situation changing anytime soon. If you want a drone that can "loiter" unseen at five or ten thousand feet above your target; and carry both big enough optics to resolve small objects on the ground, as well as enough fuel to do the job for several hours at a spell, then you are talking about an airframe the size of a small car. Not something that you can buy for a couple of thousand dollars out of a catalog.
You mean like this?

or this one??

Granted these are not drones as far as I know but all you need to turn one into a drone is an off the shelf Autopilot and some type of IMU and sensors.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues