Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

I don't think this will end well for the NFL and the Vikings.

Quote:
Hello. My name is Chris Kluwe, and for eight years I was the punter for the Minnesota Vikings. In May 2013, the Vikings released me from the team. At the time, quite a few people asked me if I thought it was because of my recent activism for same-sex marriage rights, and I was very careful in how I answered the question. My answer, verbatim, was always, "I honestly don't know, because I'm not in those meetings with the coaches and administrative people."

This is a true answer. I honestly don't know if my activism was the reason I got fired.

However, I'm pretty confident it was.
Quote:
Some will ask why I waited so long to tell this story. It's a fair question, and I have two answers. The first is that I still have friends on the Vikings, and opening up something like this during the season would not help them focus on their jobs. By doing it now, I hope they don't have to answer questions about an issue that concerns only four people, and I hope the issue will have died down before next season starts.

The second is that I wanted to prove I still had the physical ability to compete in the NFL. I can still hit the ball 45 yards outside the numbers with good hangtime, and at the tryouts I've had this year I've gotten praise from the scouts and personnel people on hand, but for whatever reason I cannot find a job. (Side note: My numbers from last year would put me right in the middle of the pack for this year, and I've traditionally been in the middle to top third of punters each year).

However, it's clear to me that no matter how much I want to prove I can play, I will no longer punt in the NFL, especially now that I've written this account. Whether it's my age, my minimum veteran salary, my habit of speaking my mind, or (most likely) a combination of all three, my time as a football player is done. Punters are always replaceable, at least in the minds of those in charge, and I realize that in advocating noisily for social change I only made it easier for them to justify not having me around. So it goes.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-pla...-an-1493208214
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Pretty bad...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:53 AM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Punters are always replaceable, at least in the minds of those in charge, and I realize that in advocating noisily for social change I only made it easier for them to justify not having me around. So it goes.
That pretty much sums it up.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:59 AM   #4
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

==============================

This space reserved for the 'I stand with Phil' crowd who I'm sure will be along any minute now to defend Kluwe's right of free speech in his workplace and to not suffer retribution for his beliefs.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 08:55 AM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Has anyone come out and supported Kluwe's version of events? The current punter has spoken out in defense of the coach, but I haven't heard anyone verify Kluwe's story.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Has anyone come out and supported Kluwe's version of events? The current punter has spoken out in defense of the coach, but I haven't heard anyone verify Kluwe's story.
Do you have a source for that? I couldn't find anything .
Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:11 AM   #7
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It might be too early for that.

About the only corroboration I could see in this would be for another special teams player to say, "Yeah. Coach did said we should nuke the gays." But just as Kluwe is still hoping he could be on a team, these players who could back up that account are likewise either on a team or hoping to be on a team. It's not an atmosphere that's conducive to calling out one's coach.

Given more time, perhaps you'll see people more willing to step forward.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
If that's what he believes, should he need independent verification to be taken seriously?
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:14 AM   #9
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
If that's what he believes, should he need independent verification to be taken seriously?
If you're going to go out and call someone (or a whole organization for that matter) a bigot, then you should probably have something to back that up other than a gut feeling.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:20 AM   #10
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
If you're going to go out and call someone (or a whole organization for that matter) a bigot, then you should probably have something to back that up other than a gut feeling.
agreed, maybe the guy simply sucked.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timoth...b_4536193.html

Quote:
These are all disappointing allegations to read, and the Vikings organization are taking them seriously, as they should. There is no need for discrimination, intimidation, or retaliation in any job setting. However, what Kluwe fails to mention in his latest essay is that he was just as likely cut because of poor play and more affordable options. The Vikings paid him over a million dollars per year, but have since gone into a rebuilding phase for their team, the worst in its division. Jeff Locke, the punter who replaced Kluwe, is eight years younger and his contract is $500,000 less. That, and Locke is, well, better than Kluwe.

When Minnesota cut Kluwe he was picked up by the Oakland Raiders on May 15, 2013, and was released four months later in favor of Marquette King, a player seven years younger, and much more affordable. Oh, and Oakland is a franchise rebuilding too, just like Minnesota. Kluwe's activism and writing is admirable, and his allegations of what happened in Minnesota should be taken seriously, but I would also like to know why the outspoken writing-punter thinks Oakland cut him. Perhaps the Bay Area just isn't ready for a gay rights and Sparkleponies.

jkcerda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:21 AM   #11
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

This space reserved for the 'I stand with Phil' crowd who I'm sure will be along any minute now to defend Kluwe's right of free speech in his workplace and to not suffer retribution for his beliefs.

You'll be waiting forever. LOL
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:21 AM   #12
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
He claimed the coach said, "We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows."

That's more than just a feeling.

A feeling would be, I feel as if the coach would like to round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:24 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Do you have a source for that? I couldn't find anything .
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...238524261.html

Quote:
Agreed. Kluwe might absolutely be correct, but I think some corroboration of his story is in order before we ruin a man's career and trash an organization.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
He claimed the coach said, "We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows."
And the coach has denied it. Right now it is basically a he said/he said situation.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:32 AM   #14
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...238524261.html

Agreed. Kluwe might absolutely be correct, but I think some corroboration of his story is in order before we ruin a man's career and trash an organization.

----------

And the coach has denied it. Right now it is basically a he said/he said situation.
link in post 10

seems he got canned TWICE for someone younger & with a cheaper salary.
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:33 AM   #15
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Could be retaliation for being cut.

Who really knows? Not us.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:33 AM   #16
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

That's more than just a feeling.
You said the exact same thing right here in this forum last week.

See how that works?
SLC Flyfishing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:36 AM   #17
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Of course he did. And of course it is.

Either you believe the guy based on his incredibly detailed chain of events, or you don't.

It's fascinating how some of you guys choose to give some the benefit of the doubt and not others....
Moyank24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:38 AM   #18
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Of course he did. And of course it is.

Either you believe the guy based on his incredibly detailed chain of events, or you don't.

It's fascinating how some of you guys choose to give some the benefit of the doubt and not others....
plausible explanation with a link on post 10. not everyone who claims discrimination is an actual victim.
jkcerda is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:40 AM   #19
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
plausible explanation with a link on post 10. not everyone who claims discrimination is an actual victim.
Agreed.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:40 AM   #20
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
There are many plausible explanations. One of which is that he was actually a victim of discrimination. Or at the very least the victim of a hostile work environment because of his beliefs.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:43 AM   #21
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
And I'll agree to that.

But it still makes it more than a feeling.

He's alleging that a statement was made.

----------

Quote:
seems he got canned TWICE for someone younger & with a cheaper salary.
That often happens in professional football.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Flyfishing View Post
You said the exact same thing right here in this forum last week.

See how that works?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your point.

Could you please elaborate?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:45 AM   #22
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
There are many plausible explanations. One of which is that he was actually a victim of discrimination. Or at the very least the victim of a hostile work environment because of his beliefs.
cut twice by 2 different teams for younger & more affordable athletes.
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:47 AM   #23
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
You don't say...in recent history...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/waitress-an...ry?id=21140626

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:48 AM   #24
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes. Again, that happens routinely in football.

Even good players are cut for younger and less costly players due to the salary cap imposed on all teams.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:48 AM   #25
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Rather than continue to repeat yourself, why not read the whole article? He clearly states that he may have been cut due to his veteran minimum salary.

For those questioning him, why would he make this up? He knows and wrote that it effectively ends his NFL career.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues