Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Background: when iOS 7 is logged into iTunes, it apparently tries to cache the user's full list of app purchases. For people like me with serious app hoarding issues, this leads to two problems: the infamous "Other" storage rapidly balloons out, and eventually the App Store becomes completely unresponsive. So far, the only fix for this seems to be a restore. (Credit to Mythtery at Apple Discussions for figuring all of this out.)

I just jailbroke my iPad Mini 2 and I want to celebrate by finding a way to fix this issue that doesn't involve constantly logging out of iTunes, and periodically restoring from backups. I've thought of a couple of ways to do this, but let's start with this.

Is there a way to monitor file activity on iOS? I've had similar questions for my Mac in the past, which led me to discover fs_usage, and a whole bunch of related things. The iOS shell doesn't seem to have that though, and I couldn't find it in Cydia.

I did find this MacRumors thread, explaining how to export an inventory of every file on the iOS device, sorted by size. So I guess I could just use this technique to take a "snapshot", log in to the App Store, wait for "Other" to fatten up a bit, take another snapshot, and see what changed. But I feel like there's probably a better way to do this, so I thought I'd begin by asking here.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.