Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Corning has announced a new shaped Gorilla Glass product to offer glass solutions for curved devices like smart watches. Corning is one of Apple's main suppliers for the glass in the iPhone and iPad, and, with Apple rumored to have a smart watch production the works, Corning's new product would make for a logical source component for the new device.

curved.jpg
Product design continues to drive the consumer electronics industry. More than half of the top 10 smartphone manufacturers already market devices that incorporate cover glass with subtle curves, and the demand for even more-dramatic form factors is increasing. Corning's 3D-forming technology meets this demand and expands the design possibilities for industrial designers.

The relationship with GTOC allows Corning to provide a "one-roof" solution. "We can now take Gorilla Glass all the way from flat sheet to a finished 3D-shaped product in Asia, expediting turnaround times and minimizing logistical complexity," said James R. Steiner, senior vice president and general manager, Corning Specialty Materials. "That's a win for Corning and our customers."
Apple has used curved glass in some of its products in the past, most notably in a previous generation iPod nano. There have been a number of rumors about Apple developing curved glass iPhones, most recently in November when Bloomberg said Apple would release 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones next fall with slightly curved screens.

Article Link: Corning Announces New '3D' Shaped Gorilla Glass

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
What would be the advantage of it? Why is it such a big deal - am I missing something crucial here?
Example: if i have curved glass that cover a display that is not curved (as displays are not curved yet, correct?) then all I am creating is bigger gap between the display and the curved glass in the middle part of the screen.

Or what else am not seeing here?

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Am I the only one who does NOT want a curved phone?

Maybe because you only see the ugly one.. like Samsung Galaxy Round.. that phone is a joke.

Let's see how Apple make a curve phone.. probably it will change your mind.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Sounds like Corning is setting up to compete more easily with the Japanese glass called Dragontrail from Asahi that came out in 2011.

I read somewhere that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and other curved glass Android devices used Dragontrail instead of Gorilla Glass, because the latter couldn't be molded into different shapes as easily.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
What would be the advantage of it? Why is it such a big deal - am I missing something crucial here?
Example: if i have curved glass that cover a display that is not curved (as displays are not curved yet, correct?) then all I am creating is bigger gap between the display and the curved glass in the middle part of the screen.

Or what else am not seeing here?

Samsung and LG already have phones with both curved glass and screens. Moreover LG has a phone that can bend its curved display, albeit slightly.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Wow...now THERE'S a picture I'll bet the Great and Powerful Oz would love to have disappear. :D

Nah, I bet a lot of guys would like to have looked like that then, and then look how he is now. You know, instead of just having Craig's hair and nothing else going for them. :p

I don't like the idea of 3D glass just because it's more likely that the edges will get damaged in your pockets and overtime whatever cracks will just get bigger overtime, leading to damage to continue up to the user space.

And you couldn't cover them with a case because it would just put pressure on the glass, especially if you accidentally dropped it as one tiny hit to glass and it shatters. Dropping it on its back would be as damaging as dropping it on its face.

At least that's my thinking.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Really don't see why they need a curved screen. If I want a larger screen I'm more than happy to use it with two hands, otherwise I would stick with the current size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.