Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:14 PM   #1
G51989
In Time-Out

Solar power in Minnesota/America/Network News

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...idovergas.html

Just kind of a random topic, this made huge news in the state, And several online news agency's covered it, as did Al Jazeera America.

Has it been implemented yet? No, but the studies seem to show that Solar would be the way to go as an alternative power source over natural gas.

But I found it strange that not a single American news outlet covered this. In fact, you never see them covering any major development in alternative energy.

Could it be backlash from Americans fossil fuel cartel they are worried about?

I often wonder if the reason most alternative energy news in America are not covered by major networks in America, is because of all the sway the cartel has?
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:39 PM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

I'm all for maximizing solar energy. But I'm surprised that this could be decided by one judge.

From your source ...

Quote:
In an unprecedented decision, a Minnesota judge this week held that utility supplier Xcel Energy should invest in the solar energy developer Geronimo Energy rather than in natural gas generators because that choice is the better economical and environmental deal for the state.

Judge Eric Lipman's ruling must be approved by the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, which initially ordered the proceeding to force energy companies to compete on price. The commission is expected to issue its final ruling in March.
That looks like some pretty arcane governing going on over there.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:01 PM   #3
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
.... That looks like some pretty arcane governing going on over there.
The way I understand this, the state Public Utilities Commission has to sign off on this before it would go into effect.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:02 PM   #4
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
I'm all for maximizing solar energy. But I'm surprised that this could be decided by one judge.

From your source ...

That looks like some pretty arcane governing going on over there.

Quote:
Judge Eric Lipman's ruling must be approved by the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, which initially ordered the proceeding to force energy companies to compete on price. The commission is expected to issue its final ruling in March.
The judge makes the first ruling, and it still must be approved by the MPUC as it seems, so its not like one guy is saying it has to be built.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:06 PM   #5
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
The judge makes the first ruling, and it still must be approved by the MPUC as it seems, so its not like one guy is saying it has to be built.
What does this one sentence mean ...?

Quote:
Judge Eric Lipman's ruling must be approved by the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, which initially ordered the proceeding to force energy companies to compete on price.
What were the energy companies doing to lead the MPUC to bring this before a judge?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:10 PM   #6
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What does this one sentence mean ...?

What were the energy companies doing to lead the MPUC to bring this before a judge?
You can read more details here: Geronimo solar farm project goes to PUC by early 2014
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:14 PM   #7
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
I thought it was a conversation.

I was hoping you could just tell me.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:22 PM   #8
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I thought it was a conversation.

I was hoping you could just tell me.

There comes a time when you have to do your homework, if you want answers.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:26 PM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
There comes a time when you have to do your homework, if you want answers.
Sorry.

But your unwillingness to discuss the issue isn't inspiring me to put in the effort.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:31 PM   #10
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Sorry.

But your unwillingness to discuss the issue isn't inspiring me to put in the effort.
There was a time when grandpa read the paper to the family at the diner table and then explained what the news really meant to the children.

That was then and this is now.

Thanks to the amazing power of the 'Net, you can link, read it, and you won't need a grandpa to explain things to you.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues