Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FiveEcco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
Hi everyone,

now that my nMP will arrive in the next weeks i am a bit helpless with the decision what displays i could use. At the moment i use two 30" Cinema Displays, but their time has come and they need to be replaced.

Now after Apple didn't released new cinema displays (and i will not buy the old ones for 999 EUR) my only idea was to go to Dell. After some internet investigation I found the U2713H.

What do you think? Is this a good solution? Or do you have another good ideas?

Thank you for your help!

five

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
I bet a lot of people are struggling with the monitor issue. I'm going to stick with my old 26" NECs until I see what the future brings. Like you, I won't pay $1000 for outdated TB monitors , at least not right now.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
If you still own two displays, be happy and stick to them a few more months until tb displays get a bump.

My situation is more complicated, I have a 27"iMac and a 24"Cinema Display.
Well what's going to replace my iMac properly?

I'm considering an outdated TB display and selling it once the update comes.
Or hope that dell announces it's 28" 4k display at CES next week? But apple doesn't support proper resolution scaling/interpolation like on the rmbp at the moment.(which is a hughe bummer richt now for me).

Or just get some random, cheapest 27" display and wait for apple to come out with a new laminated 28" 4k display using the dell panel and then allowing for resolution interpolation in osx? I'm really sitting between all chairs right now.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I'd wait, you'll survive. I have two 27" TB displays, when they come out with a 4k 27" I'll put that front and center, flanked by the two older ones.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I'm sticking with my 30" ACD until I see more options in the 4K marketplace. Hopefully CES will give some hints. Bear in mind that you'll need a couple of those $99 dual link DVI adapters to run those 30" displays, so it's not exactly a cost-free decision to stick with the old displays. It's just unfortunate that there's not a clear choice for moving on yet.

Also, there's an existing thread on the subject.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I'm sticking with my 30" ACD until I see more options in the 4K marketplace. Hopefully CES will give some hints. Bear in mind that you'll need a couple of those $99 dual link DVI adapters to run those 30" displays, so it's not exactly a cost-free decision to stick with the old displays. It's just unfortunate that there's not a clear choice for moving on yet.

Also, there's an existing thread on the subject.

There are cheaper alternatives: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Oh, do you mean they won't work? Why?

Anandtech wrote:

"The same isn’t true, unfortunately, for other 4K displays on the market. Dell sent along its UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD display (UP2414Q) for this review, and unfortunately that appears to be a display that’s not supported by the Mac Pro/OS X at this point. You can get it working in SST mode at 3840 x 2160 30Hz, but forcing MST results in a 1920 x 2160 display spread across both tiles with a mess of garbled colors."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.