Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the game be played?

• Yes.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • No Opinion / Don't Know

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I don't believe they should be. From the NFL Rule Book ...

Emergencies -- Policy

The National Football League requires all League personnel, including game officials, League office employees, players, coaches, and other club employees to use best effort to see that each game -- preseason, regular season, and postseason -- is played to its conclusion. The League recognizes, however, that emergencies may arise that make a game’s completion impossible or inadvisable. Such circumstances may include, but are not limited to, severely inclement weather, natural or manmade disaster, power failure, and spectator interference. Games should be suspended, cancelled, postponed, or terminated when circumstances exist such that comencement or continuation of play would pose a threat to the safety of participants or spectators.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/emergencies

The severe cold weather that is predicted in Green Bay is a threat to the health and safety of those working in the stadium, the fans and the players.

IMO, the game should be postponed and/or moved to another location.

The NFL is recklessly exposing people to those severe conditions and the game will be besmirched if the health of people, the performance of the players and the outcome of the game if affected by the cold.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Hopefully I'm at the Packer game in Lambeau tomorrow. Bring on the cold!!

Don't get lost in machismo.

Even if you don't consider your own health, try to consider the health of others.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I don't understand why all northern stadiums aren't domed yet. Look at the Louisiana Superdome... It's in the south and it is domed so all games can be played out regardless of snow.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't understand why all northern stadiums aren't domed yet. Look at the Louisiana Superdome... It's in the south and it is domed so all games can be played out regardless of snow.

Perfect playing conditions are no fun! A Superbowl in Green Bay would be unreal.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010

I agree. It should be a requirement, especially for cities that historically can suffer from these types of extremes.

But it still doesn't really solve the problem when the weather is as cold as what is being predicted for Sunday. People are still going to venture out to attend the game. Parking lot attendants, security and other support personnel will still be exposed outside the stadium.

I hope for the best. The league—that is too stubborn to postpone or move the game—does not need to compound its mistake with people being harmed by the cold.

This isn't about sports at this point. It's a health and safety issue.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
-50 windchill for Lambeau Field..

Windchill Warning in effect.

"THE CORE OF THE COLD AIR WILL BE ACROSS THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. WIND CHILL INDICES AS LOW AS 50 BELOW TO 55 BELOW ZERO ARE EXPECTED AT TIMES DURING THIS PERIOD. WIND CHILLS THIS LOW INDICATE THAT FROSTBITE TO EXPOSED SKIN CAN OCCUR IN UNDER 10 MINUTES."

http://www.weather.com/weather/aler...ificance=W&areaid=WIZ039&office=KGRB&etn=0001

Bundle up kids..

VitoC

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
Don't get lost in machismo.

Even if you don't consider your own health, try to consider the health of others.

Don't get lost in your self-righteousness. I'm sure people far more qualified than yourself can decide if the games are safe to play or not. You don't know the amount of heating equipment they have at Lambeau at the field level. And they didn't have that tech during the Ice Bowl in the 60's, and everyone survived.

GO PACK GO!!!

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
-50 windchill for Lambeau Field..

Windchill Warning in effect.

"THE CORE OF THE COLD AIR WILL BE ACROSS THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. WIND CHILL INDICES AS LOW AS 50 BELOW TO 55 BELOW ZERO ARE EXPECTED AT TIMES DURING THIS PERIOD. WIND CHILLS THIS LOW INDICATE THAT FROSTBITE TO EXPOSED SKIN CAN OCCUR IN UNDER 10 MINUTES."

http://www.weather.com/weather/aler...ificance=W&areaid=WIZ039&office=KGRB&etn=0001

Bundle up kids..

I can't believe anyone would willingly sit outside for four hours in -50 temps to watch a football game. There's just no fun to be had.

I kind of agree with the OP…requiring workers to be out in that is pretty insane. And I'm also confused as to why a stadium in the north wouldn't be domed. There's "perfect playing conditions" and then there's just dangerous stupidity.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Some of the best games in history were played in below 0 temps. We have already taken the hits out of the game, don't take the weather out of it too.

If we make the game any duller we should just call it soccer.

Last edited:

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004

All that snow in Louisiana? Jiminy Cricket.

-t

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Some of the best games in history were played in below 0 temps. We have already taken the hits out of the game, don't take the weather out of it too.

This season a number of games were delayed because of the possibility of lightening.

Should they have just played through that as well?

Isn't that likewise taking, "the weather out of it"?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This season a number of games were delayed because of the possibility of lightening.

Should they have just played through that as well?

Isn't that likewise taking, "the weather out of it"?
Lightening is life threatening. Baseball games are delayed for that. Baseball s also delayed for rain, the NFL isn't. Snow is not life threatening. Neither is cold if you dress properly.

People in Green Bay I hope know how to dress for the cold.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'm all for it. Let the savages on the field bash each others' skulls in until they're concussed or fall to frostbite. I especially look forward to some "manly" linemen going sleeveless and then having to lose an arm.

There's only so much you can do to protect someone from their own stupidity, but revenues > people, always. So let 'em freeze.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm all for it. Let the savages on the field bash each others' skulls in until they're concussed or fall to frostbite. I especially look forward to some "manly" linemen going sleeveless and then having to lose an arm.

There's only so much you can do to protect someone from their own stupidity, but revenues > people, always. So let 'em freeze.
For S&G's lets say we dome every stadium, who will pay for that, it will cost billions.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I was at the Broncos/Ravens playoff game last January. The temp at kickoff was 13 with a windchill below 0. It was cold but enjoyable. We just dressed like we were going skiing. Lots of layers, hand warmers, blankets, etc.

I say play the game.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Let's see. San Francisco rarely gets below 40 degrees. They play in Wisconsin.

Green Bay should have the weather advantage. San Francisco loses.

The Saints. Well. We know about them..Enough said.

Bring on the frostbite. Just means Seattle has a better chance of winning it's first game.

:D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Let's see. San Francisco rarely gets below 40 degrees. They play in Wisconsin.

Green Bay should have the weather advantage. San Francisco loses.

The Saints. Well. We know about them..Enough said.

Bring on the frostbite. Just means Seattle has a better chance of winning it's first game.

:D
This is why cold weather teams don't want domes. They get the advantage. This is also why most dome teams don't win the superbowl.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It's amazing to me that you can recognize the danger of lightening yet be so blasé about the danger of extreme cold.

smh
It was 5 bellow here last night, I had a coat hat gloves on and I am still alive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.