Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
SC
I upgraded a 2nd gen iPod mini this week to 64gb. I decided to try a SD to CF adapter card that I got on Amazon from DigiGear. The adapter supports SD XC cards. I used a Transcend 64gb class 10 card. The iPod is working great. The only issue is the write speeds using a SD card are slower than using a CF card. I really don't care that it's slower, I rarely change the content on my iPod.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Thanks for the info I like to modify iPod minis since they are readily available and easily upgradeable.I usually get them for around $10 or so and put a cf card and a 1300mah battery in it,those things are tanks and I have often wondered about the sd to cf adapter so now I know. My battery last a long time,the battery meter goes to 0% in around 5 hours but sometimes I get 10+ hours after that of constant playtime.

ncc74656m

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for the info I like to modify iPod minis since they are readily available and easily upgradeable.I usually get them for around $10 or so and put a cf card and a 1300mah battery in it,those things are tanks and I have often wondered about the sd to cf adapter so now I know. My battery last a long time,the battery meter goes to 0% in around 5 hours but sometimes I get 10+ hours after that of constant playtime.

Sorry to thread necro, but I can't yet message people. Have you found any problems with this combination giving you ultra-low battery life or anything of the kind? I have one of those 1300mah batteries and a 32GB CF card, and I get like two hours tops, and it seems like there are times when the battery meter rapidly drops off. I've tried two of those batteries, and it does the same thing, so I doubt that's the problem.

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Type 1 or 2?

I upgraded a 2nd gen iPod mini this week to 64gb. I decided to try a SD to CF adapter card that I got on Amazon from DigiGear. The adapter supports SD XC cards. I used a Transcend 64gb class 10 card. The iPod is working great. The only issue is the write speeds using a SD card are slower than using a CF card. I really don't care that it's slower, I rarely change the content on my iPod.

I've been looking into this as well and I can't really find too much info on this part of it: did you use a CF type 1 or type 2 adapter? The type 2 is thicker so I want to make sure before purchasing that it will fit in a mini and I can't really find info on this.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
SC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.