Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJeremy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
San Clemente, California
So I just activated the cellular data on my iPad Air and saw that the iPad was assigned its own phone number. Do I need that number for anything?

Thanks for any help!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It's just a way that carriers bill you.

Not sure exactly what your asking. But you cannot use it for voice purposes... only data.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
So I just activated the cellular data on my iPad Air and saw that the iPad was assigned its own phone number. Do I need that number for anything?

Thanks for any help!

It also allowed for text messaging in addition to billing. My Aircard has a phone # attached which gets texts.

awair

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
It also allowed for text messaging in addition to billing. My Aircard has a phone # attached which gets texts.

Some carriers allow messaging, some may not. My carrier provides routine status updates on my data line, and as the iPad has no way of presenting these to me, I only receive them if the SIM card is in another device such as a USB modem or MiFi.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Back before T-Mobile became an official iPhone/iPad carrier. I used a data only sim with a Nexus 7/iPad Mini. To setup an online account, they sent a temporary pin to the device to verify the device. Since an iPad can't get these since they are basically text messages, I had to slip it into the Nexus 7 since they can receive those types of messages.

Of course now, setting up a T-Mobile account for a data plan does not require this.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
SMS's primary function was to deliver messages to the device from the carrier.

Carriers then got smart and decided to sell them at 10 cents a pop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.