Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:58 AM   #1
JUiCEJamie
macrumors 6502a

"Cartoon HD" app to be pulled?

I'm unsure if this app is making the rounds around the world too, but there's an app that's Number 1 in 'Free' on the App Store at the minute called, "Cartoon HD".

Anybody downloaded it? - Essentially you can watch cartoons, for free. No in-app purchases, Harry Potter movies, Disney cartoons, Anime all the sort of things you'll find on Cartoon Network etc.. but for free.

You think they've got the licensing deals? Or do you think it's crept in the App Store by mistake?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 06:19 AM   #2
nightstalkerz
macrumors regular

It might be pulled at some time if the companies find out.

I don't think it's official because it looks good and it takes up less than 10MB when installed.
nightstalkerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 02:07 AM   #3
Big Ells
macrumors 6502

We got it in the UK. I made sure I downloaded it as I doubt it will last long. It has films which have only just been released on DVD over here.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 02:53 AM   #4
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

I know a few good places for latest weekly releases but this has some great anime and cartoon series that to see complete online is very hard to do
Nevaborn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 07:00 AM   #5
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a

Taking in account this app was made in China and somehow slipped through Apple admission process I wouldn't personally be really surprised if this app contained a bit more than just a streaming framework. The app itself is so basic, you have to wonder what is inside a 10MB app which could be about 1/10 of the size if it was only streaming content.

Last edited by hwojtek; Jan 6, 2014 at 07:05 AM.
hwojtek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:55 PM   #6
kmichalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
Taking in account this app was made in China and somehow slipped through Apple admission process I wouldn't personally be really surprised if this app contained a bit more than just a streaming framework. The app itself is so basic, you have to wonder what is inside a 10MB app which could be about 1/10 of the size if it was only streaming content.
It also allows the ability to download the movies and play them back anytime without and internet connection. Just watch the entire World War Z movie doing that. Played great.
kmichalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 01:59 AM   #7
argargarg
macrumors newbie

cartoon hd

if you click on the "developer website " on the details tab on the iphone app store it opens up facebook ....this only works on the free version

weird and frightening ...ive deleted the app
argargarg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 AM   #8
kmichalec
macrumors 6502

The free version is gone. The pro version is still there if you search for "HD Cartoon PHAM". Even if you pay the $2.99, it's still worth it.

But agree, there is still some cause for concern as what "else" it could be doing. Also, where is it streaming from? Can it track you?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmichalec View Post
But agree, there is still some cause for concern as what "else" it could be doing. Also, where is it streaming from? Can it track you?
Using servers logs they can get a pretty good idea where in the world you are and an even better idea if your streaming is via WiFi.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:48 PM   #10
kmichalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Using servers logs they can get a pretty good idea where in the world you are and an even better idea if your streaming is via WiFi.
Agreed, but can they do anything "nefarious" with that data? Don't think so, but not sure...
Old Jan 7, 2014, 01:56 PM   #11
shotts56
macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter. Some nut job will be along in a second to tell you that the Chinese government (or maybe even the American one, depending on their political leanings) are desperate to know when you're on the internet and this is all part of their cunning plan.
shotts56 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 05:03 PM   #12
Nomadski
macrumors regular

Where does it save the videos when u download them? Can't find them.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:46 AM   #13
kmichalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadski View Post
Where does it save the videos when u download them? Can't find them.
It saves the video in the Download section of the app. It does NOT save the video to the iDevice Videos app. Also, if you start the download, do NOT allow the device to go to sleep or switch to another application. It will stop the download, and most of the time, will not restart.
kmichalec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 08:05 AM   #14
Chowmann
macrumors newbie

Hi does anyone know if you can use Apple TV / hdmi /av cable to watch in large screen?
Chowmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 03:37 PM   #15
RS&B0B2
macrumors newbie

Hey, yea it Airplays fine from iPhone to ATV then to big Tv.

Ta
Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:00 AM   #16
ValtermcPires
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It saves the video in the Download section of the app. It does NOT save the video to the iDevice Videos app. Also, if you start the download, do NOT allow the device to go to sleep or switch to another application. It will stop the download, and most of the time, will not restart.
This app would be even great if do that.

I have DL on this holidays and i'm liking it. I'm re-watching Digimon!

[PSNProfiles] | [Steam] | [Raptr] | [GameCenter ID: ValtermcPires]
ValtermcPires is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:34 PM   #17
Nomadski
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks for that, there was a delay for it to appear in that section after downloading. Cheers for the tips too!

I had wondered seeing as Apple had pulled the app whether the app would be able to be updated, but Ive noticed new content added since release so its all good!

Just wonder, if I copy the ipa file to my wife's laptop, and log in with my apple ID, can I copy the app to her iphone then log back in with hers? Will that have a bad effect at all with my app?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:33 PM   #18
tpr007
macrumors member

If the app still works, then where is it being streamed from?

i.e. who/where is the content stored, and how come it's still online?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:51 PM   #19
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a

One word: China.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 02:50 PM   #20
nightstalkerz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr007 View Post
If the app still works, then where is it being streamed from?

i.e. who/where is the content stored, and how come it's still online?
The app is streaming from Google video.
nightstalkerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:27 PM   #21
Cindyb1975
macrumors newbie

Hi. Is it possible (and if so, how) to play movies from the cartoon hd app on iPhone on a normal hd tv?
Thanks
Cindyb1975 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:38 AM   #22
Nomadski
macrumors regular

The normal way, mirroring via Apple TV, or using the digital AV adapter if you have an iPhone 5/5s/5c.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 09:40 PM   #23
liamdunne77
macrumors newbie

Howsit work??

Ok so please excuse my ignorance...I have the app and downloaded a movie....How do I Transfer that file off my phone and onto my mac? I know it gets put in the download section of the app, but can't for the life of me work out how to access it on any other device or even delete it from my phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamdunne77 View Post
Ok so please excuse my ignorance...I have the app and downloaded a movie....How do I Transfer that file off my phone and onto my mac? I know it gets put in the download section of the app, but can't for the life of me work out how to access it on any other device or even delete it from my phone.
Oh OK, so I lied...I can remove it easy enough...Doh!! so yeah, just the transfer part if anyone knows how (without too much fuss).
liamdunne77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps