Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Welcome to this week's photo contest thread.

In honor of my daughter's excitement about the chance for some winter weather here down south this week's theme will be wintry mix. It doesn't have to be about weather. Interpret it as you will.

Rules:
You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment or use voting button on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision).

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme).

To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Here is a pine tree accumulating snow during a storm today.

IMG_0479.JPG

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I really didn't know which one to enter for this as I have two I really like. This one won out for some reason.

9020456382_c826b1d341_b.jpg

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Its an older one I'm afraid, but there really hasn't been much winter where I am.... Just floods.

Shot on 120 roll film with a Holga GCFN

img002 by simbojono, on Flickr

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Contest is now closed.

Please be patient with me. I'm down at the bottom end of Mississippi for work and all I have is my phone. There are some great pics and I should be able to get to them tonight.

Stand by.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks to everyone who submitted a shot. I enjoyed them all. Forgive me for being brief but it's late and I'm on the iPad.

SandboxGeneral - I like the idea but the composition doesn't quite work for me. The tree is not defined enough as the subject.

MacRy - I like the tone and feel. Great capture with the trees and the fog. I think it would be pretty powerful if you could isolate just one tree in that scene.

Someoldguy - Nice symmetry and nice exposure with sun, shadow, and snow.

Jjk454ss - You took a photograph so you qualify as a photographer. Cool idea. Might work better on a sunny day with those red barns.

Oblomow - Very cool. I really like the black and red against the snow. My only wish is to see more of the train.

Jkramerbob - Like it! Nicely composed and perfectly simple.

Themumu - Very cool. Very nice on the depth of field and I like the light in the back.

Cheese&Apple - Nice composure and I like the layers in the background.

Indydenny - cool. Reminds me of of when I was in S Korea. They would play in snow and ice no problem.

Andychelt - Nice color and overall sharpness. Tree in right corner is a bit distracting.

Sim667 - I've liked a lot of your Holga shots I've seen. I like this one but it doesn't work for me as well as some others you have posted.

Team Timm - nice shot with the phone. Like the clouds.

iMac Wannabe - Very cool. Love the trees and snow. Not sure if I want to see more of the house or less.

Badrottie - like the sun and shadows. The house in the back right is a bit distracting.

Chuck Rodent - Nice job with sharpness and the exposure on the moving water. Getting that right is not easy.

Apple fanboy. Another cool tree. Nice exposure with the fog.

Ok that's about all the hunting and pecking I can do on the iPad so on with my choices. My top 3 where all nicely simple and a bit stark. I guess that's what I was looking for. Great job to everyone though.

3rd - Cheese & Apple

2nd - themumu

1st - jkramerbob

Congrats jkramerbob. It's on to you.

jkramerbob

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Indiana
OK. I think the photos this week were some of the most enjoyable that I've seen since I started visiting/posting on this forum. Thank-you for the time spent analyzing each photo while on the road JDDavis! This isn't easy under normal conditions. I will get the next contest posted within today.

----------

I really like this photo!

----------

I really didn't know which one to enter for this as I have two I really like. This one won out for some reason.

One of my favorites this week also MacRy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.