Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I just did a fresh install of Mavericks and previously always used POP, but since I've entered modern era, I know see the benefits of using IMAP to have my mails synchronized on both my iPhone 5S and my rMBP.

Hence, I just set up my gmail account on my rMPB with IMAP settings. In result, Mail pulled all emails from my Gmail account to my desktop inbox. I don't want 1000s of emails in my inbox and need to know if there's a way to delete them from my inbox without deleting them from my gmail account.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Imap is server based, deleting them in an app revolves them from the server. Best to move them to an archive folder if you want them out of inbox.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Imap is server based, deleting them in an app revolves them from the server. Best to move them to an archive folder if you want them out of inbox.

So there's no option to start synchronizing from today with Mail pulling all older emails?

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
No, it synchronises the whole folder, you'll need to move them. Or there might be an option in your mail app to synchronise only the last few days.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you want the mail in your Inbox at Gmail and not on your Mac then what rctlr says is your answer.

You might be able to configure a Mail rule that will move them to a different folder after a specified time. That won't be much help if it's because of the hard drive space they consume that you don't want all the mail on the Mac. If that's the case I think using the web interface is your best solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.