Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I haven't played a RTS since Warcraft 3. If I want to play a RTS does it make sense to re-play Warcraft 3, or should I give Starcraft, which I barely played, a chance? Do y'all have any other recommendations?

I don't want to play League of Legends due to an unhealthy gaming community as well as the "free-2-play" nature of that game.

Thanks!

ValtermcPires

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2013
Portugal, Cascais
See if you like any of these:

- Total War: Rome II
- Company of Heroes 2

And since you like StarCraft, pretty sure you will enjoy the new one, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I would definitely give Starcraft 2 a chance. It's the most polished RTS on the Mac at the moment. Just ignore the story, it's awful. Company of Heroes is also great, although the Mac version is Mac-Mac only, I believe, and I don't know how healthy the online MP is.

Planetary Annihilation is one to look out for in the future. It's in beta and rather expensive at the moment (because you're paying for beta access) but it has great potential (made by the Total Annihilation devs.)

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I've played Warcraft III since it was released, that game is just... incredible in my opinion and I have never found an RTS that I enjoy as much. I would give a kidney for more Warcraft RTS games lol Sadly the online is pretty much dead on the U.S. servers (not sure about others). Quick match & ladder are hacked to death and player hosted custom maps are nearly impossible thanks to a huge amount of bots that create a flood of games no one joins lol.

Anyways, if you're looking for a more recent RTS for more active online play you can't get any better than Starcraft II. Huge community and Blizzard's decent ladder system makes for good competitive play.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I've played Warcraft III since it was released, that game is just... incredible in my opinion and I have never found an RTS that I enjoy as much. I would give a kidney for more Warcraft RTS games lol Sadly the online is pretty much dead on the U.S. servers (not sure about others). Quick match & ladder are hacked to death and player hosted custom maps are nearly impossible thanks to a huge amount of bots that create a flood of games no one joins lol.

Anyways, if you're looking for a more recent RTS for more active online play you can't get any better than Starcraft II. Huge community and Blizzard's decent ladder system makes for good competitive play.

How is the Starcraft 2 online community? I don't mind competition, but I don't want to play a game with a hostile community. Is there any use playing an online matchmaking game as a n00b? It's unfortunate that WC3 has become virtually obsolete on U.S. servers, but there were many "griefers" for at some time that made joining as a new player as impossible learning experience, so is this issue a lesser problem in Starcraft 2, which is never than WC3?

I downloaded the combination deal for the game on the Blizzard website yesterday, but I only began the campaign without playing online matchmaking. I figure that the campaign will help me with the mechanics and commands for the game without getting creamed in an online match when I can barely press the correct keys. Is this a good plan?

Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I believe if you edit your first post, and select "advanced" you can change the name of the title from "plan" to "play" unless plan is what you intended. :)

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Age Of Empires 2 HD if you have a PC. It has a very strong community, and while the graphics are dated. Its a very well made RTS thats lots of fun to play. Though don't expect it to hold you hand like Warcraft 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.