Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
There are now multiple contenders for Control Center toggles—I've started playing with them, but can't tell which ones are best easily. Though I know it comes down to personal preference, I thought I'd ask what others are using, and how they are working for them.

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Ive tried four so far and am sticking with CCtoggles. This gives me the option to add home and appswitcher to the bottom row thereby almost completely eliminating my need to click the home button.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
There are now multiple contenders for Control Center toggles—I've started playing with them, but can't tell which ones are best easily. Though I know it comes down to personal preference, I thought I'd ask what others are using, and how they are working for them.

I've tried CCSettings and FlipControlCenter. The main difference that I recall is that CCSettings allows for a restart and shutdown toggle - FCC only has a respring toggle. The neat thing FCC has, though, is the ability to disable a certain toggle. So, for instance, you could disable the airplane mode toggle on the lockscreen if you wanted.

Both seemed to work fine - I settled on FCC.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
i went with flipcontrolcenter because it allows you to lock certain toggles on the homescreen, unlike cccontrols. fcc also allows you to change the bottom four icons, unlike cccontrols

the one thing i wish fcc had was a reboot/shutdown toggle though

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got CControls and its really nice but it appears to crash my springboard when i click on the flashback icon since the last update. hope it gets fixed soon

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
Cctoggles. Allows for resspring, reboot, power off, etc. you can add apps to the bottom, and lock certain toggles from being used when the device is locked.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
+1 CCToggles. I like being able to customize the quick launch apps which some other tweaks don't allow. Only thing missing for me is the app switcher integrated into CC so I don't have to invoke the stock one anymore. CCquick and ControlTask has this but aren't compatible with 64-bit yet. However, both are being worked on.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I opted for CCSettings.

Lower dependancies and CCControls has not been updated to work on the 5s as far as i'm aware.Well it didn't work for me.

CCSettings gives me Lte/4G and Mobile/Cullular Data toggles I wanted.

Beatbeckham

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Norway
I opted for CCSettings.

Lower dependancies and CCControls has not been updated to work on the 5s as far as i'm aware.Well it didn't work for me.

CCSettings gives me Lte/4G and Mobile/Cullular Data toggles I wanted.

CCControls has been updated to work with iPhone 5S! :)

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I have only tried CCSettings. I like it because it installs no other dependancies. I know it's not bad to install some, but hey, the less the better.

Also, after checking other ones in youtube, it seems that CCSettings is the only one that will show a prompt in order to confirm if you want to Shut Down, Reboot or Respring your device. That way it's not a problem if you accidentally push any of those toggles.

Only feature I might miss is the option to disable some of the toggles on the lockscreen... but the truth is I always have my phone on me and if someone asks for it he won't be sitting in the lockscreen playing with NC and CC...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I have only tried CCSettings. I like it because it installs no other dependancies. I know it's not bad to install some, but hey, the less the better.

Also, after checking other ones in youtube, it seems that CCSettings is the only one that will show a prompt in order to confirm if you want to Shut Down, Reboot or Respring your device. That way it's not a problem if you accidentally push any of those toggles.

Only feature I might miss is the option to disable some of the toggles on the lockscreen... but the truth is I always have my phone on me and if someone asks for it he won't be sitting in the lockscreen playing with NC and CC...

What if someone steals it and switches it off or switches off the toggles for GPS, wifi and cellular data so that you won't be able to track it/send the lock signal to it?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
What if someone steals it and switches it off or switches off the toggles for GPS, wifi and cellular data so that you won't be able to track it/send the lock signal to it?

The iOS7 activation lock will still stop a person from restoring and using it.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona

Besides what bandofbrothers says below, if my phone gets stolen they can turn it off anyways so no Find My iPhone either.

And if he didn't turn it off and just put airplane mode, he wouldn't be able to unlock it, so he'd have a nice €699 lockscreen.

And on top of that, name one case in which an iPhone has been stolen and then recovered thanks to Find My iPhone. ;)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

True, but I'm more interested in being able to track it than worried about that :)

----------

Besides what bandofbrothers says below, if my phone gets stolen they can turn it off anyways so no Find My iPhone either.

And if he didn't turn it off and just put airplane mode, he wouldn't be able to unlock it, so he'd have a nice €699 lockscreen.

And on top of that, name one case in which an iPhone has been stolen and then recovered thanks to Find My iPhone. ;)

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/10/stolen-car-with-child-inside-tracked-and-found-by-find-my-iphone/

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
LOL I bet the thief didn't even know there was an iPhone inside. He stole a car which happened to have an iPhone inside. If you don't know, you can't disable data or put airplane mode either. ;)
Could you tell me what the first sentence in the article says?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2010/08/iphone-stolen-iphone-found-happens-all-the-time/

Three year old article. A not too wild guess is it's not less common today.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I've read several threads in Macrumors from people who got their phones/laptops stolen and, after going to police with its location thanks to Find My iPhone, went back home with empty hands.

I don't trust Find My iPhone for recovering my phone if its stolen. With iOS7 activation lock, if your iPhone gets stolen it will most probably end up in eBay to sell as parts.

That article from 3 years ago doesn't quite apply, as today I'm sure anyone stealing iPhones knows that turning it off is a first. I've read it here too. "Guy went away and I could see how he was turning it off".

Find My iPhone has two purposes imo:
1. If you think you've lost it. (If you got it stolen then go to point 2.
2. At least anyone who has it now will be stuck with a useless piece of aluminum/plastic and glass.

Anyways. My original point was that restricting access to data or airplane mode in order to avoid theft is a little naive, because if the thief knows that he needs to turn that off, as soon as he sees he can't press the toggles, he'll turn it off.

Could you tell me what the first sentence in the article says?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I don't trust Find My iPhone for recovering my phone if its stolen.
Me neither - I trust it to track the device.

That article from 3 years ago doesn't quite apply, as today I'm sure anyone stealing iPhones knows that turning it off is a first. I've read it here too. "Guy went away and I could see how he was turning it off".
Did I not mention deactivating the long press of the home button when locked? That means no one can turn it off without unlocking it. Also, you're seriously overestimating the intelligence of your average thief.

Anyways. My original point was that restricting access to data or airplane mode in order to avoid theft is a little naive, because if the thief knows that he needs to turn that off, as soon as he sees he can't press the toggles, he'll turn it off.
Who said disabling the toggles prevents theft?

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Some info about the various Control Center toggle options, in case anyone finds it helpful:
All tested on iPhone 5S

CCSettings:
0.0.3-2
  • Dependencies: Cydia Substrate
  • Provides the following toggles: Cellular Data, Wifi, Airplane, Location, DND, Home button, Lock, Bluetooth, Personal Hotspot, Orientation lock, Mute, Vibrate, Screen Shot, LTE, VPN, AutoLock, Shutdown, Reboot, Respring
  • No QuickLaunch modifications
  • No Lockscreen disabling

FlipControlCenter:
  • Dependencies: Activator, FlipSwitch (and RocketBootstrap, a Flipswitch dependency), Cydia Substrate
  • Individual toggles can be disabled on lock screen
  • All toggles can be placed on either "top shelf" (where default iOS toggles are) or "bottom shelf" (QuickLaunch area)
  • Default FlipSwitch toggles: Airplane, Wifi, Bluetooth, DND, Rotation, VPN, LTE, Ringer, Autolock, Hotspot, Vibration, Location, CellularData, Flashlight, Settings, Respring
  • Plus third-party Flipswitch toggles available from Cydia (e.g., f.lux, autocorrect, adblocker, etc.)
  • Additional FlipSwitch toggles bundled with FlipControlCenter available systemwide via Activator: Clock, Calculator, Camera

CCControls:
  • Dependencies: FlipSwitch (and Rocket Bootstrap), CCControls Default Theme, Cydia Substrate
  • Individual toggles can be disabled on lock screen
  • Uses default FlipSwitch toggles (listed above in FlipControlCenter section), plus third party toggles from cydia
  • Additional FlipSwitch toggles bundled with CCControls available systemwide via Activator: Reboot, Shutdown, Safe Mode, Home Button, Sleep Button, Screenshot, App Switcher, Siri
  • Theme-able colors
  • No QuickLaunch modifications

CCToggles:
0.1-6
  • Dependencies: Cydia Substrate, FlipSwitch (with Rocket Bootstrap)
  • Optional dependency: Activator (for Activator QuickLaunch)
  • Individual toggles (and QuickLaunch) can be disabled on lock screen
  • Stock toggles: iOS defaults (Airplane, Wifi, Bluetooth, DND, Orientation) plus Mute, Respring, Power Off, and Reboot
  • Access to default FlipSwitch toggles (listed above in FlipControlCenter section), plus third party toggles from cydia
  • QuickLaunch additions: Internal Settings, AppSwitcher, HomeButton, LockButton, KillAllApps, ScreenShot, Siri
  • Also can add any user-defined app launcher or Activator action to QuickLaunch section
    (Activator menus work as of version 0.1-6)

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Now we're talking. How do you do that?

FlipControlCenter installs Activator as a dependency. Open it, choose lock screen, find the appropriate menu, then the appropriate function.

Take a few minutes to look it through, there's plenty of settings. As an example, I've got swipe in from bottom left to activate app switcher (leaving bottom right for CC), tap and hold on the status bar to imitate a press of the home button, and in springboard I double tap the battery icon to lock the phone. I've also got 3G to switch off/on when I connect/disconnect to a wifi network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.