Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2014, 08:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2014: Griffin Debuts 'PowerMate Bluetooth' Controller for Mac

Griffin today announced a new version of its PowerMate wireless controller for the Mac, bringing wireless Bluetooth 4.0 capability as well a redesigned PowerMate app for easier user configuration.

Like its predecessor, the PowerMate Bluetooth acts as a programmable wireless controller that is designed to replace keyboard shortcuts with twist gestures and clicks. The controller also comes with presets for programs such as iMovie and GarageBand out of the box, as users can add custom commands to any Mac application with the included PowerMate app.

Users can also control the behavior of the pulsing LED on the device to provide system status, and are also able to pair multiple PowerMates through Bluetooth in order to assign specific commands to each.

The PowerMate Bluetooth will be available Summer 2014 for $59.99 through Griffin's official website and various retailers.

Article Link: CES 2014: Griffin Debuts 'PowerMate Bluetooth' Controller for Mac
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2
atropos
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to atropos Send a message via AIM to atropos Send a message via Skype™ to atropos
Sounds cool... my 10 years old PowerMate still work
atropos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 08:35 PM   #3
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

Finally, Tempest!
FakeWozniak is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 08:39 PM   #4
jamezr
macrumors 68030

Take my money please!
I want one!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 09:08 PM   #5
50voltphantom
macrumors regular

Want.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 09:45 PM   #6
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by atropos View Post
Sounds cool... my 10 years old PowerMate still work
Mine doesn't Around the update to OSX Leopard, it stopped recognizing the PowerMate and a subsequent update to the Griffin software didn't help. I wonder if this new software will be compatible with the old PowerMate.

EDIT: The product page says
Quote:
And if you already use a corded PowerMate, PowerMate Bluetooth works just fine alongside its older sibling.
I'll be getting this wireless version to control my Philips Hue lights and as a master volume for my home audio.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:31 PM   #7
DrManhattan
Banned

I really want some kind of home theatre volume knob like this. Maybe I can use this on my Mac Mini HTPC though. Hmm...
DrManhattan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:34 AM   #8
elmateo487
macrumors 6502

The old version of this was in the movie "The Island"

This combined with Alfred or a move powerful automator than Griffen could come up with, would make this a powerful tool.
elmateo487 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:44 AM   #9
foobarbaz
macrumors 6502

They definitely need a better way of describing that thing. I have no clue how it works? Should I think Magic Trackpad, or more iPod click wheel?
foobarbaz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 04:54 AM   #10
hogo
macrumors regular

GarageBand compatibility out of the box is good. If that works with Logic Pro X as well then it will be great.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 05:42 AM   #11
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobarbaz View Post
They definitely need a better way of describing that thing. I have no clue how it works? Should I think Magic Trackpad, or more iPod click wheel?
It's a Magic Track Wheel.
Xenc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 06:46 AM   #12
Al Downie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenc View Post
It's a Magic Track Wheel.
Magic Track Wheel Light Button, surely?
Al Downie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 07:18 AM   #13
finaldiner
macrumors newbie

Remind me again why is a mouse so desperately uncool?
finaldiner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaldiner View Post
They could always put a twisty turny thingy into a mouse, but...

Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:14 AM   #15
xxmrcxx
macrumors newbie

I would rather use BetterTouchTool. Nothing to transport, the developer is constantly updating it, I can assign controls to almost anything. Plus, it's a free. It's the essential app on my computer.
xxmrcxx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Al Downie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmrcxx View Post
BetterTouchTool
Blimey! Three fingers swipe left plus one finger down plus left trouser leg rolled up = 'Quit'
Al Downie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:58 AM   #17
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaldiner View Post
It isn't a mouse replacement, it just adds another physical control to your computer. Take for example - video or audio editing. A lot of time will be spent scrubbing through tracks, and having a physical dial to control is just much more comfortable and accurate than using a mouse scroll wheel.

Then outside of that context you have a really cool volume dial for your computer
Old Jan 6, 2014, 09:16 AM   #18
chiefsilverback
macrumors member

I bought a PowerMate years ago and I think it stopped working at some point but this has prompted me to dig it out and see if it might magic back to life...
chiefsilverback is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:18 AM   #19
mfelb282
macrumors newbie

Geek Tool

I'm impressed with this tool. Very "Apple" in style and would recommend as a gift for any geek. Will keep in mind for family member birthdays. :-)
mfelb282 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:27 AM   #20
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

This sounds cool.
Anyone use it with garageband or logic and have some cool ideas of usage for it?

Or really any ideas, because at this point it is something I want for the geek factor, but don't know how to include it in a workflow.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:29 AM   #21
xMacMusox
macrumors newbie

I'll be getting this wireless version to control my Philips Hue lights and as a master volume for my home audio.[/QUOTE]

+1 ^^
xMacMusox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:42 AM   #22
Muleguy
macrumors newbie

I bet you it goes all the way to 11

Muleguy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:42 AM   #23
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

I have a USB Powermate. The hardware is quite wonderful in every way. The software however, sucks. They just didn't support it over the years even though they kept selling them as new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmateo487 View Post
The old version of this was in the movie "The Island".
I also spotted one on "Firefly" in the episode "Trash". It was on a control panel near an exterior door where Malcolm and Saffron had just escaped through, and were jamming the door closed.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 02:08 PM   #24
claud9999
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
The software however, sucks.
Yes the software has always and will likely forever suck. My PowerMate has sat idly in the drawer and as I'm going to be working on a film with a friend, a NLE-happy jog dial will be quite useful. Too bad this thing doesn't work well for that, or for a volume dial, or for playing Tempest or anything useful. They should open up the software as open source and hope someone else makes it functional.
claud9999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 03:05 PM   #25
elmateo487
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud9999 View Post
Yes the software has always and will likely forever suck. My PowerMate has sat idly in the drawer and as I'm going to be working on a film with a friend, a NLE-happy jog dial will be quite useful. Too bad this thing doesn't work well for that, or for a volume dial, or for playing Tempest or anything useful. They should open up the software as open source and hope someone else makes it functional.
You can LITERALLY automate every single thing you can possibly think of to a keystroke, with either Alfred or BetterTouchTool, then map that keystroke to any of the functions of the PowerMate.
elmateo487 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion