Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2014, 09:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2014: Square and Griffin Announce 'Merchant Case + Square Reader' for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5

Credit card processing company Square and accessory manufacturer Griffin today announced the Merchant Case + Square Reader, a specialized case that integrates itself with the popular mobile card payment system for added convenience.

The case itself is made from a non-slip silicone material, and provides a custom fit to the included Square Reader. The card reader can also detach itself from the case and can be stored in the back of the accessory for easy access.

Compatible with the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, the Merchant Case + Square Reader is now available for pre-order from Griffin's website for $19.95 and ships in 1-2 weeks.

Article Link: CES 2014: Square and Griffin Announce 'Merchant Case + Square Reader' for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2
kevinbal
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to kevinbal
Which is great until Square redesigns their reader for the 4th time in 2 years...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 09:29 PM   #3
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Now I can make wireless cash withdrawals like in GTA online!
tevion5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 09:43 PM   #4
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Surely touch and go is the way now.

Never let your bank card out of you sight as I just had mine used on car parking in New York and i've never been there. I believe it happens because restaurants in the US take your card away to log the amount on the card. I never allow this now as I use their machine not the staff. I never let anyone touch my bank card.
KiwiAdventure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 09:47 PM   #5
budselectjr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAdventure View Post

Never let your bank card out of you sight as I just had mine used on car parking in New York and i've never been there. I believe it happens because restaurants in the US take your card away to log the amount on the card. I never allow this now as I use their machine not the staff. I never let anyone touch my bank card.
completely relevant to the conversation.
budselectjr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
Rajani Isa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Well, in this instance, there is no reason for them to swipe out of sight.

*shrug*

Frankly, if they were going to work on a case together, I'd expect something more like the old Mophie reader case.
Rajani Isa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Pigumon
Banned

Why wasn't this just integrated into the bottom of the case making it nice and tidy?
Pigumon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 02:28 AM   #8
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigumon View Post
Why wasn't this just integrated into the bottom of the case making it nice and tidy?
That would make it more expensive in the long run. This way you can just replace the case when upgrading your device.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 05:58 AM   #9
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigumon View Post
They also could have added a battery pack into the case to provide longer use-periods.
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:24 AM   #10
xxmrcxx
macrumors newbie

Sounds like a solution to an irrelevant issue. I've never had an issue with losing my reader or having issues swiping it.
xxmrcxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

lame

they should have partenred together and created a case that with a built in reader. this case doesnt do anyhting that other bulky cases dont already do.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:45 AM   #12
nsayer
macrumors 6502a

Chip & Pin

I am a square user (from both ends), and every time I use it I can't help pondering what it would take to make Chip and Pin a reality in the US. Get rid of magnetic stripes and you get rid of the vast majority of the credit card fraud. It doesn't matter to me whether it's contactless or not, but it's high time for a PKI based smart card solution for credit card authorizations.
nsayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:32 AM   #13
jjwarwick
macrumors newbie

Chip and Pin was rolled out in the UK in 2004 - and became mandatory a year later. It massively reduced fraud, so it's insane that people are still swiping cards and signing.

Square are missing out on a massive market with this outdated technology.
jjwarwick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:05 PM   #14
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwarwick View Post
Chip and Pin was rolled out in the UK in 2004 - and became mandatory a year later. It massively reduced fraud, so it's insane that people are still swiping cards and signing.

Square are missing out on a massive market with this outdated technology.
the best way to use Square today is w/ swipeless transactions. the customer uses Wallet, the merchant Register. they find each other automatically and you dont even have to remove your phone (but you can respond to the push alert to include a tip if you like).
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 05:28 PM   #15
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:

Oh ok. You must be fun to go out with.
curmudgeon32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:58 PM   #16
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion