Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2014, 09:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2014: Parrot Unveils 'MiniDrone' and 'Jumping Sumo' iOS Controlled Vehicles

Parrot, the company behind the iPhone-controlled AR.Drone Wi-Fi quadricopter, revealed two new products at CES 2014 including the MiniDrone, a smaller version of the AR.Drone, and the Jumping Sumo, a robotic car with individually controlled wheels.

Like Parrot's other products, the MiniDrone is controlled using an iOS app, allowing a user to adjust the pitch, yaw, altitude and rotation with ease. Parrot's MiniDrone also comes with large wheels that act as a protective barrier around the rotors, allowing for the device to be durable when bouncing off of objects. The Verge also explained the device's internal features:
Quote:
On the tech side of things, Parrot's using an accelerometer, ultrasonic sensor, gyroscope, and downwards-facing camera to give the drone all it needs to stay aloft. Unlike the AR.Drone, there's no usable camera on board and no video output -- you'll have to make do with watching the MiniDrone buzz around the room. Bluetooth 4.0 is used to communicate with the drone, and the company says that offers a maximum range in clear air of about 160 feet.
Meanwhile, Parrot's Jumping Sumo is controlled by a system that uses swipe gestures, accelerometer detection, and gyroscope movement to navigate and turn. The device itself includes an onboard QVGA camera and dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi to communicate with the included iPad app, as users can view the perspective from the robot in real-time.

Both drones are expected to be released later this year, with pricing info to be determined.

Article Link: CES 2014: Parrot Unveils 'MiniDrone' and 'Jumping Sumo' iOS Controlled Vehicles
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 09:40 AM   #2
joshwenke
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to joshwenke Send a message via Skype™ to joshwenke
No camera? So I can't use this to spy on people like I did with the first one?
joshwenke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:55 PM   #3
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

If it had sensors to detect a collision and avoid it then the drone would be lighter and not look so ugly.
BornAgainMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwenke View Post
No camera? So I can't use this to spy on people like I did with the first one?
AirDrone Mini has no camera? Sorry no camera, no buy.

I was interested in this until the part that said no built-in camera(s).
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post

Exactly. Without a camera, it has no use.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Kenrik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post

Yeah not sure what the point is without video? - You can get a Mini Quad Copter (no video) on Amazon for around $50.
Kenrik is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion