Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
OK, here is one for you that only a select few of you may have come across.

So back in April I had my HD replaced under the apple program FOC. Before then my iMac (later 2009 model) was fine. Everything on it worked fine, iMessage, Facetime etc all worked. Got the iMac back and thought I would start from a fresh install of 10.8 back then.

Guess what, no Facetime, iMessage wouldnt work. Sound familiar to some of you? So, I restored my time machine backup. Same issue, iMessage and Facetime just wont work and haven't since that day. Bit of a non issue for me since I have iPad and iPhone to use but it did bug me enough to keep researching the issue.

Went through the usual things like deleting .plist files etc and nothing would solve it. I then came across a bit of info stating your mac serial is used for icould services. If you don't have a serial number showing under about my mac this could be your issue. This would happen if you have had the logic board replaced. Which I have had done, 3 months after I purchased it.

So I checked. There was a serial number there. Drat!! Now, just out of pure curiosity, I wanted to know if it was correct and it would show up on the apple database. So typed it in...the result...unrecognised serial...:eek:

Now some investigation! I didn't know where the serial on the iMac was embossed so found it on the net. Since I was on it/using it I didn't want to move it and look on the bottom of the stand. So I searched my emails for the service email I got from Apple Genius bar when I took my mac for the replacement HDD. Serial number was there. TOTALLY Different to what is shown under About My Mac. :eek::eek:

Switched the mac off and checked underneath...Same as what was on the email.

I have tomorrow at 6pm an appointment with Genius to sort this issue out. They say they will need to replace the logic board as it cant be re-serialised. We will see then if that solves the issue of icloud, imessage, facetime.

Sorry its a long-ish story, but hows that for a peculiar one! :p

Andy

Mess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Dropped the iMac off last night. None the Apple "Genius" :rolleyes: guys had ever seen anything like it.

They are replacing the logic board free of charge for me. :D Should have it back in a few days so hopefully all icloud functionality will return. :cool:

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.